Notices

Planning to turbo my GSR (eventually) have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to turbo my GSR (eventually) have some questions

I have searched as best I could to get answers for my questions.

I currently only have I/H/E, other than that I'm plain stock. 45k mi on the car, motor runs perfectly. It's a 1998 so it has OBDII.

I'm not going to upgrade my internals just yet, and I wanted something CARB legal with moderate boost capabilities so I'm probably going to go with the Greddy kit, or the Rev Hard if they get CARB exemption by the time I do this. Hoping to get somewhere around 220-240 to the wheels which I believe would be possible with 7-9psi, which I've read is safe on stock internals and CR in the GSR.

Questions:

1. Is the Greddy kit AC friendly? By that I mean do I have to remove the AC to fit the turbo manifold in there?

2. What do I need that is not included in this kit? BOV, what else?

3. I would like to tune this myself instead of paying an arm and a leg for Hondata so I was considering using uberdata. I have a laptop under my seat hooked up to a 7" in-dash touch screen as my stereo (plays mp3s, wireless ethernet card to connect to my comp at home) so I figured I could just get an ECU interface for it and could easily use it to tune. Will this work with my OBDII ecu? Do I have to get the conversion harness, or do any soldering, or buy a whole different ECU or anything?

4. How easy would it be to add an intercooler at a later date?

5. How much am I probably looking to pay to have someone install the kit? I would to it myself but I don't have the tools, or any suitable place to do it.

6. Are turbo cams worth the money? I rarely see anyone with a boost setup say they have aftermarket cams.

7. Will I need cam gears as well to tune better?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (eventually) have some questions (NS98GSR)

Answers: ( what I would do)

1. Yes, its AC friendly.
2. Fuel & detonation solution (if not getting a standalone), larger injectors, IC (highly recommended).

3. unless you know what you're doing, don't do anything yourself...get someone who knows to help out!

4. If your getting an intercooler, do it from the get go! adding it later is a waste of time and money!

5. A pro will charge anywhere from $500 to $1500 for installs.

6. tuning is the key

7. same as 6.

Now, I am gonna give the best advice that anyone could give you and you may not want to hear it. Or you may choose to simply ignore me but remember it.

If you are going to put a turbo on your car, prepare to spend money. ITS NOT CHREAP! I also think you should plan carefully. Know what your goals are from the beginning. Don't stray away from your plan because someone recommends something else to you.

Secondly, do it right from the get go. Cutting corners or costs will haunt you in the future! If you don't have the money to do it right now, then WAIT until you do!!! Get the right parts and be safe! Take it from someone who has experienced a blown engine from cutting corners the first time....ITS NOT WORTH DOING IT TWICE! Twice the time and money
Old 03-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NS98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have searched as best I could to get answers for my questions.

I currently only have I/H/E, other than that I'm plain stock. 45k mi on the car, motor runs perfectly. It's a 1998 so it has OBDII.

I'm not going to upgrade my internals just yet, and I wanted something CARB legal with moderate boost capabilities so I'm probably going to go with the Greddy kit, or the Rev Hard if they get CARB exemption by the time I do this. Hoping to get somewhere around 220-240 to the wheels which I believe would be possible with 7-9psi, which I've read is safe on stock internals and CR in the GSR.

Questions:

1. Is the Greddy kit AC friendly? By that I mean do I have to remove the AC to fit the turbo manifold in there?

2. What do I need that is not included in this kit? BOV, what else?

3. I would like to tune this myself instead of paying an arm and a leg for Hondata so I was considering using uberdata. I have a laptop under my seat hooked up to a 7" in-dash touch screen as my stereo (plays mp3s, wireless ethernet card to connect to my comp at home) so I figured I could just get an ECU interface for it and could easily use it to tune. Will this work with my OBDII ecu? Do I have to get the conversion harness, or do any soldering, or buy a whole different ECU or anything?

4. How easy would it be to add an intercooler at a later date?

5. How much am I probably looking to pay to have someone install the kit? I would to it myself but I don't have the tools, or any suitable place to do it.

6. Are turbo cams worth the money? I rarely see anyone with a boost setup say they have aftermarket cams.

7. Will I need cam gears as well to tune better?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

turn 6 and 7 into 4
Old 03-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Is the Greddy kit AC friendly? By that I mean do I have to remove the AC to fit the turbo manifold in there? Yes the Greddy Kit is AC friendly. Unless you plan to run a 3inch downpipe.

