Notices

Planning to piece my own turbo kit where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to piece my own turbo kit where to start?

I am running on a JDM d15b fresh from hmotors and now i am planning to turbo it in the summer! My budget would be 2000 dollars. Some people are suggesting to just buy a turbo kit from greddy but i would rather build my own and save money in the process. Dont know much about turbos just started researching but where would be some good websites to buy parts from. Also maybe someone could recommend a setup they have liked before.
Looking for
Reliable turbo
Good wastegate
HKS hardlines
Good manifold
Piping? ebay? not sure
Injectors

Im planning to get it tuned by Speedfactory or intec
Thanks for the help in advance
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Planning to piece my own turbo kit where to start?

Have you talked to speedfactory about buying a kit from them? Ricky makes some really nice manifolds.

Ebay is a really good place to buy things. Make sure you keep it brand name, and don't buy ebay brand.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest the only brand name i know is...greddy.. LOL fail
Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Master Detailer

Give them a call, i belive they are still closed on Mondays.

It will still likely be a little bit out of your budget, but, you can trust what SF makes. And you can trust, the piping/manifold will fit correctly.

Are you ok with buying used parts?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Master Detailer

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/st...ct=1650795---- Manifold is a little expensive, but is likely better then any crap you'll find on eBay.

Wastegates- These are Tial, there are cheaper brands out there.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

Tial BOV's.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tia....c0.m270.l1313

These may be out of your budget when you figure a complete setup, but this will give you a little idea.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i was just looking at those Manifolds and my friend was saying those are good buy i shouldnt be spending more then 200 on a manifold. im planning to just do a 6-10 psi safe boost. Thanks for your help bro
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html
Very high-quality stuff. Greg is an awesome guy to deal with as well.
Complete kit $1979.99
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check out Speed Factory / Spoolin Performance / Synapse Turbo. They all have good turbo kits that they offer!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unphzd
Yeah i was just looking at those Manifolds and my friend was saying those are good buy i shouldnt be spending more then 200 on a manifold. im planning to just do a 6-10 psi safe boost. Thanks for your help bro
I would use a 3525700-spec (cummins 3802347) h1c fitted with a 12cm turbine housing because those turbos can be had cheaply. The inducer on the compressor wheel is pretty puny, so it will spin up quickly and make enough boost, and the 12cm housing will get the thing going sooner than later.

The turbo will produce good torque for your goals and it is upgradable for when you want more boost: you can switch out the turbine housing first, and upgrade the compressor side after that. You can take that frame all the way to hx40 spec, or leave it alone as it is.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok im not sell you a kit but what you should do first is check the faq thread at the top and read threw all the topics in there since as you build this your probably going to ask all the questions in there.
And I would look into a 14b or 16g turbo. Holsets are huge and heavy. If its your first turbo I would piece it all together so you could learn about all the components that go into a kit and you'll know how to fix things as problems pop up in this perfect world. Good luck
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're looking for injectors, we highly recommend using FIC. Here's their website and their wide range of injectors. Reasonably priced and we use them on our race cars as well as our customers cars.

http://www.fuelinjectorclinic.com/honda/

If you have any questions, PM us.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Ok im not sell you a kit but what you should do first is check the faq thread at the top and read threw all the topics in there since as you build this your probably going to ask all the questions in there.
And I would look into a 14b or 16g turbo. Holsets are huge and heavy. If its your first turbo I would piece it all together so you could learn about all the components that go into a kit and you'll know how to fix things as problems pop up in this perfect world. Good luck
holsets are pretty big for sure, but the h1c specified is not too huge. If you went holset, you would trade a little boost response for upgradability, but if you went mitsu, you trade good boost response for the DSM footprint that you are stuck with. The 14b/16g turbos from the talons/eclipse run a one off flange that only works with other DSM flanged turbos, but they are a better match for a 1.5.

If someone made a td05h turbo with a t3 flange that was cheap, that would be the way.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Re: Planning to piece my own turbo kit where to start?

