Notices

Oil for LS turbo on E85

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil for LS turbo on E85

LS turbo on 15lbs running e85. What oil would you guys recommend?
Build should be done in a week or so. I need this info ASAP!
Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Oil for LS turbo on E85

corn oil should work just fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

E85 requires a certain type of oil? Since when...people these days
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

PSI does NOT matter. That could mean you are pushing 250whp or 500whp sitting at 15psi... it does NOT mean crap.

E85 does not mean CRAP. Why in the world would you think it would. Go to any store, ANY store, and look at the shelves. Do you see a brand with a label that says "E85 compatible"? Use common sense.

Before you ask AGAIN what weight you should run... Ask your builder, as obviously you are ignorant to how and what a modified car should do, be, and taken care of. The weight will be determined by your build clearances and climate temp it will be ran in. There is more than one reason why there are so many oils to choose from and every car uses a certain weight.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are actually some oils that are not compatible with Ethanol, but you may not find them if you are just going into a store and picking up oil. You will get Ethanol in to your oil pan, the amount is depends on your ring gaps and how much blow-by you are getting. The problem is that it does not mix with the oil, which affects how well the oil lubricates the internals. Ethanol is not a lubricant like oil. I run Brad Penn 20w-50 because of looser bearings clearances and it provides a really good amount of protection with the mineral additive package that it has. I change the oil every week to prevent from any issues that the ethanol could cause from getting into the oil.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Onebadturbocrv- it's funny how a lot of people like to act tough and talk down on people when they are sitting behind a keyboard when they know damn well they wouldn't talk like that to someone's face. I was simply asking to see if anyone would recommend a specific type of oil. Here's what I read somewhere http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._E85_Fuel.aspx this is 5w-40. So once again, just wanted to get some people's thoughts. I've been boosted before just not on e85 so that's why I asked.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also- Shell Rotella diesel oil works really well and its readily available at most autoparts stores!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4cylfiend
There are actually some oils that are not compatible with Ethanol, but you may not find them if you are just going into a store and picking up oil. You will get Ethanol in to your oil pan, the amount is depends on your ring gaps and how much blow-by you are getting. The problem is that it does not mix with the oil, which affects how well the oil lubricates the internals. Ethanol is not a lubricant like oil. I run Brad Penn 20w-50 because of looser bearings clearances and it provides a really good amount of protection with the mineral additive package that it has. I change the oil every week to prevent from any issues that the ethanol could cause from getting into the oil.
thank you... i was getting mad reading people saying "it dont matter blablabla"
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
thank you... i was getting mad reading people saying "it dont matter blablabla"
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

I promise, I would talk the same way face to face tough guy. I am also one of those people that have gun racks in my trucks back window. My leather vest with certain inscriptions on it for when I ride my Harley... What is your point?

Also, as I clearly stated - "Walk into ANY store..." if we want to get into oil specifics then we can. Have you guys even looked at or sent out any oil to places like Blackstone Labs, Associated Petroleum, Oil Analyzers, ect???

Any API-SN/ILSAC GF-5 oil is whats best to use regardless. Are you by chance going back in time to buy your oil? A ZDDP additive will net you both the benefits of older oils and the new oils designed for todays fuel. It isn't that hard to figure out.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
E85 does not mean CRAP. Why in the world would you think it would. Go to any store, ANY store, and look at the shelves. Do you see a brand with a label that says "E85 compatible"? Use common sense.
you are 100% wrong.

I promise, I would talk the same way face to face tough guy. I am also one of those people that have gun racks in my trucks back window. My leather vest with certain inscriptions on it for when I ride my Harley... What is your point?

Also, as I clearly stated - "Walk into ANY store..." if we want to get into oil specifics then we can. Have you guys even looked at or sent out any oil to places like Blackstone Labs, Associated Petroleum, Oil Analyzers, ect???

Any API-SN/ILSAC GF-5 oil is whats best to use regardless. Are you by chance going back in time to buy your oil? A ZDDP additive will net you both the benefits of older oils and the new oils designed for todays fuel. It isn't that hard to figure out.
you mad bro?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Onebadturbocrv are you nevasatisfied? Lol
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually have in fact sent my oil out to Blackstone Labs a few times. Here's a sample analysis:

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

So if that is the case, where is your argument? A majority of the oil available today works with E85. You even stated yourself that depending on engine specs that it would dilute it faster. You can run a typical ZDDP additive to get similar qualities as Brad Penn oil. It is no secret about that oil either and nobody is arguing it is a great oil. The OP is talking about a street car and your reasoning makes no sense as to how it applies to his application.

Mr Johnson - You couldn't **** me off if you tried. I have seen your childish videos that get posted and I am waiting to see the one of your funeral after a farmer catches you. Prove me wrong if you think you can, I am well versed in this art form.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I promise, I would talk the same way face to face tough guy. I am also one of those people that have gun racks in my trucks back window. My leather vest with certain inscriptions on it for when I ride my Harley...
Damn man, you are one bad dude. Are you in the Sons Of Anarchy by any chance?

Originally Posted by phaphon
Onebadturbocrv are you nevasatisfied? Lol
That was my guess as well in the Skunk2 IM thread.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if that is the case, where is your argument? A majority of the oil available today works with E85. You even stated yourself that depending on engine specs that it would dilute it faster. You can run a typical ZDDP additive to get similar qualities as Brad Penn oil. It is no secret about that oil either and nobody is arguing it is a great oil. The OP is talking about a street car and your reasoning makes no sense as to how it applies to his application.

Mr Johnson - You couldn't **** me off if you tried. I have seen your childish videos that get posted and I am waiting to see the one of your funeral after a farmer catches you. Prove me wrong if you think you can, I am well versed in this art form.
Just because the OP is talking about a "street" car doesn't make my statement irrelevant. He said his build is almost done so I can only assume that he isn't going to use OEM parts built to OEM specs. I'm not starting an argument, I was just simply explaining the reason why its important to keep up on maintenance with a turbo/ethanol engine. Just a little more detailed information for the OP, that's all.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sounds like its that time of the month for Onebadcrv. You must think your cool by saying you have a gun rack in your truck. I frankly do give a F***. I was just wondering what type of oil people would recommend. Thats it. And i know LBS doesn't matter just i just typed that up real quick and happened to include that. Just relax, take a deep breathe and don't take ish to heart homie. Thanks to all you other guys that provided input and feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MONGOLS!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

so...... vegetable oil maybe?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol. the owner of the land is in the cars we take in the fields.