2. What do I need that is not included in this kit? BOV, what else? To get the kit up and running "RELIABLY" with what you already have with the kit, assuming you'll be running the Emanage that they provide for you, all you need is a BOV, intercooler, turbo timer, boost pressure guage, oil pressure guage, egt guage, intank 255lph fuel pump. And like Miraz mentioned earlier, if you want, you could upgrade to some larger injectors depending on how much power your looking to push. Some 440cc injectors should be plenty for what your looking for. The Greddy Emanage is a very good engine management unit that Greddy has recently started to include into their kits. Just find someone to tune it for you, because it is tuneable.

3. I would like to tune this myself instead of paying an arm and a leg for Hondata so I was considering using uberdata. I have a laptop under my seat hooked up to a 7" in-dash touch screen as my stereo (plays mp3s, wireless ethernet card to connect to my comp at home) so I figured I could just get an ECU interface for it and could easily use it to tune. Will this work with my OBDII ecu? Do I have to get the conversion harness, or do any soldering, or buy a whole different ECU or anything? You don't really have to convert to uberdata or hondata, the Emanage that comes with the kit will be just fine. If you really want to tune it yourself, you'll need to buy the Emanage software, upload it onto your lap top, plug it up to the emanage unit and start changing the maps, but don't touch anything if you don't know what your doing.

4. How easy would it be to add an intercooler at a later date? Its easy, just bolt up the intercooler to the chassis, and hook up your charge pipes to the intercooler. Its that easy, but you can just do it from the beginning and save yourself the time. But its a piece of cake.

5. How much am I probably looking to pay to have someone install the kit? I would to it myself but I don't have the tools, or any suitable place to do it. Like stated above anywhere from $500 to $1000, but somewhere in the 500 is the most reasonable.

6. Are turbo cams worth the money? I rarely see anyone with a boost setup say they have aftermarket cams. Your stock gsr cams will be fine for the amount of power your looking. Most bseries vtec guys actually swap out their cams for GSR cams if they don't already have them for their boosted motors.

7. Will I need cam gears as well to tune better? Yes cam gears can help you get the most out of your motor when it is being tuned, is it necessary? No its not, but its a cheap and worthy mod

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 2:22 PM 3/20/2004
Old 03-20-2004, 12:02 PM

if the greddy kit is $2500 online, then is an estimated price of $5000 including all other necessary parts and labor or $6000 with intercooler reasonable?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (NS98GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NS98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the greddy kit is $2500 online, then is an estimated price of $5000 including all other necessary parts and labor or $6000 with intercooler reasonable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you overshot it there a little......at most...you'd be spending around 3000-4000......

greddy turbo kit-2500
greddy type 31 intercooler kit-700
greddy oil pressure, egt guage, boost guage-400
greddy turbo timer-80
greddy BOV-180
255lph walbro fuel pump-105

Thats only totalling out to be 4000..but keep in mind..who says you have to invest in the greddy intercooler? You could just invest in a precision 350hp intercooler for 350..that'll save you a bundle. And who says you have to buy greddy guages..you can buy cheap autometer..although i wouldn't And also who's to say you have to buy all brand new..you could buy used parts. On a side note, nobody ever said boosting your car reliably was cheap

Khoi
Old 03-20-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (Sohc Driver)

yeah i'm not bent on greddy or anything. I don't even particularly like them. I would rather piece together a kit myself after doing some research, but I need something that's smog legal here in CA. bov/intercooler and guages I'll buy whatever looks like quality and is reasonably priced.

I'm not looking to skimp here, but I'm also not looking to waste my money on paying for the name. the kit will almost definitely have to be new since most used kits are either stolen, or the person doesn't have the smog papers for it any more.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you realize that greddy kits are smog legal...but once you put on that intercooler..does not pass anymore..even if it is a greddy intercooler. This is something I have heard..you may want to check on that.

