Notices

** Turbo project finished, need help on whats going on **

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Turbo project finished, need help on whats going on **

OK i just completed my turbo project on my d15b vtec with a hf manifold, 450 dsms, dsm bov, 14b dsm turbo, hacked exhuast/dump tube. so my problem is i get about 3500 - 4000 rpms and it just starts backfiring and sputtering out the exhuast like i have a 2 step. Then i look at the boost gauge and it will go up to about 5-6 psi and u cant even feel it at all or even the vtec like before. Also the bov wont work at all just a little bit of air comes out but u cant even hear it work and u can hear the turbo backspin. The things I think could be wrong are my spark plugs are NGK denso iriduims, my walbro 255 fuel pump isnt in yet, I still have my VAFC in my car and set the fuel to -40% all the way through, timings not retarded, and the cars not tuned. Just need some advice on if my bov will cause any of this or what my problem could be, i was also thinking the wastegate is busted. It is a big 16g wastegate. :-[ please help
Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ** Turbo project finished, need help on whats going on ** (slotec)

need help
Old 07-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ** Turbo project finished, need help on whats going on ** (slotec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my walbro 255 fuel pump isnt in yet, I still have my VAFC in my car and set the fuel to -40% all the way through </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm.... wouldn't you guess your not getting enough fuel?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then i look at the boost gauge and it will go up to about 5-6 psi </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you realize you're not to run the car in to any amount of boost until its tuned, or at least running a basemap ... not that a basemap would be alot better...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was also thinking the wastegate is busted </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the car does not reach full boost the waste gate will not open .... unless you're saying its open too often...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">need help </TD></TR></TABLE>

Start by NOT BOOSTING THAT CAR. A turbo car that is not tuned is very possibley running dangerously lean. Unless you hate you're motor and like the idea of melting your pistons and/or cracking your sleeves you need to get a wideband 02 sensor on that car and at least get it street tuned. Good Luck
Old 07-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he prolly is running dangerously lean, -40 across the board!!!!!! wtf!

If you invest 400$ into a wideband system like the lm-1 (innovative) you will save your engine from destruction!!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITSME4G63)

i also have 450 dsms in my motor so what are good settings for afc for fuel
Old 07-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (slotec)

it sputters at 3500 like a rev limiter? then your running in limp mode. you have a CEL correct? clear that out first. Also, change your plugs to regular NGK's at least one stepo colder with a gap of at least .030. Also retard your timing 2deg. make sure you jump the service plug before you do that and reset the ECU after. DBL check your AFC settings to make sure the car selection is set to 4cyl and arrow pointing northeast. Make sure its also selected to "pressure" 6 in 6out.