Notices

Oil in intake, blue smoke from tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake, blue smoke from tailpipe

I've been having a problem with my Edlebrock turbo kit since day 1. I get puffs of blue smoke out the exhaust when coming to a stop. It usually happens when I leave the car in gear and coast to a stop. Right when I stop and put it in neutral I get a big puff of blue smoke out the exhaust. I have made sure the drain hose is routed properly, not kinked and is in a downward slope all the way to the pan. I pulled off the intake pipe to the turbo and there was a small puddle of oil in the bottom right where it meets the turbo. I'm assuming that the turbo has a bad seal in it? I only have about 1K miles on the turbo, and the motor only has about 31K miles on it. Just wanting to get second opinions on wether or not it is probably the turbo. I never had any smoking problem before the I put the turbo kit in.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Oil in intake, blue smoke from tailpipe (fxrob)

Sounds like a bad seal... thats the only feasible way i can see the puddle of oil getting to that location of pipe... its burning oil, thats your blue smoke... it wasnt smoking before the kit was put in? with only 1K on the turbo, your rings havent taken that much abuse so your motor is sucking that oil from the intake pipe... do you have an intercooler? check the rest of your charge piping to see if theres any residue of oil in those... if so, you know for sure that the oil is coming from the turbo... also, just yank the turbo off and inspect it... it doesnt take that long... unless its freezing F-ing cold where you are like here in MA...
Old 12-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in intake, blue smoke from tailpipe (Derek14)

Yes the kit comes with an fmic, I'm really hoping there isn't oil in there also. There is no oil coming out of the bov. I'm just really getting pissed with this Edelbrock kit, I've had nothing but problems with it. The fuel management sucks, and I've been misfiring around 6krpm like a LOT of other people have also. I put a K&N breather on the valve cover and blocked off the fitting on the intake tube. I am pretty sure it wasn't coming from there because there is no oil in the upper part of the intake tube by the breather fitting. I hope this doesn't get ugly wit Edelbrock
Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in intake, blue smoke from tailpipe (fxrob)

Anyone else want to confirm my turbo having a bad oil seal?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:52 PM

when you connected the pcv tube if you put it on the pressure side of the turbo that will cause it to smoke. check and see if you put the feed oil line on the return and the return on the feed. that will also cause it to smoke.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HoNdAfReAk_13)

That is not the case, the Edelbrock kit has different fittings for the feed and return.