Notices

overboosting with tial 44mm wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overboosting with tial 44mm wastegate

Just wondering if anyone encountered the same problem:

I have a Neukkin A/C ramhorn (one of the earlier ones he made). Bought it a very long time ago but never got a chance to put it together till now since I was in med school. To make a long story short, I finally found time to put together my set up and its running great except I'm overboosting like crazy.

Here is the situation:

If I put any single spring into the 44mm Tial wastegate, it runs perfect....with my greddy profec B (1st gen) controller I can control the boost fine and I will not get boost creep.

For example: If I use the small green spring by itself rated for 5.8 psi my boost gauge reads 6-7 psi and with the boost controller maxed out on high it will read 18 psi. If I use the big blue spring by itself rated for 13 psi, my boost gauge reads 13 psi and with the boost controller maxed out on high it will read 24psi

HOWEVER:

If I try to combine the springs to get higher boost settings (per Tial's page springs are additive) no matter what combination I use the boost will build up to over 30 psi (at that point I'm letting off the gas but it seems that if I keep at it the boost will continue to build)

For example: I've tried the large yellow and small yellow springs together (11 psi) and it will go to 30 psi. I've tried the large blue and small yellow together (16 psi) and it will go to 30 psi. I've tried the large blue and small blue springs together (20 psi) and it will go to 30 psi.

I have use my air compressor to test it and the wastegate opens with that (125psi going through there with the air sprayer) but for some reason when I install it back on my manifold I overboost. When I change it back to a single spring setup I have absolutely no problems with boost control and can pretty much set it at any level using my boost controller. They only problems is that the highest single spring setting is 13 psi which I max out at 24 psi with the boost controller and I want to be able to boost about 28psi.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overboosting with tial 44mm wastegate

bump same thing happing to me.. i need help too
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Did you adjust the boost settings of the profec B each time that you changed spring sets? Even though your duty cycle % stays the same, its based upon the spring thats in the wastegate at the time. So either use the boost controller or the spring change over, but don't do both. set one set of springs in that you think you want to base it off of to start, then use the boost controller at that point.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see what you are saying about setting the springs then using the boost controller, that is exactly what I'm trying to do but the problem is that I've left the the boost controller OFF to make the boost run just off the springs in the wastegate as a test to see what happens >> if I am running DUAL springs the car will overboost. It does not happen if I run just a SINGLE spring in the wastegate.

I can see that the springs are not binding, which is what I was thinking at first but that is not the case since I'm using both Tial springs and they're fitting together well. That's why I'm puzzled....

As I mentioned in my original post: As long as I only use one spring, the boost is controlled easily with boost controller and if boost controller is off the gauge reads what the spring rating is.

BUT if I try to use dual springs, no matter if the boost controller is on or off the car will overboost.

Last edited by areyouasian; 11-18-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man mines over boosting with just one spring with the boost controller off n on
and same thing with an different boostcontroller
lmk asap if you find the problem thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Start by trouble shooting and eliminating problems. I would completely disconnect the boost controller, and just run the WG springs, and 1 vacumm line to the wastegate. See how that works. If it holds boost ok with 1 spring, it should be fine with 2, so make sure it is first before dealing with the boost controller, once you get it holding what base pressure you want, then work the boost controller back in.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure i can help your situation but shouldnt the boost controller be able to acheive more than 24psi if your base is the blue 13psi spring? i always thought you should be able to double or triple the spring pressure. what is your target pressure btw?

very strange issue none the less
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM

Also make sure that the boost controller on the Profect B is setup correctly. there is another thread in which a person is going through the same overboosting issue as you are, and found that he had his lines hooked up backwards. I would FIRST use the springs that you want to use, whether it is the dual or single. SECOND, make sure that boost controller is hooked up correctly. that may mean removing and re-inserting the lines. THIRD, keep the controller off, and see if the correct amount of boost is coming in. if not, the springs you may be using may not be the ones you think they are. FINALLY, if the right boost pressure comes in based on the spring rate, THEN turn on the boost controller, setting everything to zero. Read the instructions on how to set boost and the details (like making sure "set boost", and "Gain" are not too close to being the same number.. that will cause a spike).

those are some of the steps to trouble shoot.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on black box did you hook up the wastegate line to OUT? n the other to IN?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by _kiid
on black box did you hook up the wastegate line to OUT? n the other to IN?
You must mean COM & NC ports for the boost solenoid. ("black box")
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You must mean COM & NC ports for the boost solenoid. ("black box")
yeah i think lol
mine says in and out

i hooked mine like this one
external install
http://www.fd3s.net/profec_install.html
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by inspector01
Start by trouble shooting and eliminating problems. I would completely disconnect the boost controller, and just run the WG springs, and 1 vacumm line to the wastegate. See how that works. If it holds boost ok with 1 spring, it should be fine with 2, so make sure it is first before dealing with the boost controller, once you get it holding what base pressure you want, then work the boost controller back in.
Also make sure that the boost controller on the Profect B is setup correctly. there is another thread in which a person is going through the same overboosting issue as you are, and found that he had his lines hooked up backwards. I would FIRST use the springs that you want to use, whether it is the dual or single. SECOND, make sure that boost controller is hooked up correctly. that may mean removing and re-inserting the lines. THIRD, keep the controller off, and see if the correct amount of boost is coming in. if not, the springs you may be using may not be the ones you think they are. FINALLY, if the right boost pressure comes in based on the spring rate, THEN turn on the boost controller, setting everything to zero. Read the instructions on how to set boost and the details (like making sure "set boost", and "Gain" are not too close to being the same number.. that will cause a spike).

those are some of the steps to trouble shoot.
Trust me guys, before I created this posted I have troubleshooted the hell out of this thing. I have done everything yall have suggested as above but it just doesn't make sense at all.

Like I said before NO MATTER how I have it hooked up....with or without boost controller.....as long as I only use 1 spring the boost gauge will read exactly what I have in the wastegate, but if I try dual springs to increase the boost, it spikes like crazy (even when I dont have the boost controller connected and am only running straight off the wastegate).

Here's what I have done:

Ran off wastegate only with 1 spring: I have changed from small yellow to small red to small green to small blue then to large yellow to large blue >> 1 spring = gauge reading what the spring is rated for

After that, I disconnect everything and hook it up with the boost controller and did the same thing >> gauge read spring rate as psi with controller off and then with controller on, boost is controlled easily and they all max out about 11-12 psi over spring rate so I know all connections are correct.

I then take out the wastegate and hook it back up by itself with dual springs and it overboosts no matter what combination I try to use. It makes no difference if I have the boost controller hooked up or not.

Thanks to everyone for all the inputs so far, please keep the ideas coming. This issue is puzzling as it seems that everything works fine IF I only use one spring but that limits me to just 24 psi using the profec B at maxed out in the high boost setting and I just want to get a couple more psi out of it but tial doesn't make a single spring rated high enough to where I can max out my boost controller and achieve the boost I want. Right now buying a new boost controller or wastegate is not an option and I want to try to work with the equipment I already have since cash is short currently with me being in residency and having a ton of school debt to repay.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Looks like you've narrowed it down to that BIG spring being the issue. Are you sure you know what it is? (not just a color, but look at the TiAL chart). Perhaps you CAN'T put the 2 in together.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you've narrowed it down to that BIG spring being the issue. Are you sure you know what it is? (not just a color, but look at the TiAL chart). Perhaps you CAN'T put the 2 in together.
Acutally I've tried all the color combinations of springs I have, which includes the ones recommended on the Tial page for the springs.

Looks like I'm just going to have to settle on 24psi for now and save up for another boost controller.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!!!!!