Notices

Oxygen Sensor Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Simulator

I need a 02 simulator. I am getting a code for Cat Efficiency Below Threshold.. I have a 99 Accord LX 2.3 turbo running a Magnaflow high flow cat. Which unit should I go with? I really just need to pass emissions but should I keep it in there permanently?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (Excelerate)

https://www.casperselectronics.com
Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Excelerate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need a 02 simulator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you don't. you already wasted money on that cat, why throw good money after bad?

Reset ECU, and leave the rear O2 sensor dangling in free air. It's just a stupid pass/fail sensor: as long as it reads leaner than the primary the ECU is happy. Dangling in free air all it reads is pure lean and the ECU is as happy as a pig in **** with a trough full of fresh slop.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elevatedj32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://www.casperselectronics.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what to tell you, when you're giving advice about systems you don't know anything about? Uhm, die?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (Joseph Davis)

So you're saying for emissions I should just leave it hanging. What about the mechanical simulators that push the rear oxygen sensor out a little further so it doesn't read as much exhaust. It's kinda like a spacer. Should I just run that so the 02 sensor doesn't have to dangle?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure, spend money when nothing works better that the free solution.

Why are you even asking for advice?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure, spend money when nothing works better that the free solution.

Why are you even asking for advice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Listen I understand your point but if I want to permanentaly remove that CEL without have the oxygen sensor dangling and risk it getting damaged I think it would be better to just get the mechanical 02 simulator. I appreciate your advice b/c now I will avoid th electrical simulator, but I wanted to be certain that it was ok to run the 02 simulator without effecting anything else other than that CEL.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It just comes down to voltages. Also, it takes a lot to really damage an o2 sensor, short of it smaking the ground. Ziptie/wiretie it up to the body/pipe, and your fine.

The only prob u could have with the simulator is improper load for the heater (I doubt it was designed wroge though), assuming the rear even has a heater for the o2.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not sure what to tell you, when you're giving advice about systems you don't know anything about? Uhm, die? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can see your reading comprehension is below average, read what i posted, I didn't give advice, I just pointed him in a direction of where o2 sims can be bought. Uhm, how bout you die?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (elevatedj32)

ive made 2 rear O2 simulators already for about 2$ each.. they work great . if u need the directions let me know ill find them ...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (elevatedj32)

Pointing him in the direction of O2 sims is not doing anyone a favor. your point is not well taken, because it's not what it means. Go gargle goat *****, n00b.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ziptie/wiretie</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can tell who's actually built a fast car before... zipties are manditory in any serious build.

I am confident I can build a 10 second DOT tire car out of fluxcore, zip ties, and compressed mule ****. Unfortunately, the budget does not allow for enough zip ties as I'd like, so we'll have to see.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you clear it and let it dangle u will clear the p0420 but you will get a Psomething or other for not seeing proper voltage with a CEL u will not pass inspection
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jut use two spark plug antifoulers to space it uot so it sees exhaust gases still but not the full bore.. It has never failed. no CEl etc. like 10 bucks.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jut use two spark plug antifoulers to space it uot so it sees exhaust gases still but not the full bore.. It has never failed. no CEl etc. like 10 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

FOR THE WIN!!!
Ya ok leaving the o2 sensor hanging there might work but is sloppy as ***, i dont know what kind of work u do but i dont do sloppy work and leave **** hanging around.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (mrbigg9032)

For anyone who wants to know the part # from Autozone is 42009. It's a 18MM spark plug defouler w/ gasket (you get two). Drill one out w/ a 1/2" drill bit and then double stack them and thread the 02 sensor inside and voila your 02 sensor is further away from the exhaust stream and you should have no CEL.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 AM

I've been getting a P420 code. The last time I got it (75,000 miles ago), Honda replaced my cat and the CEL has been off ever since. Now it's on again and getting the same code. So, I'm looking at aftermarket high-flow cats and the ones that I see range from $90-$140 (eastern, magnaflow). The OEM replacements (rockauto.com) range from $148-$360!
Why are you saying that high flow cats are a "waste of money" ? Or are you saying that replacing the cat at all is a waste of money ?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Simulator (scarecrow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scarecrow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you saying that high flow cats are a "waste of money" ? Or are you saying that replacing the cat at all is a waste of money ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The HF cat topic was covered pretty well in the Integra forum about 2-3 weeks ago. Yea the o2 sensor dangling in the air may seem sloppy, but I would just leave it there until passes inspection, then plug it back in. I did that on a friend's Maxima last week and just screwed a dead 02sensor into the hole temporarily so exhaust wasn't coming out. The ziptie sensor isn't permanent or anything.

So, I would say that replacing the cat is a waste of money. But it kinda depends on the kind of person you are. I've got a 99, salvage title integra ls. Bought for about $6k, maybe worth 3.5 now. I'm not gonna go sink money into making sure that every little piece on the car is working properly, especially when it starts getting into me spending $100+ to fix it, if I can rig it temporarily for free.

However, I know people who wouldn't THINK of doing something like that to their car, and will spend 100's fixing things that don't really matter too much. Sometimes comes down to buying performance parts vs fixing junk. I just tell them, "do you want to have a fast car? or do you want to be able to tell everyone your check engine light isn't on?"

Do whatever you want. Plenty of info on this thread to help you out.