Notices

Oil Filter Threads, How do I remove them? Engine is in car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Filter Threads, How do I remove them? Engine is in car!!!

I use to have a JDM block that had the OEM oil cooler on it.

I blew that one up and got a USDM (GSR) block and it has threads coming out of the block so I could not use the OEM Oil cooler.

I would like to use the oem cooler but I do not know how to get the threads out of the block. The other reason is I want to run a oil sandwhich plate to run my external oil cooler and turbo feed from. Before anyone suggest the GE plate, it does not have provisions for external oil cooler.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My only thought was to drill a hole through the threads and use like a screwdriver to turn it out. But i'm worred that 1, it is a very tight space, might not be able to dermel/drill there, 2, if I expletive up, I would be then screwed.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter Threads, How do I remove them? Engine is in car!!! (mike1114)

If you're going to run an external oil cooler, don't bother with the OEM oil warmer/cooler. It's just another restriction in the oiling system. An oil thermostat will help the oil warm up faster.

I use two sandwich plates; a Mocal thermostat'd oil cooler sandwich plate and a GE adapter plate.

The Mocal takes care of the IN and OUT for the oil cooler.

The GE adapter plate has a -8AN port that I use for the Accusump and a 1/8" NPT port that I use for the oil pressure sending units (OEM and GReddy).
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter Threads, How do I remove them? Engine is in car!!! (IN VTEC)

Its funny, I found a post from you about three years ago adressing this issue.

I also thought of double nutting it to get the threads out but no where carries M20X1.5mm nuts. I found one place but they wanted me to order 24 of them @ $8.95 special order.

I like you idea of using two sandwhich adapters. When I ordered mine, I was sent the wrong one, it will work but I wanted a different one. I'm going to try double stacking them like you suggested!!