Notices

Opinions On Turbo Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions On Turbo Choice?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for opinions in a choice I have on a turbo for my GSR. The car will be internally stock with the aid of ARP head studs. I'm not looking to push this block to its limits as I drive it on a daily basis, my over all goal right now would be 260-280whp.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to pick up either a Precision 5431 .48 with 300 miles logged or a Turbonetics 60-1 .68 with 1,000 logged both from my best friend at a killer price.

Who has run either or these turbos that could chime in on the pro's and con's of either?

-Kyle
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Opinions On Turbo Choice?

The precision would be a better choice except for the AR. If you can afford a new exhaust housing with a 0.63 AR then that would be your best choice. The 60-1 will be a little laggy. Also, it is more suited for 350+ whp.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with stock internals dont think your engine will last that long
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodre
It will be fine at that low hp level as long as it has a tune.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you are so wrong that words can't even express it. people have made over 500hp on stock internals...

anyways the .68ar on the 60-1 tells me that it has a t4 flanged turbine housing. way too big for your motor and goals. tell your friend to put that turbo on eBay and let the idiots over bid it lol

the precision unit is more appropriately sized but the .48 turbine housing will cause top end power to drop off.

personally I would try to find a similar sized unit from a company like Garrett... precisions customer service leaves a lot to be desired and when a unit fails, precisions warranty/tech department will always come back with some be answer so they.don't have to rebuild/replace the unit on their dime
Old 12-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those 2 were your only options go with the precision

If money was no object I would go with a garret gtx2867r for your goals
Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T3/T04e 50 trim? The 60-1 is WAY overkill and wouldnt even make full boost before VTEC....certainly not ideal for your goals. If you're looking for under 300whp, you can afford to go small and push the turbo a little harder...ditch this notion of staying on low boost and find something small and snappy. Another budget friendly option is a T3 Super 60...it'll make the power you need and are only about $600 brand new.

If money was no object, I would have to agree with Riceball777...a little GTX28r would be a blast. There are also the new line of EFR Borg Warner turbos that would fit the bill, but again are in the $1500+ range.

This: http://www.full-race.com/store/efr-t...8-turbo-2.html
My next turbo will be the EFR6758...the one above is slightly smaller
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

We tested that EFR. Wasn't worth it.. contact me before making a final decision on that, and avoid a costly mistake.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Man U FTW

Its off topic, but whats wrong with the EFR series? I've heard nothing but good things about them in the Subaru forums. They seem to make excellent power and still retain near-stock response. The added benefit of the EFR is that the internal wastegate actually functions meaning i dont have to run a gated up-pipe and wastgate ($500 savings) plus i can sell my Tial Q bov since i wont be needing it (+$200). Those savings suddenly make the turbo much more affordable.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I was debating about the 6758(.85 t25 turbine) as well. I mapped the compressor and turbine maps and this turbo would be perfect for my lsvtec.

I was also looking at their new for 2014 7163 again in a t25 turbine side. it flows 60lb/min and the turbine looks fairly efficient. it be a tad laggier than I want but it would make power. I haven't plotted turbine or compressor maps yet.

on the bright side if I changed turbos I could put it on my built SR20 or buy another and put the pair on my built vg30dett lol
Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Schister66
Its off topic, but whats wrong with the EFR series? I've heard nothing but good things about them in the Subaru forums. They seem to make excellent power and still retain near-stock response. The added benefit of the EFR is that the internal wastegate actually functions meaning i dont have to run a gated up-pipe and wastgate ($500 savings) plus i can sell my Tial Q bov since i wont be needing it (+$200). Those savings suddenly make the turbo much more affordable.
Umm. the turbo itself is fine, except it is not nearly as near stock as you remotely think.In addition the BOV does NOT work well (please keep your TiAL) and the internal gate only works well at over 21psi boost pressure levels. They are no longer using investment cast for their housings as they used to (which for some was the reason for the higher price), so if that was a factor in your purchase decision, get that out of your mind now.. .

As for the Subaru forums giving any true turbo knowledge, Heh.. well, let's just say I've had little faith in their abilities to appropriate the better matches for a bit over 6 years, especially NASIOC (aka "NAUSIAC" ).
Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea the stock comp housing recirc valve needs some help. especially since it isn't pressure neutral.