Khoi
Old 03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to figure the cost of a clutch and LSD in also. With over 200whp launches you will eat the stock clutch in a short time. And you might as well throw in an LSD at the same time.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (jfoster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to figure the cost of a clutch and LSD in also. With over 200whp launches you will eat the stock clutch in a short time. And you might as well throw in an LSD at the same time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was planning on buying either an LSD or an ITR transmission. with ~240whp I probably won't need those shorter ratios though so perhaps just an LSD. For the purposes of this post I'm just talking about the turbo kit though.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:32 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NS98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was planning on buying either an LSD or an ITR transmission. with ~240whp I probably won't need those shorter ratios though so perhaps just an LSD. For the purposes of this post I'm just talking about the turbo kit though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have 330whp and a b-16 tranny ('bout the same gears as ITR) and i have no probs with it. i also have a Quaife LSD which DOES help a lot!!!
i believe the stock LSD is good for about 350whp... i THINK.

if you decide to piece together a kit.. you have your work cut out. it's not easy to decide what to do even if you KNOW what you are doing.

my first kit was a Revhard Stage 2C and i couldn't have been HAPPIER! (with 550cc injectors, boost controller, full 3" exhaust, and a couple other mods i may be forgetting.. it made 300whp @ 9psi with the SC34 it came with). i also had opted for their larger intercooler.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:52 PM

intercooler not smog legal... that's a bunch of crap. I hate CARB. Half of the rules don't even make any sense. A 2" collector on a header is fine, but 2.5" is suddenly bad for the environment? How can an EVO have a FMIC but I can't put one on my car? I guess I should just talk to greddy about it.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you just get it inspected at a shop to pass smog? Or do you have to take the the Highway Dept. or something? If its just a certified shop like a state inspection I would think you could find a shop that is "cool" about it. I would just ask the next really modded car driver you talk to where they get their car inspected, and if they were ok with modified cars.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (jfoster)

I dont know how bad you want emanage, But il help ya out alittle here with a place that i dont think alot of people order from. You can pick up a greddy kit for the gsr for $2144.00 and intercooler kit for $530.00, both greddy. The only thing is, it will be 50/50 on whether or not you will get emanage. You might get stuck with the blue box. The website is http://www.city-speed.com they offer these kits cheaper than anyone on the market. Ive searched for hours one day and came across them on ebay. Well hope this was helpful. Also go with a intercooler, its a must. I would leave tuning to a pro. Lastly, unless you leave in CA, when turboing a car, because the turbo feeds on exhaust, it limits the amount of crap it puts into the air. People have passed emissions with turbo kits before, and sometimes without a cat on. (Not sure about CA)
Old 03-20-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (CivicGSR225)

oh I know. a friend recently bought a used (probably stolen) GSR greddy kit for his LS and printed off and edited the CARB exemption papers. I read through them because I was curious and a GS-R with a Greddy kit actually puts out less harmful substances. Quite a lot less actually. FMIC is no biggie to remove for smog, and I'll try to keep it fairly discrete so police won't hassle me. If they do let's hope I get a stupid one and I'll just tell him its an aftermarket radiator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you just get it inspected at a shop to pass smog? Or do you have to take the the Highway Dept. or something? If its just a certified shop like a state inspection I would think you could find a shop that is "cool" about it. I would just ask the next really modded car driver you talk to where they get their car inspected, and if they were ok with modified cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure in CA you have to go to a certified smog center. That's where I went last time. All they do is smog checks. CA also has the strictest emissions laws in the country because of the number of cars in such a small area here in socal.

Oh and I almost never see "really modded" cars around here. Just a bunch of faggy ricers.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:24 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

just paint your FMIC like i did:

Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (kaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just paint your FMIC like i did:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ooh good idea.

oh another question. do you have to have a ridiculously loud blowoff valve or can you get some that are more quiet? I don't really care to say "HEY EVERYONE I HAVE A TURBO" constantly wherever I go.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 AM

closed loop would be your answer for a quite BOV.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NS98GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have to have a ridiculously loud blowoff valve or can you get some that are more quiet? I don't really care to say "HEY EVERYONE I HAVE A TURBO" constantly wherever I go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. I've heard good things about the TiAL blow off valve. I heard it sounds nice, but isn't a screamer. Plus, it's only like the best blow off valve on the market.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (DaX)

you can have a complete setup minus tuning for between 1500 - 2500. greddy kits are entry level and they are easy to find just search in the fi classfieds something always pops up...

good luck
Old 03-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Planning to turbo my GSR (BoostedsiR)

I need a new one though :/ like I said I need some legit carb certification papers. I don't wanna be sweating if i get rolled.