Notices

oil level on turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level on turbo

sorry this may be a dumb question but ive always wondered when you fill your oil on ur motor should the oil level be at the 2nd dot on ur dipstick you know the max? i just wasnt sure if it was different for turbos or not , thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil level on turbo (Project99EK)

it should always be filled to the max, to the second dot. although i add another half quart on top accounting for turbo/oil lines.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil level on turbo (vtec.dc2)

I thought it should be higher then the bottom dot and lower then the top dot? but either way it should hurt if your at the top dot, jsut dont go past it. you dont need to add extra oil since your turbo, you should be fine adding same as a stock engine.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: oil level on turbo (StolenTeg)

the owners manual states that it should be between the two dots.

BEWARE of overfilling (adding more for turbo) this can actually lead to the return backing up and blowing the seals in the turbo. Think about it, if the oil level in the pan covers the hole you tapped, it will not drain properly.

I know this from experience, needless to say I am very careful when I do my oil changes
Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil level on turbo (Boosted2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the owners manual states that it should be between the two dots.

BEWARE of overfilling (adding more for turbo) this can actually lead to the return backing up and blowing the seals in the turbo. Think about it, if the oil level in the pan covers the hole you tapped, it will not drain properly.

I know this from experience, needless to say I am very careful when I do my oil changes </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Don't go over the top dot and you'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:00 AM
H-T White Ops

Once your oil supply line is filled it shouldn't empty back out again. Even when you do an oil change. Most people run a -3 line anyway. There can't be much more than 2-3 ounces inside the line anyway. I wouldn't worry about adding extra oil.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea so in that case aren't you better off keeping the oil level more towards the lower dot? when it's at the top dot the oil is level with the top of the oil pan right? that would mean your return fitting is just about under the oil level...
Old 12-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea so in that case aren't you better off keeping the oil level more towards the lower dot? when it's at the top dot the oil is level with the top of the oil pan right? that would mean your return fitting is just about under the oil level...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say hit the middle. B/C you may not be aware of how much oil you are loosing on a normal basis... If you run it too close to the bottom dot, then you can risk going below it... But then again, I'm pretty sure the honda engineers thought of such, you do still have the idiot light... if you are running too low.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (scartail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scartail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But then again, I'm pretty sure the honda engineers thought of such, you do still have the idiot light... if you are running too low.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil pressure gauge
Old 12-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

I have 2 feet of 3an to the firewall, then 4 feet of 3an to the turbo. In that line alone, there is 1.98 cubic inches of oil.

I have 12 inches of 10an as a return. In that line there is 3.68 cubic inches of oil.

Thats about 5 & 2/3 cubic inches, or 3.2 ozs, or a tenth of a quart.

just to give you an idea of how much extra yer oil lines need! OF course I neglected the volume inside of any tees, or inside the center cartridge of the turbo... but u get the idea
Old 12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 2 feet of 3an to the firewall, then 4 feet of 3an to the turbo. In that line alone, there is 1.98 cubic inches of oil.

I have 12 inches of 10an as a return. In that line there is 3.68 cubic inches of oil.

Thats about 5 & 2/3 cubic inches, or 3.2 ozs, or a tenth of a quart.

just to give you an idea of how much extra yer oil lines need! OF course I neglected the volume inside of any tees, or inside the center cartridge of the turbo... but u get the idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep the 3.2 oz in mind when I do my next oil change... ...

I figure someone had done the calculations...
Old 12-29-2004, 03:32 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (B18EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 12 inches of 10an as a return. In that line there is 3.68 cubic inches of oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you won't have any in your return line when the car's off. It'll all be drained out into the pan.