Notices

Piggyback System, Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piggyback System, Help please!

Because of my limited budget I was going to buy a Greddy E-Manage and Profec e-01 to use with my ECU for a slightly safer alternative to my TurboXS Piggyback. I would go for something better but I am not a rich guy. Does anybody in NJ know how to properly instal and tune this, or know of someplace I can go to get it tuned?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Piggyback System, Help please! (NJTurboCivic)

bump
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 AM

limited budget eh. Go uberdata and learn to tune yourself.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:56 AM

There is no doubt in my mind you should go with uberdata, I ran a Super AFC I for a year, you cannot tune timing independently of fuel, so you have to retard the timing, which is not good if you want to make the most power for your setup.

After tuning three times on the street, with just an uberdata, and a JS Safeguard classic, I went from being a little bit slower then a 12 second talon on the highway to putting 2 or 3 lengths on him from a 40-100 pull, and a 65-120 pull.

So bottom line, with a decent knowledge of things you can do more with uberdata, and its cheaper like 30 dollars for all thats needed to chip it, the program is "free" (donation), and a chip burner is like 100 or cheaper, which is well under 200, which is probably what you you would pay for a used SAFC I.

Jake D.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Piggyback System, Help please! (BlackKnight7)

How do I tune it, does it have a manual or something? These are things I tend to leave to professionals or people who have a greater knowlage then me because I try to play it safe. Where can I find these units and stuff?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:34 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Uberdata is a free program you can download. You must have a socketed ECU [either DIY or get someone to do it]. There is no manual...although there are many people here and on pgmfi that use it and can help you learn how to tune. You will also need access to a wideband and a chip burner.

I think that's it [correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use uberdata]...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:39 AM

go here http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/ and http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/list.php?f=40 to learn more.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJTurboCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do I tune it, does it have a manual or something? These are things I tend to leave to professionals or people who have a greater knowlage then me because I try to play it safe. Where can I find these units and stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like was stated earlier there is no manual except maybe some help at pgmfi.com. They have the information on chip the ecu, and and the program. Most of how to tune the car is just general knowledge of tuning. Do research on tuning or get a friend to teach you, like I did.

You would have to have no less knowledge if ran a super AFC I or II. I you are going to take it to a tuner they should have enough knowledge to tune with Uberdata. There is no question in my mind that it is a better way to go. If you like to play it safe get a JS Safeguard, they work wonders.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Piggyback System, Help please! (BlackKnight7)

What exactly is a JS Safeguard, I hear a lot about it, but I don't know about it. lol I only ask so I can know.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:06 PM

Basically its a system that retards timing based on the severity of knock it sees. For a certain amount of knock it will retard either 1 degree or 2 degrees, depending on which setting you have it on. There are ten led's so it can retard timing up to 10 or 20 degrees, there is a dip switch where you can choose between 1 degree or two degrees of retard per led.

There is also a setting where you can choose between individual choose between individual cylinder retard and all cylinders retarded the same amount. Individual retard will retard a cylinder for the amount of knock it decides that cylinder has. For instance if your 3rd cylinder had a certain amount of knock it might retard that cylinder 2 degrees, and the 4th was had more sever knock it would retard its say 3 degrees. This may not seem important, but I can tell you that it does make more power in the case that one cylinder is knocking more than the rest.

After the knock is retarded it does not just go back to regualar time, it has a trickle back. That is ever certain number of revolutions it puts it back 1 degree. Now if you have it on all cylinder retard and one cylinder is knocking more than others, its going to retard all the cylinders that amount then trickle them all back at the same time. As opposed to retarding that one cylinder a lot, and leaving the others to make more power.

Most importantly this protection allows you to tune a lot more aggressively all the time without having to worry about killing you engine because of too much knock.

I hope that helps. Also JS has a website but I can't remember it now.

Jake D.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:56 PM

The J&S website is:

http://www.jandssafeguard.com

The J&S is a great system. Blackknight7 covered it pretty well, but I thought I would add a few more things.

First of all, the way the J&S works is it senses knock and depending on some of the settings (sensitivity, range, etc) it will retard your ignition timing a certain amount of degrees.

As the knock goes away, your timing will slowly taper back to normal. This is done such that you do not get oscillations of knock and timing retard.

I'm the guy that tuned his car, so I can vouch for the quality of Uberdata vs. SAFC. Both were tuned mainly by me on the street with only the J&S (no wideband or dyno). The car is much faster than it was to begin with.

Of course, now that he walked the DSM, it's time for big changes.