Notices

Pass emitions with a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pass emitions with a turbo?

I am from just outside of philadelphia PA and was wondering how hard it would be to pass emitions with a turbo on my car. My setup will be as follows:

96 Civic EX
B18C5 (stock internals)
Drag Gen 3
S-AFC
Greddy Profec B
RC 550 injectors
AEM fuel rail/reg
Greddy Evolution Exhaust
(still have a Cat)
other Misc. goodies that probably wont make a diff

I am guessing it will require some temporary de-tuning to get it to pass. If you guys have any hints or tricks to get it to pass that would be great.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:02 AM

Default Pass emitions with a turbo? (revhigh96)

ttt
Old 02-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (revhigh96)

I am from just outside of philadelphia PA and was wondering how hard it would be to pass emitions with a turbo on my car. My setup will be as follows:

96 Civic EX
B18C5 (stock internals)
Drag Gen 3
S-AFC
Greddy Profec B
RC 550 injectors
AEM fuel rail/reg
Greddy Evolution Exhaust
(still have a Cat)

I am guessing it will require some temporary de-tuning to get it to pass. If you guys have any hints or tricks to get it to pass that would be great.
I would also like to know as my emmisions are coming soon. Where do you live? I can tell you a few things that may help

1. if you have adjustable ride height, SLAM IT (that way you can say its too low and that you wont let them put it on their dyno. that way they can only give you a sniffer test)
2. Hope to god you have the stiffest clutch on earth (this happened to my brother, his clutch was so stiff that the guy stalled it out many times, he got so mad he just told him to leave, and he got a pass)
3. Turn the boost on your profecb all the way to min, just incase they get on it
4. go get some of that fuel add on from NAPA thats guarantees you pass emmisions...( might not work as well on turbo cars)
5. DO NOT let them know you have an external wastegate feeding the atmosphere.
6. hope someone who doesnt care is working
7. dont try this at home kids; you could offer them a few bucks to pass you...
those are my ideas
hope they help
Old 02-25-2003, 09:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (Civic420)

What's emissions?
I never heard of those in Michigan before.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should be fine my civic with d16z6 greddy turbo passed fine with a highflow cat

Old 02-25-2003, 11:09 AM

Here is the trick to OBD2 cars... when you get your emmisions done they plug it into your obd port. Change your car to OBD1 Ecu with conversion harness and you will have no worries... the Emmsions computer cant read your obd1 ECU and they put you on through. it works for me... also have your car very low, or just argue that its too low to go on the treadmill... and the ol' ill meet ya around the corner with $100 noramlly works too... good luck... i have a 3in. exhuast with no cat just 2.5 DP too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baltimore, MD
00 Si w B18B turbo OBD1 ecu

[Modified by nonvtec allmotr, 8:09 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (nonvtec allmotr)

I've heard about some guys unplugging an injector in states where there is no underhood check...
Old 02-25-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (AztecEJ)

put your stock injectors in and disconnect an intercooler pipe so the engine sees no boost. put your stock fuel rail back in and fuel pressure reg. set your afc to 0 for low throttle setting. set your timing back to stock. this should work granted your O2 is still OK. good luck
Old 02-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (Snafu-Si)

What's emissions?
I never heard of those in Michigan before.
no ****
us michiganders got it made...except for snow and 4 months downtime out of the year...
Old 02-25-2003, 12:47 PM

If you guys have any hints or tricks to get it to pass that would be great.

I know I've said this before but....

hasn't anyone on here ever heard the phrase "$20 Handshake."?
it's really not hard to spot the places that will let you fly.

Na mean.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:56 PM

96 Civic EX
B18C5 (stock internals)
Drag Gen 3
S-AFC
Greddy Profec B
RC 550 injectors
AEM fuel rail/reg
Greddy Evolution Exhaust
(still have a Cat)

I would also like to know as my emmisions are coming soon. Where do you live? I can tell you a few things that may help

1. if you have adjustable ride height, SLAM IT (that way you can say its too low and that you wont let them put it on their dyno. that way they can only give you a sniffer test)
2. Hope to god you have the stiffest clutch on earth (this happened to my brother, his clutch was so stiff that the guy stalled it out many times, he got so mad he just told him to leave, and he got a pass)
3. Turn the boost on your profecb all the way to min, just incase they get on it
4. go get some of that fuel add on from NAPA thats guarantees you pass emmisions...( might not work as well on turbo cars)
those are my ideas
hope they help
Not sure about you guys about you guys but out here that won't fly.
Slam your car to low......they will tell you to raise it back up or you fail.....(minor techinicality is that by law you can only go so low....go beyond that not only will you not get your new tabs you can also get a nice fine for being to low.....so that idea won't work.
2nd.....same thing with the clutch...if that happend to your bro he must have had an idiot trying to drive.....plus out here your the driver .... won't work either

fortunatly i don't have to worry about that.....my car is registered in the next town which has no emission testing
Old 02-25-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (T-sohctec)

call doug at hondata and get it. I have stage 4, 18 psi and passed emmissions with a jdm b16a motor.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:46 PM

I'll find out tomorrow! I take it in at 9:30 for inspection and emissions.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:23 PM
something different

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (JustAnotherHonda)

the clutch thing kinda worked for me. i have a clutchmasters on my 90 hatch with my zc, with the cable clutch, even the stage 2 is pretty stiff, the dude killed it twice pulling onto the dyno, then he couldnt get goin on the dyno, couldnt shift, and basically couldnt do the test. he was getting mocked by the other dudes at the place so he just did some basic test or something. i think i would have passed, i got a huge cat on her though......
Old 02-25-2003, 06:40 PM

96 Civic EX
B18C5 (stock internals)
Drag Gen 3
S-AFC
Greddy Profec B
RC 550 injectors
AEM fuel rail/reg
Greddy Evolution Exhaust
(still have a Cat)

those are my ideas

hope they help
It's funny when I read what he got to say. I'm a state inspector myself, working for place place lexus of plano. I don't know who did your inspection but when the ride is slam to the ground. And we can't put your car on the dyno that is an automatic rejection. We will fail you for the safety part.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (Ltech)

In Texas if you're OBD1 they hook up the tailpipe sniffer and see what your exhaust is dispensing... If you're OBD2 they just hook up your OBD port and if your car isn't throwing any codes and has run every test that the ecu runs when you start the car, you pass... However, I'm pretty sure that an open wastegate dumping into atmosphere would not pass the visual inspection part... But if you have a dumptube, and run the dumptube into the downpipe I would think they'd pass you... I dunno I'm gonna have to find out in a couple of months... ...
Old 02-25-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Pass emitions with a turbo? (Ltech)

that sucks for you people. no such things as that in tennessee yet. stress on the yet!