Notices

oil past seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil past seals

just installed a rebuilt turbonetics turbo and didnt run any restritor with a -3an line, oil past seals which seemed logical too much oil, now the question do you think i should have the seals redone? i still have the turbo in and installed a .055 resistor and ran the turbo again. oil still seemed to get past the seals so i think they maybe be bad but also thought it could just be excess oil still leaking from the last time it seeped over the seals.......thanks for the input
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil past seals (JTmoney)

if you ran the car without a restrictor for a while and now notice that oil was leaking past the seal its worth the money of a rebuilt but if you just put on the turbo and turn on the car and figure that oil was going passed the seals and then put on a restrictor, let the car run for a while and the turbo should clean/drain itself out.

btw, check your pcv valve/catchcan setup and oil drain also
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: oil past seals (skellator_thoj)

yeah i only ran the turbo for a total of like 20 mins on seperate occasions so i dont think it would damage the seals too bad. after i saw the leak i didnt run it nemore and put the restrictor on but it seemed like oil was still gettin past so i thought maybe a smaller restritor but well see, btw i have a stock PCV system and i havent checked the drain yet i was gonna put in a clear tube for dump just to see the kinda of flow but i havent gotten that far yet, do you suggest changin the PCV to an oil catch because i know the stock valves wont allow boost? u gave me a good startin point thanks for all the input
Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil past seals (JTmoney)

yea, you can go ahead and change the pcv valve because its it won't open and will cause a positive pressure in your crank case and thus it will not let the oil drain down into the oil pan. Also, make sure your restrictor is .22 or 1/64(really don't rerember).. anyhow, before you put on any restrictor on any turbo, your should make sure you have a -3 line and measure how much pressure is actually going to the turbo. 15-25psi is good anything other than this is bad
Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: oil past seals (skellator_thoj)

sounds good man......yeah ive been meaning to do those things but ive just been really busy so ill prob get to it this weekend i hope everything turns out.....thanks again man for all ur help ....hopefully i wont need any for a while but if i do im commin to you.....haha
Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how long is your oil line, and whats the info on your return line? (<-- running no restrictor on a T3/T04E)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

my return in an -8an line and its prob like 15 inches long i kinda had to route it weird cuz of my downpipe. i think that it might have been part of the problem cuz i used a piece of clear tube for the return and routed it different and the turbo wasnt leakin nemore. so maybe i just had a kink in my line or i had build up somewhere because it had back flow. i also changed out my pcv valve for a brass fittin the just slid in its place. i ran it again today but im gonna let it sit overnight to see if i have oil deposits again thanks though.....lemme know if u have any suggestions and what you think about my return line.