Notices

Overheating problems...Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problems...Please Help

Hey Guys,
Well a while ago my car overheated. I found that my rad cap was busted. So I swapped it, and flushed my fluid. and ran it it ran fine..no leakes or oil problems(color). So I decided to drive it a bit, well it overheted again..this time in a much shorter amount of time.
Well After letting it cool down, I looked at stuffa gain. I found this weird grey chaulky substance in my overflow line. It was also on my rad cap. Is this the reminance of burned fluid? My rad reservoir is where all my fluid leaks from. (out the top) Even though it is tight.
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the overheating?..it ran fine for 3 weeks, and now it overheats everytime I drive it.(only driven it twice)
Thanks,
Josh
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291427865 < You can see pics of a couple pieces here.

[Modified by skrewdlude, 1:53 AM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-29-2002, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (skrewdlude)

Air trapped in your system or water pump busted?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (hatchy)

Hey,
Oh yeah...I opened the air bleed hole while filling it, until water came out. I then drove the car, and opened it again to see if there was anymore air. SO I think it is all drained out. The water pump was just replaced about 3 months ago.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any thoughts? Or anything to try? This is really making me mad it hasn't been up for about 4 weeks.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-29-2002, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be your headgasket. You may have messed it up when you over heated the first time.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (HondaCutter)

If you overheat once...the thermostat will usually not work right and get sticky. Remember when I asked you? Don't forget to check it...pull it out and do the test procedure. Hope that helps. Thought it would be worse, but glad it runs...that's half the troubleshooting problem...if it runs..you can at least troubleshoot.
later Josh,
patrick
Old 08-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (pIOUs)

I say the thermostat also, does it overheat at idle or just under load? If only overheats under load it's the head gasket

[Modified by fast[R], 4:13 AM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (fast[R])

Yeah it overheats under load. I know the thermostat is bad so I ordered a new one...but the fact is it still overheated the first time...which mean it is not JUST the thermostat.
Also if it was the head gasket...wouldn't I have white smoke out my exhust..or oil in my rad fluid...or rad fluid in my oil? (I don't have nay of these symptoms...are there anyothers I might have over looked, besides a compression test?)

all my fluids are perfectly clean. Nothing where it shouldn't be, and my oil is staying in the oil system(not burning) Besides the thermostat something is also causing trouble..
Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-30-2002, 12:04 PM

Check you fans and fan relays. If you are in a hot area and fans are working you will definatly overheat.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

instead of having toorder a thermostat, and wait till it gets there, just take that one out, and see if it over heats without a thermostat. if it does, then it's not your old one. if it doesn't, then wait for your new one...also, a compression/leak down should show ablown head gasket..
Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (BoostedD15B7)

Hey,
The fans are working, and I have them set to be on all the time. Also the car ran fine for 3 weeks, and then started acting up..then finally overheated. I was keeping it out of boost most of the time and the day it overheated...IU was in boost maybe once...
Thanks guys...I am gonna go try what graphite said. Any other Ideas?
Josh
Old 08-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's a head gakset...been there many many times with the same symptoms
Old 08-30-2002, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (paul_vang)

Hey,
What symptoms? I only have over heating..while I know that a blown head gasket can cause over heating..it is also my understanding that you will have other problems too. Like a loss of power, oil that looks like chocolate milk, white smoke out the exhuast, and oil in ur radiator...but I don't have any of this. I am not losing oil or coolent, my coolent is coming out of my reservoir tank.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-30-2002, 09:41 PM

replace the thermostat and bleed the cooling system. you could perform a block test to see if the head gasket went but it doesnt sound like it did. how does it run? if it runs good then you simply have air in the coolant and possibly a stuck thermostat.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (black92si)

Hey,
I runs fine. I understand that my thermostat is probably stuck since I overheated, but I am still trying to see why my car overheated in the first place. It ran fine for 3 weeks, now it overheats. I am 99% sure it is NOT my head gasket. I could be wrong tho. I will comp test it as soon as I can find a comp tester. I cleared all the air out of my coolent system, and it overheated again..but that waas with the same thermostat. I am gonna try taking out my thermostat tomorrow and seeing what happens.
Any other ideas?
Thanks guys!
Josh
Old 08-31-2002, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this problem with coolant coming out of the reservoir tank also, it turned out to be a bad headgasket as well as warpage near one of the waterjackets on the block's deck. and i did do a compression test on the motor, and it read PERFECT all across 4 cylinders, thats why i dont trust those tests. always start with the most simple thing first, rad cap, thermostat, hoses, radiator, radiator fans, then once youve diagnosed all of the easy symptoms then it is time to go for the internals. its wise to have a machine shop check the deck of the block and head due to possible warpage that could have happened when you kept overheating. that chaulky grey stuff in your radiator sounds like oil and radiator fluid mixing, does your radiator fluid smell funny? gassy oily? take my advice on this, ive been there before.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 9:52 AM 8/31/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems...Please Help (GudeH23a)

hey,
Thanks a lot gude if I go get a compression tester from pep boys..that will tell me if I have a blown head gasket won't it?
Thanks,
Josh