Notices

Piston & Rod installation ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 07:23 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Piston & Rod installation ?

I'm thinking of installing forged pistons and rods and some ARP head bolts in my engine. I'm trying to avoid the expense of a complete rebuild (ie with new sleeve, etc.) until I decide to get a whole new car in a couple of years.

Has anyone done this type of work with the engine still in the car? Is it possible to do it yourself if you've never done that kind of thing before just using the Helms manual?

thanks!
Old 06-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Piston & Rod installation ? (GruvyTune)

I've heard it is possible with the engine in the car, but it isn't recommended.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:49 AM

Good luck trying to hone your block and plastigauge everything while your engine is in your car. I would definately not recommend doing it in the car. You should bore or at least hone the cylinder walls if they aren't that worn when u install the new pistons. There's no easy way to just throw in some pistons and rods.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:54 AM
New User

Default Re: Piston & Rod installation ?

yeah its possible, but if you have to hone it, it will get messy.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston & Rod installation ? (Aeka GSR)

You can do it with the motor still in the car. If you want to hone it, you can just take the pistons out, and tape some cloth below each cylinder to keep the dust from getting all over everything. (jeremy and I have done this) It's easy to plastigauge the rod bearings with the motor still in the car.

However, if you want to change the main bearings, you have to remove the crank. And if you remove the crank, you have to remove the transmission and flywheel. So it's easier to just pull the entire motor.

Dustin
Old 06-02-2002, 10:24 AM
New User

Default Re: Piston & Rod installation ? (dustin)

thanks!
i guess I'll just wait and start building a new engine for when I decide to get a newer GSR! I can't see taking this one out at this point. Dustin, you ever give lessons on engine building? I can't seem to find a local mechanic that is willing to have me watch over his shoulder for anything. I usually do everything myself but the first time tearing apart and building an engine I would rather have some guidance. Anyone in my neck of the woods that is good at this? Its either that or just have someone like ImportBuilders do the whole thing for me?

torin
Old 06-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The stuff really is not that hard... the helm manual has more than enough info for you to do all of it. I think people are just scared of the insides of motors
Old 06-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once you tear apart a motor and put it together once, youll never be afraid to do it again.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:55 AM

true

helm's does help

i am thiking of doing it myself, just pistons an rods

good to have HT help too !
Old 06-02-2002, 12:10 PM
New User

so Dustin,
If I get an engine and send it off to GE to have it sleeved, should I have them do the boring and fitment of new pistons too? or, should I have them return the sleeved engine to me and I do it all myself (take it to a local machine shop to do the honeing/boring)? Or send it on to someone else like Importbuilders? If I will be in a position to take my time, will it be better to do it all myself?
Old 06-02-2002, 03:34 PM

I would have GE hone it and fit the pistons too. I would trust them because you know they do good work. Alot of machine shops (at least in my area) are shotty and I wouldn't trust their work. Then when they send it back you can install the pistons, rings, rods, and have some fun installing bearings. There's no reason why you can't assembly then engine by yourself, just make sure you check the tolerances and triple check yourself. Get a Helms manual and have some fun. It'll be good if you have the extra motor because you'll have some time to work on it. I rebuilt my first motor last year (B18A) and its strong as hell. Its always rewarding doing something yourself and having it turn out good