Notices

oil pressure low, why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure low, why?

i have a oil pressure gauge in my car and when the car is on it reads 0 but when i give it gas it raises up, my buddys car at idle is at 20/25. what could these be?

the car has oil,new oil pump, prodrive oil gear, moroso oil pan,GE plugs, motor was just built. what should i do?

thanks

Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pressure low, why? (mcaro)

We will make the assumption that you remembered to put oil in the motor. If you know the gauge is good, you should tear down the motor. Did you forget to bolt on the oil pickup tube tightly?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil pressure low, why? (locash)

Or a gasket.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

generally low oil means a few things:

-bad pump
-bad seal around pump
-bad pickup
-bearing gap is too large
-low oil
-etc
Old 09-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

Id probably lead towards a shitty gauge before you tear the motor apart..

you have 0 pressure at idle but i assume that its not making a ton of knocking?

Try a new gauge.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tmac007)

mechanical or electrical? I'm assuming electrical, if it's mechanical your engine is probably fubar'd...
I was reading up the other day about oil pressure guages and it seems that quite a few people have a hard time wiring them up...I know I read a thread where the guy had an identical problem to you.
Try seaching a little and I'm sure you'll find your answer. Provided the engine is healthy, and not knocking like crazy, the problem is the guage or at least the wiring
Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not jacking this thread bu im kinda having the same issue. I use mechanical autometer gauge. at idel it will go to 40psi or so an warmed up 20psi. but when im up in higher rmps it goes to 60..but then drops to 55 or so. I have aT of the side of the head. one to gauge an one to turbo. I was thinking maybe the turbo was pulling more oil causing it to drop below 60. (no oil restrictor in turbo line)
Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrivinVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrivinVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not jacking this thread bu im kinda having the same issue. I use mechanical autometer gauge. at idel it will go to 40psi or so an warmed up 20psi. but when im up in higher rmps it goes to 60..but then drops to 55 or so. I have aT of the side of the head. one to gauge an one to turbo. I was thinking maybe the turbo was pulling more oil causing it to drop below 60. (no oil restrictor in turbo line)</TD></TR></TABLE>

People have mixed reviews on this, from what i've read in the past, for me, when i had my line t'd like you do, i had a lower reading, when i went to a designated line for oil pressure, it changed, to the higher readings.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you thinking ill be ok. motor is out anyways an getting new guts. there going to check the oil pump while there in there. but i got a sandwhich plate to see if that helps any. well see.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i took the sender out to see if it was clogged but it wasnt, i checked the gauge and one of the wires where not connected so i did that the pressure when to 15psi. but it should be higher then that right? a buddy of mine told me to drop the pan? my motor does not knock
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will if you don't find the issue and you do have low pressure.

Drop the pan to see if the pickup is tight and the gasket is still good.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrivinVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrivinVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not jacking this thread bu im kinda having the same issue. I use mechanical autometer gauge. at idel it will go to 40psi or so an warmed up 20psi. but when im up in higher rmps it goes to 60..but then drops to 55 or so. I have aT of the side of the head. one to gauge an one to turbo. I was thinking maybe the turbo was pulling more oil causing it to drop below 60. (no oil restrictor in turbo line)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmmm...I have a few guesses for you. One, obviously, when you're at idle the oil is going to be at a lower temp than when at WOT, so if your oil is old and broken down or cheap oil or not a good visoucity for your engine, that possibly could cause the problems.
My other guess is something is messed up with your oil line routing/tapping. Which head are you using? Are you sure that the "t" is in a spot where it is constantly getting oil pressure? If I were you I'd ditch the "t" and get either a sandwich plate (like you said you were) or run an oil distribution block and mount it on your fire wall. You would run this from the stock oil pressure sender location to a "distribution block" where it would have a spot for stock oil pressure sender, your guage, and turbo feed. That way you'd know for sure you're getting good readings. There is also the chance that something is screwed up with your guage too, I would consider getting an electrical guage so you won't have hot oil inside your car.
Here's a picture of the kit I mentioned. It's only $35.74 shipped from fast-turbo, send "Flamenco-T" a message if your interested.

Here's a diagram of how to hook it up

And a link to buy the gauge...
http://shopping.lightningmotor...=1933
Hope this helped
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my gauge used to do that, so i bought a new one and tada it was fixed. if your having 0 oil pressure then your idiot light would come on too
Old 10-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (raiden571)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raiden571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my gauge used to do that, so i bought a new one and tada it was fixed. if your having 0 oil pressure then your idiot light would come on too</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as it was hooked up again.