Notices

Oil Return Line - Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Oil Return Line - Your Thoughts

Could you guys take a look at my return line and tell me what you think?
Do you think it's got enough slope on it to drain properly?
It is a -10 line, 90 deg. out of turbo, then 90 deg. into oil pan.
Only other option I think would be to fab up a recover tank, then pump it back into the oil pan. And in case you ask, running a -4 feed.
Any and all comments welcomed! Any solutions very welcomed!!
Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Return Line - Your Thoughts

one of the worst returns ive ever seen, actually. not one but two 90* fittings on it, not good
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't say it's the worst I've seen. It has some slope lol, but I would try for an alternate solution. I think you would have better luck with a barb fitting coming off the turbo (I feel like barb fittings give you more room to work with than these hose end ones...might be just in my head tho). You usually have like 4-5 barbs on the fitting so you could even shorten it with a dremel and still keep it from slipping off while giving you more room to work with the hose. But I think the main problem is the bung on the pan. It's too far to the right. If you had another welded closer to your turbo but still in the deep side of the pan, you could cap the old one and this setup might actually work.

On second thought, I'm still skeptical because of the 90 degree fitting at the pan. This is a similar issue I had with my turbo setup but my turbo sat a little higher than yours so that helped. Maybe someone can weld you up a hard drain line to get all the bends you need.

Last edited by accord_raffi; 03-15-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not have a 45 come off the turbo?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeLucia
Why not have a 45 come off the turbo?
Not a bad idea, might try to look into that.

Originally Posted by boostedBLUfg2
one of the worst returns ive ever seen, actually. not one but two 90* fittings on it, not good
For you calling it the worst, it works good. No problems with it. That being said, I'm sure it's not as efficient as it could be. I see others and mine just doesn't slope the same. Seems my manifold holds the turbo further down than others.

Any other comments?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i said one of the worst.. not the worst. i've seen some that actually go down and then back up.. those are the worst.

the problem is two-fold. for one, your manifold has the turbo extremely low, so you barely have any options for routing it without the line going down past the bung. the second problem is that is that the dp/dumptube are right where you could route the line more gently.

my buddy had a setup like this, and our solution was to tap the pan at a very sharp angle. it looked very shoddy at first, but he had it welded and it was on there solid. he was then able to use a 45* fitting on the pan and accomplish what you are with the 90* fitting. so you might look into that if that's feasible.

as someone else also said, you can try a 45* fitting off the turbo. if you do that, i think you'll have to route the line around the exhaust though, as it looks like it'll hit/rub if you angle it between the block/exhaust at a 45* fitting
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can give yourself about one inch of additional height by getting rid of that npt flange and npt -> -10 adapter and just using a flange with a -10 built in or welding a -10 fitting to your current flange. this would allow you to easily use a 45 degree adapter at the turbo.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not have the oil return run straight down and into the pan closer to the turbo. You can get a couple barbed fittings and run it that way.

I had mone on my old setup comin straight out of the turbo with a adapter to a 10an straight push lock nipple and then a very short piece of hose and a 90* push lock elbow into the pan right under the turbo rather than over to the side like that.

Drained just fine with no probs at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all, I'll see what I can come up with from all your good comments.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM B20 EH2
Why not have the oil return run straight down and into the pan closer to the turbo. You can get a couple barbed fittings and run it that way.

I had mone on my old setup comin straight out of the turbo with a adapter to a 10an straight push lock nipple and then a very short piece of hose and a 90* push lock elbow into the pan right under the turbo rather than over to the side like that.

Drained just fine with no probs at all.
Usually people have problems with draining into the shallow end of the pan so I'm surprised yours was fine.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs work, rule of thumb is never use 90s and try to make it as straight as possible. Are you burning any oil through your exhaust? Seems like there should be some backup with the way that line is ran.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes me wonder why exhaust manifolds are made to sit turbos down this low and collecting at the center when it's obviously going to make reaching the oilpan this hard.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg
Needs work, rule of thumb is never use 90s and try to make it as straight as possible. Are you burning any oil through your exhaust? Seems like there should be some backup with the way that line is ran.
No, not burning any oil. Only reason of changing the set-up is going to a bigger size turbo. I have sold the one on it, and figured I might look into the oil return line after seeing others here on the site.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could always use an electric scavenge pump