Notices

Plans for Spring build

Old 03-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans for Spring build

My buddy is getting out of the scene and is selling his built motor, and a brand new turbo kit that he never used. We both own a 2000si and basically we are going to swap motors and I will give him money on top of that for his built motor. Then I will purchase the turbo kit and additional parts from him at a discounted price...total around $6000 for everything.

My motor is all stock and has 64k original miles and recently had a 60k mile check-up, so it is good to go. His motor has 80k original miles, and 20k of those were with the built motor. See below for the info on his motor and turbo kit...

My original plan was to build my motor, purchase a turbo kit, and run it about 300hp. But now my plans have changed because of the great deal that I am getting. I don't know the potential of this set-up, but my guess is that i'll be pushing around 400hp. I can't go all out because I don't have the money, however I also plan to get gauges, lsd, ecu and tuning, and new tires...$4000 or so.

What do you guys think??? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Motor:
The block and head are the original castings. The block was bored 20 over, decked, and cleaned. It has forged SRP pistons and rings. Forged Eagle rods. The crankshaft is stock, it was cleaned and polished. All bearings were replaced with clevite bearings. ARP main studs and head studs were installed. The head recieved a five angle valve job, cleaned, miced, and pressure tested. Ferrea intake and exhaust oversized valves. Set of stage 2 comp cams, Comp cams Valve springs, and titanium retainers. Cometic Head gasket. All new intake and exhaust guides. Type R oil pump. Pro series Skunk2 intake manifold. Felpro gasket kit. Pretty much the whole motor with all the work done to it (labor and parts) cost about $4000.00.

Turbo:
Neukin turbo kit cost $3,300. It includes a 44mm silver Tial wastegate w/ v-band flange, 50mm silver tial BOV, Precision SC61 turbo (capable of 600hp), Precision 600hp intercooler, Oil feed line, Neukin ramhorn exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe w/recir dumptube, Precision 1000cc injectors, couplers and clamps for intercooler piping. All the kit needs is intercooler pipng and oil drain line.

Other parts:
Mishimoto aluminum racing radiator, AEM fuel pressure regulator, Nopi T1 guage cluster bezel, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 AM

turbo is way too big for 300hp and too big for the streets period if you ask me. Spool should be had around 6000+RPM's. But since your buddy already has this kit, just go with it, and if you don't like it, then drop to a smaller turbo down the road. Solid build, but the SRP pistons are not the best choice for anything above streetable power. Oh yeah, you won't need a 44mm wastegate unless your running high boost for like 550+whp or something big.

The best of luck to you.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fueledpassion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fueledpassion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turbo is way too big for 300hp and too big for the streets period if you ask me. Spool should be had around 6000+RPM's. But since your buddy already has this kit, just go with it, and if you don't like it, then drop to a smaller turbo down the road. Solid build, but the SRP pistons are not the best choice for anything above streetable power. Oh yeah, you won't need a 44mm wastegate unless your running high boost for like 550+whp or something big.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info!!! I don't want an all out drag car, just something I can enjoy on the street and autox/strip once in a while. So I may end up selling or returning some of the parts if possible.

Also, my friend mentioned that his compression ratio is something like 10.5:1.

What kind of power are the SRP pistons good for? Will the 44mm wastegate cause any problems if not boosting 550+whp?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 AM

really I couldn't begin to tell you an actual HP number for the pistons. There's no way I could back up that claim. But I wouldn't push anything over 550whp, unless busting a ring or burning a piston up is not a big upset to my budget. Really, for a fun street setup w/ 300whp (which is plenty for a DD), I would use a disco potato, which is actually what I am planned to use for my next B16 build.

As for the wastegate, I think you can use it. It's not going to hurt your setup, but it's just not necessary, that's what I meant. I've heard that big wastegate's are good for big turbo's at low boost, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, your definately good for more power on the street than your tires and suspension could actually use.

Your compression is good for the street. 10.5:1 will help spool on any turbo, and will overall be a little more responsive. Just be careful with your timing, don't go off on a tangent when tuning and you should be alright.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fueledpassion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah, you won't need a 44mm wastegate unless your running high boost for like 550+whp or something big.

The best of luck to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wastegates work the other way around. if he doesnt want to run less than 550 then a smaller one would work fine. at low boost a manifold needs to exhaust more gases to maintain low turbine speeds. 44mm is perfect for your setup.

to the OP sounds like a good deal 300whp is easily obtainable with this setup. 10.5:1 isnt exactly ideal for a boosted setup but as long as you set your goals accordingly it will be fine. the turbo is a little on the large side, you might be better off selling or trading it possibly for a smaller one that offers a better spool within your limitations.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

[QUOTE=mike@synapse motorsport]

wastegates work the other way around. if he doesnt want to run less than 550 then a smaller one would work fine. at low boost a manifold needs to exhaust more gases to maintain low turbine speeds. 44mm is perfect for your setup.

ahh, I got the idea backwards. I thought I might've. But explain to me why people have dual 44mm wastegates on some of their setups for larger horsepower? I've always been told that 38mm is good for anything on the street, regardless if you want 250whp or 450whp, even a few respectable engine builders have advised me to stick w/ 38mm. In addition to make more sense out of my previous post, I thought larger wastegates were acceptable if you have a low boost/large turbo setup as well.

Yeah, your turbo is too big for that motor. It'd be different if you had an H22 or somethin similar.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again thanks for any and all input!

I spoke to my buddy again and he said that the 10.5:1 compression will be good for the turbo because it will build boost faster. He agreed that the pistons will limit the amount of boost (10psi max) that the motor will be able to run, however it will still be pushing around 400hp because of the large turbo.

He said that the reason why he purchased the SC61 is because he liked the fact that it provides continuous power through redline, rather than maxing out at just 6000rpms, and that it has room for upgrades in the future.