Notices

oil cooler options, need to get cooler oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler options, need to get cooler oil

trying to find different ways to lower temp in my turbo gsr. currently im seeing 240-250 during the day and 220-230 at night with my motor. the motor is fresh and sleeved and im running conventional oil until i get more miles on the motor. im currently looking at this oil cooler from b&m
Amazon Amazon
ill be running a mocal sandwich as well. the location of the cooler will be on the passenger side real similar on how calidad did his.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=3338

motor:
erl sleeved 84mm cp pistons
turbo tuff rods
ramhorn
predator turbo
14in zirgo fan with a halfcore rad
hondata s300 v1
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: oil cooler options, need to get cooler oil

Actually 240-250F is acceptable if you still have decent oil pressure. Anything over that will start to decrease your oil's life, but most turbo cars get changed under 3k miles while still having over 1k of life in the oil.

Is the motor using the OEM oil cooler? I've never liked how remote coolers can delay oil pressure at start-up. One thing I thought about in the past is using a separate coolant system just for the OEM cooler. A big trans cooler, a small reservoir, and a 12v pump (Laing D5 would be worth a look) in a separate coolant circuit. That would keep the oil system "short" so to speak, but drop the temp of the coolant in the oil cooler by at least 100F.

If you plan to use a remote cooler, try to stick it where it gets the most air flow. It may cool better if it's behind the intercooler vs behind a small side vent, since more air that's a bit warmer is better than a small amount of ambient air.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you use the right type of thermostat the thermostat will let oil bypass the cooler until it reaches a high enough temp for the cooler to be needed. I have a derale one, the passage between the thermosta halves is open when the oil is cold, oil is still in the cooler to prevent air bubbles, but it takes the easier path through the bypass, this stops cold oil from trying to make it through the cooler at startup
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

thanks for the info, ill have look into both ideas. still thinking about the cooler in a new location behind the intercooler. the only issue is if threw a cooler on it, how would i wire it to come at 180?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
thanks for the info, ill have look into both ideas. still thinking about the cooler in a new location behind the intercooler. the only issue is if threw a cooler on it, how would i wire it to come at 180?
You'd have to have your fan for the cooler wired somehow to the oil temp sensor that you have connected to your oil sandwich plate, or spliced into your management that can see oil temperature. That's really the only way it would work..

You don't want the cooler behind the intercooler. it won't pass through very well. you're better off at a lower source by itself, like I mentioned days ago.

That, or go with the Laminova system like I mentioned. But you gotta start going back to K.I.S.S...I'm just sayin'..
Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You'd have to have your fan for the cooler wired somehow to the oil temp sensor that you have connected to your oil sandwich plate, or spliced into your management that can see oil temperature. That's really the only way it would work..

You don't want the cooler behind the intercooler. it won't pass through very well. you're better off at a lower source by itself, like I mentioned days ago.

That, or go with the Laminova system like I mentioned. But you gotta start going back to K.I.S.S...I'm just sayin'..
derale makes a specific switch for your fan, you just need to drill and tap for 6-32 threads somewhere in a fitting. A lot of sandrail guys use the same switch, where they mount a cooler up in the air with a fan
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Senpai
you mean i should look into tapping into my oil temp gauge since it reads temp. as we all know, hondata doesnt read oil temp (i wish it did). trust me, ive been brainstorming mentally on this for days now. im still looking for ways to drop 10-20 degrees for the summer time in texas because i know the fall, spring and winter arent a problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your block have the fan switch on the back of the block near the altenator? Normally its used to control the condensor fan. Its not the best reference point since it gets its temp from the oil drainback, but it engages around 220-230f and is a simple temp switch. You could hook it up to a relay and use that to engage your oil cooler fan since theres no reason to have it come on below 220-230.

Thats assuming youre not using it now