Notices

Opinions cams and turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions cams and turbo...

Okay I am just wanting peoples opinions on this. On a LS with cams, for NA, would the cams be good for the turbo? Opinions...
Old 07-27-2002, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (CimorelliCRX)

Cams geared towards NA are not good for turbo, you are better off stock. If you want cams on a turbo set up, get turbo cams.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (GudeH23a)

Cams geared towards NA are not good for turbo, you are better off stock. If you want cams on a turbo set up, get turbo cams.
Word. I've got a set of "custom" ground turbo cams. All I can say is holy shiet. It moves in boost like the hand of god is pushing the car. For LS cams they have some crazy lift, but 0 duration. Which is good for boosted applications. I finally got my setup running correctly after I installed my new cams a few weeks ago.....All I can say is a VTEC head will never touch my engine.

@ 10 lbs of boost it starts breaking loose in 3rd above 6K, that on a decent suspension setup and Falken tires. Where before with the stock LS cams all you got was just a nice scratch when you shifted into 3rd it wouldn't break loose at all after that. I also rev the LS to 8K, and it pulls without any signs of stopping all the way.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 8:54 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (Speed PHreak)

Man, you really have to get your car on the dyno. I am really interested to see what you will put down. I am most likely going lsvtec, but after hearing what you just said Im contemplating just doing the ls head.
Do you have any porting done to it. Just the Web's, springs and retainers right?
Old 07-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (93LSivic)

Yeah, the track and the dyno are 2 places I always need to go but never seem to make it there....hahaha I'm running a custom set of cams from Web, with Crower valve springs and retainers. On the bottom-end i'm running a GS-R/ITR girdle, ARP rod bolts and a B20 oil pump.

When I was going through that whole bent valve ordeal I decided to port the head and anything else I could get my hands on . I took the TB and ported it a bit, then I looked at the skunk2, but I was pretty much gasket matched as is. So I did a nice gasket match on the intake and exhaust side of the of the head. For the first time porting thing I did a pretty nice job on it. Next I moved on to that aweful DRAG manifold, I gasket matched the exhaust ports and the WG flange. The worst part if the whole job was the turbo flanges. Between the DRAG flange and turbo flange, I had to port away like an 1/8 of an inch all the way around the assmebly.

The head flows really nice now. The cams pull all the way to 8K, and I mean hard. After all was finally settled down on the car and I got to take it for real test drive. I noted that the port job must be working b/c it seems to boost about the same RPM, but it flows more. Instead of the 10 PSI I normally hit, It boosted up and stoped at about 10.5~11. I nailed into it about 3K in 2nd, it spooled up, broke loose at about 5.5K, all the way too redline, scratched tires for a long time on the 2nd-3rd shift, hook in took off, then broke loose again about 6K in 3rd. I shift at 8K into 4th, and eased back seeing how I was doing close to 100 already....

man it's fast
Old 07-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hehe. Right now Im going to meet the maker--well designer-- of your cams. The man, the myth, Josh. Buying his Crower rods from him. You guys would cry if you knew how much I was getting them for---I'll never tell!!
Old 07-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (93LSivic)

He he he, I know how much..........I'm just not ready to tear my engine down again. You are right, Josh and I are the only 2 people that have cams like these. I honestly think that they will out perform Crower's version. Tell Josh I said wassup.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 4:59 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for the props guys. Im glad you got the timing belt thing straightened out and that the cams rip. I told you those cams would work awesome. Ive had them up to over 9k and they still make power and torque dont fall off either.

Hey Dan im glad you like the price. See i told you i needed to sell them fast. Ill give you a call tomorrow
Old 07-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats awesome man!
Old 08-31-2002, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions cams and turbo... (HXMan)

So you guys are using Web cams eh? How can I get in contact with them? Sounds like they are some killer Turbo cams.