Notices

Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no?

I saw this on ATP turbo a little while ago and have been wondering if it really works...

I mean, if it really allows you to see the oil draining from your turbo then it would help you determine if your turbo is getting enough oil right?

I just have to wonder how the material is strong enough to withstand all the heat and be translucent at the same time...

I would think the inside would get coated with oil and just turn black, which wouldn't allow you to see the oil flowing...

What do you think? Anyone actually have one?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=FTG
Old 02-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (EJ1 wilcox)

Huh?

Why you worried about your turbo not getting enough oil?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (m R g S r)

I'm not personally worried about my turbo getting enough oil.... I just saw this on ATP turbo and wondered if anyone has one... and why?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATP Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An obstructed oil return system can throw the entire turbo system for a
loop. Symptoms such as excessive oil leaking past the seals into the
compressor and turbine housings, oil in the intercooler and intake pipes,
smoke in the exhaust.

Troubleshooting an obstructed oil drain can be very difficult......until now!

Using a space-age "see-through" material and some trick machining on our CNC,
we've devised a component that makes it easy to spot oil backing up into the
turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (EJ1 wilcox)

Most people are more concerned with the turbo getting less oil than the engine wants to give it by restricting flow, they dont need much at all, theyd probably be fine with under 10psi with a 3an line

Nifty idea for someone to make them feel special I suppose, but like you said, even oil was just trickling out it would cover the sides and you wouldnt be able to tell ****
Old 02-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is that made out of?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most people are more concerned with the turbo getting less oil than the engine wants to give it by restricting flow, they dont need much at all, theyd probably be fine with under 10psi with a 3an line

Nifty idea for someone to make them feel special I suppose, but like you said, even oil was just trickling out it would cover the sides and you wouldnt be able to tell ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but you want to restrict the flow of the feed line. If you restrict the flow of the return line than your just going to **** up the seals on the turbo
Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM

If that fitting is translucent it has to be made of somw sort of lexan. Not worth it in my opinion. Just imagine torquing the bolt down and wondering why it wont get tight, then pulling it out and finding the threads are gone.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do they make translucent engine blocks, because I'd like to make sure my pistons are going up and down when the engine is running...
Old 02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

although they claim it to be a space aged material or something of that nature, the picture kinda looks to be photoshopped.. just look at the fitting, you can see some characteristics of metal on the surfaces??

ingenius , non the less
Old 02-05-2005, 02:06 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What do you think? Anyone actually have one?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it exists for those with too much money and no other way to spend it wanting something to set them apart from the rest so they can say "look what I've got bitch!"

yeah, it'll probably get coated over time if you dont change your oil like you should but shouldn't be hard to clean it with acetone or something like that, which will eat out oil residue like no tomorrow.

probably made of some sort of high temp acrylic and because it's plastic it wont need any kind of thread sealer since it will expand and form it's own.

not too shabby if you ask me.

but for $36 I'll go get a standard fitting from summit for $6.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe this is only to verify that the oil is draining correctly.Once you see its working correct you replace it with a regular fitting.
Glenn
Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (NJIN BUILDR)

Or just disconnect your drain for a few seconds and have it flow into a can
Old 02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or just disconnect your drain for a few seconds and have it flow into a can</TD></TR></TABLE>

you do realize how much oil will be draining into that "can" in the few seconds you have it active??

if 50psi of oil pressure goes INTO the turbo...50psi is going to come OUT of it, or very close to that.

that can will fill up QUICK.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you do realize how much oil will be draining into that "can" in the few seconds you have it active??

if 50psi of oil pressure goes INTO the turbo...50psi is going to come OUT of it, or very close to that.

that can will fill up QUICK. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude its a 3an line, not a ton of oil and lets not forget area x pressure=area x pressure so 50psi throu a 3an = 10.6 psi thru a 10an Assuming 3an is 3.33 times as large than 10an
Old 02-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Translucent oil drain fitting?... anyone have one? worth it? or no? (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that can will fill up QUICK. </TD></TR></TABLE>

um, not that much comes out. you can just run the oil into a can and dump it back into the crankcase. just have a buddy ready to shut it off for you unless you have something bigger than a "can"
Old 02-05-2005, 05:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (92HB_HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although they claim it to be a space aged material or something of that nature, the picture kinda looks to be photoshopped..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "Space age" started back in 1957 with the launch of the first artificial satellites. Old technology.

Not something I'd really use in advertising a product anymore.