Notices

Oil in charge pipes, not at the turbo though, only after intercooler?? Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in charge pipes, not at the turbo though, only after intercooler?? Pics inside.

Kay, boosted y8, few thousand on the rebuild, weekend car, track day abuse, three this year, some drag strip. Started smoking at the end of last year, rebuilt engine, seemed fine, then nope lots of smoke again this year. It usualy after i get up to speed stay constant, out of boost, or then stop, if i blip the throttle poof lots of smoke, or get on it. It's oil, spark plugs smell like a two stroke, and well look at the pics

Throttle body obviously

Shoots out my blow off

From the intercooler, side mount DSM

The kicker off the turbo, dry.....

and for the kill

Okay, back on subject its a ford svo t3/t4, i pulled it off a couple weeks ago to rebuild it, but there was no oil on the compressor side, seemed pointless. I'm boosting 15 psi, is it possible that the air is compressed enough that it keeps the oil until the intercooler and pressure drop? I'm soo lost here. 3an feed line, restrictor 1/16 of an inch, drain line is fine.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in charge pipes, not at the turbo though, only after intercooler?? Pics inside. (coneheadsra

Nobody......
Old 08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be that the intercooler has oil in it from the DSM that is came off of. I would take it off and clean it out and then see what it does.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboElements.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboElements.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be that the intercooler has oil in it from the DSM that is came off of. I would take it off and clean it out and then see what it does.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Beat me to it
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboElements.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be that the intercooler has oil in it from the DSM that is came off of. I would take it off and clean it out and then see what it does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^He's a Genius^^^, thats probably what it is.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MotorMouth)

Well, it is possible there is oil in there now, but it was cleaned out before i started it up this year.... anymore ideas.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

how do you have your valve cover vent? aka is it tapped into the intake manifold? what about PVC valve? is it in the intake manifold. Could just have reverse air once you close the trottle which is pulling the oil coming from the PVC valve out the BOV
Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (seen4ever)

Last year i still had the pvc hanging in there...

But this year i had a catch can, but it was sucking too much oil out of the black box on the back. Now both lines are just vented to open air... in other words the lines weren't in the intake this year. I did originaly have the catch can using a vacuum line to the intake side of the turbo. Like i said, not anymore though, and the turbo compressor side has no oil at all.

Only thing i can think is that it was sucking in oil from the turbo, and it pooled up in my intercooler, and the rest has cleaned up prior, but man oil just doesn't seem to dry up like that...

Guess i'll clean it all up, and start from there again.

Anyone think its possible, that my valve seals are shot, and when i'm lifting i'm sucking the oil backwards.... seems highly unlikely to me though.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last year i still had the pvc hanging in there...

But this year i had a catch can, but it was sucking too much oil out of the black box on the back. Now both lines are just vented to open air... in other words the lines weren't in the intake this year. I did originaly have the catch can using a vacuum line to the intake side of the turbo. Like i said, not anymore though, and the turbo compressor side has no oil at all.

Only thing i can think is that it was sucking in oil from the turbo, and it pooled up in my intercooler, and the rest has cleaned up prior, but man oil just doesn't seem to dry up like that...

Guess i'll clean it all up, and start from there again.

Anyone think its possible, that my valve seals are shot, and when i'm lifting i'm sucking the oil backwards.... seems highly unlikely to me though. </TD></TR></TABLE>valve seals are def a possibility

its something to look at if your car is smoking when you lift throttle and even if it isnt them then you can scratch that off the list of possible causes for the smoke.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

Yeah, those are only a year and change old, but you never know.

Can anyone explain the charcoal canister on the firewall. Anyone ever suck anything up from that. Thats the only line connected from anything outside.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, its looking more and more like valve seals. Has anyone ever had oil in the intake mani, from bad valve seals? Still not sure whats up with the charge piping, but the oil in there is really sticky/gooey, so i'm thinking its old, and maybe not a major issue there anymore, but i don't know. I'll do my valve seals soon, might be picking up another honda this weekend, so it'd be after that.