Notices

Update on oil in my intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on oil in my intercooler

Well There was no oil on the hot side of the intercooler, but there is on the cool side, in the bov, and in the throttle body. I pulled the compressor housing and the o-ring looks a little messed up, but the plate behing the wheel is perfectly clean. There is a little drip of oil, but besides that there isnt even an oil film in there. Also there is no shaft play in any direction. Any ideas...I will try to get some pictures up later.

Craig
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (VanHonda)

Old 11-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i noticed oil everywhere on the turbine side of your turbo... i think that's the problem... the seals from the turbine side could be leaking putting oil into the compressor even if its just a little bit, its doin it.

-ryan
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (tegasaurus)

I figured somebody would see that, its just penetrating oil from getting the turbo off. Sorry I forgot to put that in earlier.

Craig
Old 11-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VanHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I figured somebody would see that, its just penetrating oil from getting the turbo off. Sorry I forgot to put that in earlier.

Craig</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah, k
Old 11-24-2003, 12:19 PM

that big O ring is not going to leak oil. It's not an oil seal. Your oil seals are metal snap rings, located on either end of the shaft inside your housing. If you are leaking oil that is where you are leaking it from.

But like I said that big O ring doesn't control oil.

I suggest you talk to CHEAPTURBO.COM They will talk to you over the phone or online via AIM.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (T-sohctec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-sohctec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that big O ring is not going to leak oil. It's not an oil seal. Your oil seals are metal snap rings, located on either end of the shaft inside your housing. If you are leaking oil that is where you are leaking it from.

But like I said that big O ring doesn't control oil.

I suggest you talk to CHEAPTURBO.COM They will talk to you over the phone or online via AIM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you happen to know there AIM name?

Also I wasn't sure if there would be more obvious signs of a blown seal? I figured ther would be at least an oil film on the inside of the compressor.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (jz)

Yeah I got everything new. Total the turbo has about 5000 miles on it as well as everything else. Its a precision turbo that came with the rev-hard kit.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (jz)

actually I had this same problem last week...I had a charge pipe blow off and when I was putting it back on I noticed oil in my pipes..I was like WTF...damn. anway I just rebuilt this turbo..only about 600miles ago..so the first thought is that they musta screwed it up..well took it off they took it apart and it was dry as a bone. so then we had to get the brain cells working..what could it be...well my motor doesn't smoke in the least..so it couldn't be the valve seals...then what....then a bulb went off.....we surmissed that just off boost when the blowoff is umm blowing off that is sucking air from the intake..and also pulling on the PCV..which mine was in the little black box on the back of the block..well when its blowing off its sucking oil thru there into the charge pipes all the way down....bummer..well I just pulled the PVC out the box and let it hang in mid air...so now it only sucks air. anway..I aven't checked it yet..but I am about to put my new intercooler on...but I am sure that was the problem. I live in FL so emmisions isn't a problem for me...good luck

this is me BTW

Jon
Old 11-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (Jonny Black)

Have you considered blow-by as the culprit? if the oil is on the cold side of the IC, the BOV and the throttle body, oil might be blow in from the valve cover breather.
have you got a oil separator canister?
Stan
Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Update on oil in my intercooler (90crxsi)

Well I just put on my new intercooler..good lord what a difference..but more to the point. NO OIL. all my charge piping in bone dry..thank God. haha...well good luck, and I hope that your problem is as easy to fix as mine was.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonny Black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just put on my new intercooler..good lord what a difference..but more to the point. NO OIL. all my charge piping in bone dry..thank God. haha...well good luck, and I hope that your problem is as easy to fix as mine was. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I see you have a breather filter on your valve cover. Was this on there when the oil was in there? If so could you post a pick of what you pulled out? Thanks for the info that sounds as if it is my exact problem.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 11-25-2003, 09:43 AM

yes it was..and it is dry also..so I know I don't have any problems with my motor.

what I pulled out you can actually see in the pic I posted above..if you look at the filter there you will see a blue hose..and behind that you will see a black hose going into the intake. Well if you follow that down you will see your PCV its usually between 2-3 injector. remove it from the holder, but make sure it is still attached to the hose. thats it.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 AM

Well I just went and looked at everything and I am pretty sure that this is my problem. A quick question, is this where a catch can normally would go?

Thanks so much for helping me out, you saved me having to send my turbo out for unneccesary repair.

Craig
Old 11-25-2003, 10:07 AM

ya some people put a catch can on it. But I didn't need to. I had my pcv directly on my seprator box..but if your motor (which I am assuming is a B) is stock then your pcv should be on the intake manifold. usually between 2 and 3 injector..pretty sure...also test it while you have it out...from the top you should be able to suck on it..but not be able to blow thru it. If not then go get one from your local parts store..they are really cheap.

no problem..I was lucky, my freind owns a speed shop right next to the turbo place I had it rebuilt at, so I just took mine off there and walked right over. Althought in reality this was a 2 minute fix..it took me a few hours to remove..to find out it wasn't the turbo..install it back..and then relize what it really was. so all in all in was a fun day..hahha. But at least all is good now..and I am prety sure that is your problem too. good luck.

Jon