Notices

Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls??

I'm thinking about putting together a budget turbo kit for a 94 Ls integra I just picked up. Only problem: automatic tranny.

i'll probably run about 8psi, log mani, cheap ic, t3 super 60 or similar, crome, etc. etc.

Any advice or info on the tranny? will it hold up? how much hp/tq can it take before slipping or taking a poop on me? I have another auto tranny incase something did happen to this one, but would rather not have to be swapping trannies often for a setup like this.

I'll just scrap the turbo kit plans and keep it stock if the tranny wont hold up.

any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i always figured a stock auto tranny would just DIE with boost... well.. you wouldnt be able to put much more then 200whp out of it without it slipping... you just cant buy an aftermarket clutch for it....
Old 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
i ♥ snails

aftermarket torque conveters
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

available for the LS though....
Old 10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aftermarket torque conveters</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about a torque converter but does anybody make one??
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chris1741)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris1741 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was thinking about a torque converter but does anybody make one??</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes but forgot who makes it
Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (chris1741)

It would be pretty fun for a while, I wouldn't expect the tranny to last very long though.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (. a d a m)

level10
i got my tranny done for ~1k there, was told it may hold 300hp
never installed, sold it and did the 5speed swap
Old 10-28-2006, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (banmeagain)

I'll look into Level 10, although i doubt i am gonna spend 1000 for this car. Its just gonna be my dd.

Any more info??
Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 AM

their really your only option
if youre serious call them
if you are a play baller, view their website
Old 10-28-2006, 07:37 AM

http://www.importperformancetr...shtml

Having the transmission overhauled with new steels and clutch packs will help it hold more tq. I had my civic auto redone with a tci rebuild and new tq. converter and it is so much better than before. It shifts harder and faster and is much faster off the line. I also suggest the largest trans. cooler you can. Heat kills autos.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 AM

that would definitly be a fun DD but that whole torque deal would cost way too much IMO esp since you dont really wanna sink alot of money into the car anyway
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (b18sihatch)

[URL]I found a guy in puerto rico who had a 10sec hyundai excel automatic and the trans was done with a custom TC look in http://www.rabule.com you will find alot of interesting cars and race shops
Old 10-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (p0gi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p0gi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.importperformancetr...shtml

Having the transmission overhauled with new steels and clutch packs will help it hold more tq. I had my civic auto redone with a tci rebuild and new tq. converter and it is so much better than before. It shifts harder and faster and is much faster off the line. I also suggest the largest trans. cooler you can. Heat kills autos.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much did it cost u for all that? and what size cooler did you go with? and at what cost? i looked at that website and it looks like their basic rebuild is $3000+ for hondas. Is that the service you had done?

thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is a manual swap totally out of the question? I would honestly recommend the auto&gt;manual swap, unless for some crazy reason you cant drive a manual (disability etc.). Its fairly cheap, and not hard at all, not to mention 10X more fun to drive, and you'll never have to worry about breakin a manual trans with a little budget boost setup. If you dont want to bother with the swap, i would recommend researching for a nice ballsy converter (which i hate to say, would probably run almost as much as a manual ls trans) and give the trans a good trans flush with some performance fluid maybe?? i'd be interested in seeing the results. good luck either way
Old 10-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (whiteef8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteef8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is a manual swap totally out of the question? I would honestly recommend the auto&gt;manual swap, unless for some crazy reason you cant drive a manual (disability etc.). Its fairly cheap, and not hard at all, not to mention 10X more fun to drive, and you'll never have to worry about breakin a manual trans with a little budget boost setup. If you dont want to bother with the swap, i would recommend researching for a nice ballsy converter (which i hate to say, would probably run almost as much as a manual ls trans) and give the trans a good trans flush with some performance fluid maybe?? i'd be interested in seeing the results. good luck either way </TD></TR></TABLE>

I already have a manual GSR hatch. I just picked this car up for cheap from a friend who had no space for anymore cars, so i figured for another $1200-1500 i would throw a cheap kit on it and see what the hell its like on an automatic. I have never had a auto honda and just thought it would be pretty nice turbocharged. I am also intersted in seeing the results, so i might go go ahead and do it and if it blows, it blows.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:16 PM

what i would do is figure out how much psi/power that transmission can take before it slips and ride the line between slipping and gripping
Old 10-28-2006, 05:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris1741 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How much did it cost u for all that? and what size cooler did you go with? and at what cost? i looked at that website and it looks like their basic rebuild is $3000+ for hondas. Is that the service you had done?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I traded services with a guy that ended up taking forever and did a mediocre job in the end. I bought the tci rebuild kit and torque converter which was about $1k total then had the guy rebuild it. I ran the tranny stock for almost 4 years (about 60k miles) without a problem. I just had it rebuilt because I wanted to put down more power.

The tranny cooler I bought:
http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

I never see temp. over 125*f, usually its about 100*, which theoretically means my tranny could last indefinitly
Old 10-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (p0gi)

automagic just aint worth it
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i would do is figure out how much psi/power that transmission can take before it slips and ride the line between slipping and gripping </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think thats what he's trying to do, thats why he's asking, haha

although every engine and trans is different.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls?? (eddie_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eddie_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[URL]I found a guy in puerto rico who had a 10sec hyundai excel automatic and the trans was done with a custom TC look in http://www.rabule.com you will find alot of interesting cars and race shops</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol, 10 sec auto hyundai? why. lol
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the turbo kit thats on my civic now was on a ls auto integra. the car ran ok.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
cuin9sec

Even if NOBODY on here boosted a Automatic LS...Why wouldnt you want to be a little different? lol
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (cuin9sec)

shadowdawn boosted his ls integra and made 189whp and 167wtq at 8psi and ran a 14.3 @101

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=448644
Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (p0gi)

The one thing to look forward to: boost never dropping after 1st gear. The trans keeps a load on the motor, keeping the turbo spooled. I think the 1st time I read about a turbo'd honda outside of a turbo/modified/SS magazine was at some temple of vtec website or something. It had some malasian (sp?) guy working with some company on an auto kit, from what I remember he was very happy.

If I was to assume honda followed the time-honored design of a torque converter set with GM's hydramatics waaay back when, then you may find a local tranny shop that will moddify and rebraze the converter's fins to hold more torque and become more of a stall converter. They may also be able to install new clutch packs. I knew a guy who's LIFE was auto trans (12hrs/5days on trans), cost me $150 for a 2k stall converter, rebuild, and shift kit install in my 67 firebird's TH350 trans. Those people are out there, just call around. You may even have to ask around at some muscle car meet.

Quick Reply: Anybody turbocharge an automatic Ls??