Notices

oil in my charge pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my charge pipes

hey guys, heres the problem..

i posted about a week ago about my apexi turbo seizing up on me while i was driving. well i ordered another turbo. when i went to change everything out, i pulled off my charge piping from IM down and there was oil in it. i went down to the charge piping before the cold side of the intercool and TONS of oil poured out.. there was a huge mess in mostly on the cold side of my charge piping.

i cleaned it out as much as i could, let the FMIC drain out and thought it would be okay. well i guess i might be wrong..

i started my car after i swapped turbos.. the car has a consistant smoke coming from my exhaust.. a strong smell of oil.. i noticed that there was still oil coming out of my BOV..

my question now is, will that burn off? where is it coming from? where would the old oil have gone? if there were oil in my intake manifold down into the head, would that burn off or do i need to pull the head/IM to actually clean everything out considering there is probaly a huge layer sitting on the top side of my pistons? can any damage be done?

i just find it real odd that most of the oil is on the cold side rather then the hot side.. ive never had this happen nor have i ever read anything like this before.. TIA!
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just take them all off and clean them really good. maybe use something that will knock the oil off.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigbadboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just take them all off and clean them really good. maybe use something that will knock the oil off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you read the complete post ??

i bought a can of seafoam but im not sure if that'll work completely.. i just got done last night after waiting and searching for a few parts.. i havent taken out the spark plugs to check to see if there was alot of oil sitting in the combustion chamber.. im really hoping that the smoking is from the motor burning oil off..
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g23_ej1)

help anyone? whats the worse that could've happened to my motor?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I had my Greddy kit on my GSR this same thing happened. I ended up cleaning everything up and got another turbo also. That fixed my problem. Maybe you just need to clean up a bit more or check your intake manifold. Sorry I am not much help. Bump for you anyway.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmtegra666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmtegra666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I had my Greddy kit on my GSR this same thing happened. I ended up cleaning everything up and got another turbo also. That fixed my problem. Maybe you just need to clean up a bit more or check your intake manifold. Sorry I am not much help. Bump for you anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so nothing happened to your motor right? i really didnt get the chance to clean it.. i kinda rushed everything.. i basically set the intercooler on its end and let whatever was in there drain, cleaned pipes, etc.. after i started it i noticed that it was leaking again from the bov so there must still be some left in the ic or some spitting out from the head or something..
Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your motor should be fine. Just clean the charge pipes and intercooler really well.

I had the same thing happen to me pretty much. I didn't know my compressor seal was shot until I noticed that oil would spray out my BOV when I shifted. lol

My intercooler had over a quart of oil in it

Haha... ****** A.

I pulled everything apart, had the turbo rebuilt, cleaned the intercooler and charge pipes out, put it all back together and it was fine after that.

Just FYI, my turbo was performing perfectly, and the hot side wasn't leaking oil at all, but that compressor seal was spewing oil into the charge pipes. It took me a while to figure out the problem because most of the time you hear about turbos leaking it's on the hot side and there's smoke. But in my case (and yours) the turbo is leaking out the cold side into the charge pipes.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

well actually my car was smoking pretttttttttty bad.. i drove like 3 blocks and i drove it back.. when i opened up the TB it looked pretty oily in there.. will that cause a problem? do you think seafoam will help clean it out? you think pouring some degreaser into the intercooler, then pressure washing the insides out will hurt it at all?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g23_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well actually my car was smoking pretttttttttty bad.. i drove like 3 blocks and i drove it back.. when i opened up the TB it looked pretty oily in there.. will that cause a problem? do you think seafoam will help clean it out? you think pouring some degreaser into the intercooler, then pressure washing the insides out will hurt it at all? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't be a problem. I would just use some seafoam to clean the IM out and then clean the rest out with degreaser.

I actually put my intercooler in our bathtub and washed it out with soap and water.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

update:

i took my intercooler to work, sent tons of degreaser in it and pressure washed it.. took the BOV off and sent air through it to clean it out as much as possible.. TONS of oil shot out of the dual chamber.. also pulled plugs to check pistons and plugs for oil, NONE.

anyways, i take it home, put it all back together.. no smoke.. well i drive it around for a few minutes, i dont see any smoke.. pull home and smoke again.. there is a little bit of oil coming from the bov again..

do you think a little bit of oil in the bov could cause it to smoke that much?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How is your feed and return line? What max pressure is the turbo capable of handling and what size is your return??
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is your feed and return line? What max pressure is the turbo capable of handling and what size is your return??</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe the feed is a -4an and the return line was a custom one i made with a heater hose.. the heater hose has to be at least 3/4".. the turbo is just a little greddy td04-15g to replace the old ihi.. oil pressure is pretty high now also.. used to sit at about 12psi warm idle, 70ish start up and about 60ish FT.. now its 85 start, 20 idle, and i havent gone full throttle but while regular driving after its warm it gets up into the 60 range.

this damn turbo better not be blown..
Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know what the max supply pressure that the turbo can handle is?? It would be given by the manufacturer. You might need a restrictor. Also, what is the ID of that heater hose? It needs to be at least 1/2", with no kinks and a general downward slope that ends in the middle to high side of the oil pan.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 AM

That happened to me too when I had bad seals in my turbo. I sprayed brake cleaner in the intercooler and piping and it get the oil off easily. My seals went out cause I had a kink in my drain line, its very important to get that damn thing as free flowing as possible, it'll save you a lot of $$$
Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you know what the max supply pressure that the turbo can handle is?? It would be given by the manufacturer. You might need a restrictor. Also, what is the ID of that heater hose? It needs to be at least 1/2", with no kinks and a general downward slope that ends in the middle to high side of the oil pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no i do not know it.. the turbo is just a replacement for my apexi ball bearing turbo.. return line is larger then 1/2" and it has more then enough of a downward slope to more of the top part of the oil pan..

my question is do you think that little bit of oil in the BOV will make it smoke?