Full-Race figured this out and started including a stiffer spring, thicker/tougher diaphragm and a billet cover plate to replace the BW FRP/nylon cover.

it didn't handle high boost pressure/f that well until FR played with it (you'd think suction from the inlet would aid pressure reduction but I think in some cases it was causing the bov to chatter and/or surge

the most important thing with the IWG is to make sure you aren't choking flow to the gate ( Borg Warners MatchBot can aid you with that)

I've been looking at the 7163 and it looks promising. Perrin did a lot of dyno testing against a 6758 and a 7064(?) I think that's right.. as well as a gtx30r and a gtx3582r

on an 08 sti as the test mule, the 7163 made full boost ( 1.7BAR) by 3300rpm, quicker than every turbo they compared it against. It's only 200rpm laggier than the OEM IHI unit. of course turbine housing configuration and A/R have a big effect in that department but it looks like a very promising platform that builds boost quickly, won't taper off up top, and still has 60lb/min flow
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@ wantboost : i dont know on which planet you live thinking 500hp on stock internal will be reliable.

Running 7-10 psi with small turbo doing 250 hp on stock internal this can be reliable....
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 AM

@ wantboost : i dont know on which planet you live thinking 500hp on stock internal will be reliable.

Running 7-10 psi with small turbo doing 250 hp on stock internal this can be reliable....
Reliability is relative here. PSI doesn't kill engines. if the engine isn't well-maintained and prepared, 250 can kill an engine just as much as 500 can.

C'mon guys, this is elementary.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost
yea the stock comp housing recirc valve needs some help. especially since it isn't pressure neutral.

Full-Race figured this out and started including a stiffer spring, thicker/tougher diaphragm and a billet cover plate to replace the BW FRP/nylon cover.

it didn't handle high boost pressure/f that well until FR played with it (you'd think suction from the inlet would aid pressure reduction but I think in some cases it was causing the bov to chatter and/or surge

the most important thing with the IWG is to make sure you aren't choking flow to the gate ( Borg Warners MatchBot can aid you with that)

I've been looking at the 7163 and it looks promising. Perrin did a lot of dyno testing against a 6758 and a 7064(?) I think that's right.. as well as a gtx30r and a gtx3582r

on an 08 sti as the test mule, the 7163 made full boost ( 1.7BAR) by 3300rpm, quicker than every turbo they compared it against. It's only 200rpm laggier than the OEM IHI unit. of course turbine housing configuration and A/R have a big effect in that department but it looks like a very promising platform that builds boost quickly, won't taper off up top, and still has 60lb/min flow
Check that flow rate number. Not sure if that's quite accurate. The 7064 is smaller than the GTX3071R and GTX3076R by a LONG shot, so the test couldn't really meet the standards they wanted.
But this is all Subaru talk..
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MyEgHatch
Hey guys,

I'm looking for opinions in a choice I have on a turbo for my GSR. The car will be internally stock with the aid of ARP head studs. I'm not looking to push this block to its limits as I drive it on a daily basis, my over all goal right now would be 260-280whp.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to pick up either a Precision 5431 .48 with 300 miles logged or a Turbonetics 60-1 .68 with 1,000 logged both from my best friend at a killer price.

Who has run either or these turbos that could chime in on the pro's and con's of either?

-Kyle
But back to topic here. Someone pointed out that the 5431 would work for this power level sans the .48A/R turbine housing (based upon the turbine wheel they are using). which is not a bad, (other than the fact that its a entry-level Precision). But the other choices are ridiculous to utilize as options, "Killer price" or not.

Stick with something about 48lbs/min - 51lbs/min is all that's needed. Please use a .63A/R with the Stage III exhaust wheel
Old 12-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Man U FTW

This is my last thread-jack, i promise. For those of us who tried to have a side conversation in this thread, I started a new thread so that this discussion doesn't fade away before it gets interesting.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/borg-warner-efr-series-worth-hype-lets-have-discussion-3185698/
Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I never said that. just because I state a compressors maximum flow doesn't mean you have to run that much power
read