Notices

problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating

about 400 miles ago i was doing a 4th gear pull and BAM my 4th gear just explodes. been driving on a new tranny and just today i was doing a 3rd gear pull and the same thing happens. it explodes and i instantly have no 3rd gear.

question is. i need a tranny that is going to be indestructible and not blow up gears left and right. is there anyone who can build an indestructible d16z6 tranny? gearspeed?

(efi2nr, i dont want to hear it..)
Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cyro treating them should make them much more durable
Old 03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cyro treating them should make them much more durable</TD></TR></TABLE>

who can build me a tranny that wont keep blowing up gears?

this is how it went down the past two times.. i was already in the gear just cruising around, i punch the gas, start moving along, and WHAM clunk clunk, no more moving and no more gear.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh here is a pic of my last one about 400 miles ago.. the 3rd gear just blew up today so the tranny is still in the car. i have another good spare tranny (i like to collect them) but i dont want to put it in because i have a feeling this will happen again in a few hundred miles..

Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

..see if liberty can make you a custom gearset.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (boostfeen)

use a b-series motor/tranny. problem solved.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (powerofdreams8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerofdreams8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use a b-series motor/tranny. problem solved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Die.

To the OP-

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
..see if liberty can make you a custom gearset.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM

who build the trany? I run a 400+ pump gas sohc my self and have not had any trans issues. I'm running a Quaife differential is all that's been added and i'm even using the 97 Dx trans with the long gearing.

when rebuilding the trans there are several specs that have to be followed to the "T" if not then it can cause binding under loads and thus lead to exactly what your dealing with.

anyway, sorry if this isn't any help, but good luck man.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no im not going to go with a b-series tranny.. it would cost more than to just build the z6 tranny and then at the end i would still have a stock b-series tranny. im only on 400whp so...

couple of you said something about liberty? got any links? i dont know them.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

4th gear pulls are a lot harder on your tranny but if youre picking up these transmissions from the junkyard or craigslist, you dont know what theyve been through or if the synchros are even good. definitely i would recommend new seals and cryo treating..
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might be mistaken, but isn't there a D2B transmission adapter avalibe? If so I would deffiantley go that route.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (BB6-213)

You think its possible that its just driving habits? It seems that you are the only one with chronic exploding gears.

Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6-213)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6-213 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I might be mistaken, but isn't there a D2B transmission adapter avalibe? If so I would deffiantley go that route.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think that there is.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think that there is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There definitley is such a thing.. check out rota92's car.. i think he has one installed.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There definitley is such a thing.. check out rota92's car.. i think he has one installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah he is running one, last i heard (which was a while ago) was it was still in prototype phase, not ready for mass distribution yet. Have to PM him to find out for sure.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There definitley is such a thing.. check out rota92's car.. i think he has one installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i think he has the ONLY one installed

heres a question, what are you using for transmission fluid?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4th gear pulls are a lot harder on your tranny but if youre picking up these transmissions from the junkyard or craigslist, you dont know what theyve been through or if the synchros are even good. definitely i would recommend new seals and cryo treating..</TD></TR></TABLE>

so how does that explain the 3rd gear then? no im picking these transmissions up from cars that i know and cars that are still being driven.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think its possible that its just driving habits? It seems that you are the only one with chronic exploding gears.

Just a thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i dont think thats it. but out of curiousity.. what kind of driving habits do you think i have that is causing these problems im having?

im not going witha b-series tranny....all i really want to know which no one has answered really yet is where can i get a z6 tranny built to be indestructible?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, i think he has the ONLY one installed

heres a question, what are you using for transmission fluid? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the first tranny which 4th gear blew up i used gm syncromesh

then on this one which 3rd gear blew up i used honda MTF since i thought the syncromesh could have made my 4th gear blow up on the other tranny.

both trannies were taken apart and cleaned and inspected when i put the LSD in them. everything was perfectly good and worked great for a few hundred miles.. but thats all i did, just the lsd. the rest is stock tranny. i dont have a tranny builder like everyone is thinking.. im looking for one though that can build me one to be indestructible and maybe have a warrenty.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating (mike93eh2)

Something else might be causing this but if you want to try something I would look into RacerSteve's treatment

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=6
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating (alpha)

A handcuff would solve your issues. Will a B-series Handcuff fit a D-series?
I handcuff would prvent the gearest from spreading apart and riping the teeth of 3rd or 4th.
As far as an indestructable trans.......Liberty........BUT they do not offer a gearset for a d-series, and they propably never will. The K-series is next in line.

They would possibly build the Handcuffs for D-series if enough people needed them.

Just check to see if the B-cuff would fit a D. I have never tried it.

Heat treating will do NO GOOD, if it is spreading and riping the teeth off. If you make the power you say you do. Then that is you problem......case closed.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what exactly is causing the gearset to spread apart?

would love to have a handcuff but i cant get rid of my 5th gear.. this is a street car and driven on the highway all the time.

i know the problem is the power.. but that doesnt mean i just give up and trash this project. im looking for a solution here.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exactly is causing the gearset to spread apart?

would love to have a handcuff but i cant get rid of my 5th gear.. this is a street car and driven on the highway all the time.

i know the problem is the power.. but that doesnt mean i just give up and trash this project. im looking for a solution here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bad bearings will cause the gears to spred apart (like loose). replace your bearings, and if you want cryotreat the gears (not that expensive). several race teams cryotreat their gears. you can really cryotreat anything.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bad bearings will cause the gears to spred apart (like loose). replace your bearings, and if you want cryotreat the gears (not that expensive). several race teams cryotreat their gears. you can really cryotreat anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the bearings werent loose or look worn when i was putting the lsd in..
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating (alpha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something else might be causing this but if you want to try something I would look into RacerSteve's treatment

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=6</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look into that, I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look into that, I've heard nothing but good things about it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

but i think fmunk is right.. it looks like they are seperating. thats what is causing the damage as you can see in the pic. so cryo treating them isnt going to help anything that much. why would it be seperating though?

Quick Reply: problem with gears blowing up and disenegrating