Notices

Oil line problem Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil line problem Please help.

I drilled my oil line and put my fitting in, filled engine up with oil and then removed the oil return line and a small stream of oil keeps flowing out.

my camera phone wont send pics at the moment. I'll retry and post it later

Is this normally or do I toss the oil pan and go buy the moroso pan for $120
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

Old 12-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil line problem Please help. (dkgoodrich.com)

best thing to do is take the oil pan off and have a shop run a bead of weld around it...i dont trust those screw in fittings...shouldnt cost but a few dollars...well worth the piece of mind
Old 12-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasnt comming out of edges, I removed the rubber oil line from the nipple and it was comming out the nipple it self. The only thing I can think of is that I have placed the nipple too low in the pan. I believe its 1.2" from the top.

Heres the pic.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, you placed it too low.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, its all good, the moroso pan should be comming in sometime next week.

Thanks for your quick response
Old 12-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dkgoodrich.com)

Why's it too low? There are lots of people that run it lower then that, and some kit i believe uses the oil drain plug. Once you start the car it sucks the oil anywyas. Why were you concerned with this anyways? I wouldn't worry about it, unless your turbo is getting full of oil when your running.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

Of course he shoudl be wrried. If the oil comes out that means its too low.
Soem kits use the oil drain plug? What planet are you from?

For a quick fix, try filling the oil up until oil comes out of the nipple, then check the oil level on the dipstick.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXdan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXdan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Of course he shoudl be wrried. If the oil comes out that means its too low.
Soem kits use the oil drain plug? What planet are you from?

For a quick fix, try filling the oil up until oil comes out of the nipple, then check the oil level on the dipstick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever tried using a drain plug that is in the oil level? I have. I put a clear line on it, and i can tell you when you start up the motor the line will have no problems draining.

Like i said, to the OP why are you concerned with this setup? Your picture is pretty dark, but it looks like you are what an inch below the top. Plus, that's barely any oil coming out, not like its way below the line, how level was the car in that pic. I just don't see the issue here, is your turbo pushing oil out the exhuast or intake or something??

Edit: Like i said

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1407804
Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 AM

I dont know about it being too low...I was just looking at a 4cyl turbo porsche motor in our shop and the oil return goes to the very bottom of the pan via a banjo fitting.. if you dont want oil to run out then dont take the hose off..?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil line problem Please help. (dkgoodrich.com)

IT IS NOT TOO LOW, I have a clear line on my oil drain so I can see the oil and the oil sits like 2 inches above the line, (meaining it sits out side of the oil pan) initially this freaked me out, but when you start the motor it all drains down. AS long as there is flow and the oil just doe not sit there there will be no issues. Make sure your line is about 1/2 inch, it is not level or goes upwards towards the block, and you should be good. I will try to take a pic of the line later.

Oh and I have the moroso pan and the oil drips out of the pan with only 3.5 quarts.
Here are some pics with the car on. The rason why you could even see the oil is because of the oil pressure pushing the oil through, if I rev the motor ALOT of oil goes through there with no issues. I get about 60-80psi at wot.

THis is how my drain used to look, I swapped it out for the clear just to look at the oil, but the clear hose from Home Dpot has held up so well I never took it off.

Hope that helps. THe angle and size of the oil line is very important in determining the efficiency of the drain.
Happy New Year

Modified by drintegra at 2:02 PM 12/31/2006
Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why's it too low? There are lots of people that run it lower then that, and some kit i believe uses the oil drain plug. Once you start the car it sucks the oil anywyas. Why were you concerned with this anyways? I wouldn't worry about it, unless your turbo is getting full of oil when your running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive heard of oil becoming "frothy" when going through a turbo at full spool, because the oil gets spun around so dam fast it gets alot of air in it and can become quite foamy almost.

frothy anything has a hard time flowing through a pipe, and when it encounters solid oil, its just gonna backup in the system.

also u gotta make sure your PCV system is very good because if u get any pressure in the oil pan, oil is gonna backup instantly. (because oil pressure drops to 0 when it goes through the turbo)
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So should I gut my PCV valve? I have a oil catch tank inbetween my PCV and manifold.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should go into the sticky at the top of the page, and read about breather setups. There should be a long topic on it.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude your drain isnt too low.. i ran mine lower, just make sure your return line isnt restricting anything.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I'm gunna run it like this for a lil while before I put the moroso on. I get to start it tuesday, my tuner is bringing me my chrom chipped and basemapped ecu. Never had a boosted honda, should be fun.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny thing is, once I hit a lil over 3 quarts It started draining from the nipple just like my stock tapped pan.

The only reason I kept the moroso was the oil splash baffle inside the pan.

I also got a trasparent white braded oil return line.

My ecu was also held back a day so I removed the turbo manifold and downpipe to take to the welder to get braced and shortened.

Should be able to start it tommarrow. Thanks for you alls help.