Notices

Piston material

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston material

I was doing some reasearch on this site trying to decide which piston to buy for a turbo set-up. (Arias or JE) So far I learned that the Arias have a high silicon content which doesn't really expand but you can run tigher clearances. And the JE pistons have low minimum silicon content, but expand and are stronger. I know yoyu can't go wrong with either but what would you want for a close to 400whp build, a stronger low silicon expanding piston or a high silicon, tighter clearance piston?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston material (onetwothree)

it's a trade off. You can't go wrong with anyone of them. It's a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Tony1 runs Arias on the race car and never had any problems with it, many runs CP, Endyn and etc. Just follow the Mfg's specs on the clearances.

stan

Old 07-01-2003, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Piston material (Flamenco-T)

Lets say were talkin about a street car, hopefully 400whp. Wouldn't you want a stronger piston (JE) or........thanx for your reply
Old 07-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onetwothree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets say were talkin about a street car, hopefully 400whp. Wouldn't you want a stronger piston (JE) or........thanx for your reply</TD></TR></TABLE>

with today's tuning technology, it really would not make a difference. Although I like pistons with Beefier area aroudn the valve relief. Tony1 showed me this the other day and I can see why he mentioned that. Beefier are will reduce hot sharp spots around the top of the pistons.

I like not too much expansion for pistons, I.e. I like to run tighter clearance. I am sure there will not be or very little sacrifice by going with more silicone content and run tighter clearance than the opposite.

stan
Old 07-01-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Piston material (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Although I like pistons with Beefier area aroudn the valve relief. Tony1 showed me this the other day and I can see why he mentioned that. Beefier are will reduce hot sharp spots around the top of the pistons.

stan
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess you talking about Arias. I think that would be my choice. The are also lighter by 14 grams.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:34 AM

I would go with the arias pistons as well (between je and arias) They do a little better machining on the surface (sharp edges) and they also wont slap on startup.

With JE's if your clearances aren't dead on, you will get piston slap, and depending on the severity, it could destroy your motor in a short amount of time.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Piston material (lazerus)

Does anybody have any specs on cp pistons? Like how much the weight etc...