Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap

Over the past two months I have been seeing a small mixture of oil and a liquid substance at the bottom of my oil cap. If I leave the car overnight and check the bottom of the oil cap in the morning I see the white milky stuff in there, but only a thin layer. It never accumulates more than 2mm high of it. It shows up nowhere else and I am not losing any oil by any means. I do have an open vent crankcase breather setup. I have also changed my headgasket last month. I have heard that this is only because of condensation and I have nothing to worry about. Is this true?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap (EK k kay)

It's probably coolant. Is there any oil in your radiator?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 PM

A small amount of condensation when cold is normal. Milky substance after driving is not.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap (cheapmodz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cheapmodz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A small amount of condensation when cold is normal. Milky substance after driving is not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said
Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap (cheapmodz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k24em2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably coolant. Is there any oil in your radiator?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No oil or coolant is mixing in the radiator or in the oil pan.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cheapmodz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A small amount of condensation when cold is normal. Milky substance after driving is not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't appear after driving. It only appears after the car has sat overnight in the cold. It has only happened in the past 2 months and it has been near freezing temperature outside for the past two months.

So are you saying that condensation is building up beneath my oil cap every night and mixing with the small amount of oil already there?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It has only happened in the past 2 months and it has been near freezing temperature outside for the past two months.

So are you saying that condensation is building up beneath my oil cap every night and mixing with the small amount of oil already there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like that's the problem. Don't freeze your motor!

When gasoline combusts with oxygen, the ideal reaction produces co2 and water vapor. Honda rings are known to be low tension, and over time allow some blow-by. With enough blow-by, you will have enough vapor in the crank case for 'dirty' dew to form under the cap.

I'd suggest doing a leakdown & comp test just in case. You may also benifit from a proper catch can setup if you aren't running one already. It will help suck that **** out of there.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil and liquid substance mixing at bottom of oil cap (HiProfile)

My compression is the same as it was before being boosted: 195, 180, 185, 190 or something like that. Haven't done a leakdown in a while though. My catch can setup is using a JAZ mini breather tank (open vent) with one port hooked up to the valve cover and the other port hooked up to the black box at the back of the block with no pcv valve.