Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on my Spark Plugs *big pic*

B16 running 14 psi, gapped at .26.

Good, bad?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions on my Spark Plugs *big pic* (SpeedingHatch)

looks good too me ..my plugs look exactly like that except there gapped at .28 and less oil residue...

those plugs look good in my opinion
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They look a little wet....

Post up some pics of the porcelain
Old 04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions on my Spark Plugs *big pic* (InDub)

yeah you see how the porcelain is solid all sooty shouldnt be should be clean white either too rich which is most likely or too cold of a plug not allowing it to properly clean itself

Show more pics above the plug showing the base ring and porcelain
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedingHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

B16 running 14 psi, gapped at .26.

Good, bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats that stuff on your finger in pic 4?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need to see the burn ring, show some pics from the top, also was this after a WOT pull or from idle?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

look aright, def need to see down into the porcelin as this is the first area which detonation occurs and also in order to correctly read plugs, u must do a WOT run and shut down the engine right as the motor reaches its peak rpm. then look at ur plugs, uwill know exactly what ur motor was just doing, at idle, things always look aright, WOT things are a different story.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Re: (92gsrteg)

A/F looks fine, but timing needs to be retarded a bit.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Not to sound like a ***** or anything but You can tell almost NOTHING from those plugs other than the fact your car ran *** rich on the way to the track and you need to run more timing. Also recheck the gap on #2, it looks to be gapped wrong (noting the bend in the groundstrap that isn't present in the other 3 pics). It might just be the angle of the pic?

Go make a full WOT pass at the track with fresh plugs, tow the car back to the pits, and then take pictures of your plugs, this will give you a very good picture of what is really going on in your engine at WOT. If the plugs have anymore use than this the information is going to be a lot less valuable.

Secondly, you need to take pictures of the base of the porcelain (most easily done by cutting the plug apart). This will allow you to view the formation of the hyrdocarbon ring. Check this article out:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/fo...=7255

It is a very good compilation of how to properly read plugs and what indicators to look for. The plugs picured came out of a high 7 second 10.5" tire nitrous car (street legal).
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fperra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fperra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A/F looks fine, but timing needs to be retarded a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope
Old 04-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions on my Spark Plugs *big pic* (Phase Change Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phase Change Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.yellowbullet.com/fo...=7255

It is a very good compilation of how to properly read plugs and what indicators to look for. The plugs picured came out of a high 7 second 10.5" tire nitrous car (street legal).</TD></TR></TABLE>

has anyone else noticed in this article where he shows the plugs he says..."this plug has the timing to far advanced" "so you will need to advance the timing"

whats that about? and we dont run the heat mark on our plugs all the way back on the threads....also that heat mark can be off if your using the wrong plugs
Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Opinions on my Spark Plugs *big pic* (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

has anyone else noticed in this article where he shows the plugs he says..."this plug has the timing to far advanced" "so you will need to advance the timing"

whats that about? and we dont run the heat mark on our plugs all the way back on the threads....also that heat mark can be off if your using the wrong plugs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, never did notice that. Looks like Monty made a bit of a typo. I think what he meant to say was that the pic with the blueing line in the threads was too far advanced but in the pic with the line pointing to the bend on the groundstrap needed 1.5 degrees more timing. Usually having the mark right at the base of the ground strap is where most of the big nitrous guys like to keep it. This is, of course, dialed in after they have their air/fuel dialed in since AF also effects the blueing line to some degree.