Its not impossible to make a flange for a manifold. Or an adapter. And those turbos usually come off 2.0 liter engines. As the holsets come from like a 6.0 litre.
Whats the specs on that h1c inducer/exducer specs of the compressor wheel? How much cfm's does it flow?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not impossible to make a flange for a manifold. Or an adapter. And those turbos usually come off 2.0 liter engines. As the holsets come from like a 6.0 litre.
Whats the specs on that h1c inducer/exducer specs of the compressor wheel? How much cfm's does it flow?
yeah it's not impossible to do any of that, but these turbos come off 2.0 engines that make 186hp (14b) and 300ish hp (big 16g), and real mitsubishi turbos are becoming rare while copies are becoming more common. Plus, the td05h is not that tough of a turbo-their service life is relatively short because of the application, so used ones are only really worth $50-$100 because they need to be rebuilt.

http://www.turbointernational.com/pr...&turbotype=228

i'll have to find the flow/map, but by the numbers (trim) it looks like a very mild compressor wheel.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4cylfeind
Complete kit $1979.99
I still think this ^^ will be his easiest and most hassle free route.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

forgot to add: the turbo is from a 4btaa 3.9 engine
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still think this ^^ will be his easiest and most hassle free route.
seems expensive for what you get-does the turbo run a 360 thrust bearing?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think its too expensive considering the quality of what you get. Its definatly not EMUSA stuff. Those kits are around $1,000 but have shitty intercooler piping and dont come with the Tial wastegate and blowoff valve. Those are components that I wouldnt want to over look. Wastegate failure is pretty common on "ebay" wgs. Plus the nice thing about this kit is that its a custom built kit so the intercooler piping wont have to be hacked up. Plus having a nice oil line kit is nice, especially with AN fittings. It could probably be done a little cheaper but I dont think the end result would be as nice.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think its too expensive considering the quality of what you get. Its definatly not EMUSA stuff. Those kits are around $1,000 but have shitty intercooler piping and dont come with the Tial wastegate and blowoff valve. Those are components that I wouldnt want to over look. Wastegate failure is pretty common on "ebay" wgs. Plus the nice thing about this kit is that its a custom built kit so the intercooler piping wont have to be hacked up. Plus having a nice oil line kit is nice, especially with AN fittings. It could probably be done a little cheaper but I dont think the end result would be as nice.
Yeah, you're probably right, but for me it's all about the turbo. if the kit doesn't come with a performance spec turbo and comes with a diesel spec one, I would just get the cheapest setup I could find and replace parts as needed.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Complete kit $1979.99
This is really the better way to do this than to search high and low for some of these hard to integrate parts. If it were 1999, sure, but not for today's Honda aftermarket

Originally Posted by 303Turbos
You'd be surprised about how well the quality is for these things to justify the price. In addition, it includes all the smaller crap that one has to go to several other locations for; oil feed & return lines, fittings, flanges, return and inlet gaskets, and all the fit/finish needed to do a relatively good job of install, run and tune.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM

You of all people should know that for a setup like this really doesn't matter whether it is 270* or 360* cartridge. Yes, the 360* is more durable for abusive applications (especially if not using the old spring tensioner to hold in the thrust washer), but for 70% of those that use one of these turbochargers (especially for a d15), a 270* works just fine. Only when you're looking at the larger sized turbochargers, or those that are planned to be at higher boost pressures are you going to need 360* bearing system
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You of all people should know that for a setup like this really doesn't matter whether it is 270* or 360* cartridge. Yes, the 360* is more durable for abusive applications (especially if not using the old spring tensioner to hold in the thrust washer), but for 70% of those that use one of these turbochargers (especially for a d15), a 270* works just fine. Only when you're looking at the larger sized turbochargers, or those that are planned to be at higher boost pressures are you going to need 360* bearing system
well here is what I always see-people get el cheapo turbos and run them at 120% capacity all the time and they don't last. every turbo will wear out when you do this, but the cheapos wear faster because they have the 270 bearing.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 PM

well here is what I always see-people get el cheapo turbos and run them at 120% capacity all the time and they don't last. every turbo will wear out when you do this, but the cheapos wear faster because they have the 270 bearing.
That's because they have cheapo 270* bearings from a crap ebay turbocharger. Not actual Garrett 270* bearings.