Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor.....

I noticed it the other day while checking under the hood. It's not a massive leak but it seems to be seeping. It looks like it's coming from right where the block and head meet, right under the distributor, head gasket? I was told not to worry about it but I don't like it. My motor is fully built, there are 2 other guys that I know of that have this exact same problem. There all different blocks too. One is a dart block o ringed, the other is an ls/vtec stepped deck(mine), and finally a b16 stock internals. We all have cometic MLS head gaskets so we wonder what's up? 3 different types of block/setups, all turbo and leaking in the same area.

Any feedback or input would be great.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (GEN2TEG)

you might be leaking from the dizzy. change out the o-ring. i doubt it's your headgasket.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (doughboy247)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might be leaking from the dizzy. change out the o-ring. i doubt it's your headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats probably it, you should use new seals when rebuilding.

Landon
Old 05-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (boosted_dc2)

Its not that as my engine was just built with all new everything and it does the same thing. Never seen it b4 of my 4 years being boosted but a few of us have it this year for the first time, Not reall a biggie but after some hard driving it flows enough to roll down the block and onto the d/p for a bit of a smoke show!
Old 05-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (doughboy247)

I made sure that all seals were new. Maybe I missed some, I hope I did. Sorry for my ignorance but what is a dizzy?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (GEN2TEG)

haha my only thought is the distributor you fawkin newb,

NO video dyno tomm, KABOOM

jokes, at least you got a car that dont have issues, the kenny sauga
Old 05-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (B18C GSR CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C GSR CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha my only thought is the distributor you fawkin newb,

NO video dyno tomm, KABOOM

jokes, at least you got a car that dont have issues, the kenny sauga </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification camera man
Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i knoe whats happening..i had the same issue u had...whats happening is that when ur getting on it hard the head is lifting up from the block...maybe u should try getting new head studs or re-torque ur head studs...try wipping the oil off and drive like 2 miles or so normally..and if theres no oil there then its good...then hit it hard and check it again..and if oils there then more then likely ur head is lifting OFF ur block...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (yaaj1320)

he's a newb but tarcy, I did what he said. I drove it around my big block, nothing, did the same lop but hit it twice and a little seep of lube. Its not a big deal but you as I would both liek to have it fixed. I had it smokin on the hwy last night and I got off, a lady rolls up besdie me and was like

"son, your car is gonna expload".

I was like" Thanks, Its just oil dripping onto the turbo d/p"

HAHA i wish i had my cam, she was like WTF

Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (B18C GSR CIVIC)

Don't feel bad... my car has "the weep" too.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Oil leak from head meeting block, right under distributor..... (SiR Kid)

i just changed my head gasget to a oem honda one and i have the same damn problem. im gonna retorque my head and hopfully it fixes it.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll change the o ring seal first, if it doesn't cure it i'll re-torque the head studs.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GEN2TEG)

vtec solenoid gasket gets my vote. seems to leak on just about every B series..and collects oil in the same spot on all of them. looks like its coming from the head gasket b/c that is where it collects......but if you look above that....thats usually where it comes from. either that or cam seal or distributor o-ring. i usually just replace all of them..oh or valve cover gasket also
Old 05-12-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

Its the cam seal from my experience oem cam seal suck *** in my opinion but I replaced mine with a 18 dollar str off of ebay good investment not to mention honda oem cam seals are about the same price.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are they all ls/vtec? I have seen a few when they head has a plug put in it to block the stock oil feed hole and then it leaks a bit. this oil can and does run under the head and threw the crack where the head and block meet. and ends up on the part number of the head gasket at the front left of the motor. Some times the oil goes down the back of the block but on more the 3 ocasions i have seen it run down the front due to the tilt of the motor.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vtec solenoid gasket gets my vote. seems to leak on just about every B series..and collects oil in the same spot on all of them. looks like its coming from the head gasket b/c that is where it collects......but if you look above that....thats usually where it comes from. either that or cam seal or distributor o-ring. i usually just replace all of them..oh or valve cover gasket also</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what happen to me i thought i blew my head gasket.......so i had it replaced and it still leaked in the same spot come to find out it was the damn vtec solenoid gasket
Old 05-12-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b16crx1)

There are a few different places the oil can weep from.
all have been mentioned.
1. Distributor
2. Cam seal
3. Vtec solenoid gasket.

If all those seem to be fine, then try using some copper spray on the headgasket when replacing it. This helps to seal any imperfections that block or head may have and keep everything clean and oil free.