Notices

nitrous why not more users?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: nitrous why not more users?

But me personally, ill never use nitrous. I prefer properly sized turbos for my power goals

Plus around here cops don't play around when it comes to nitrous. Having a bottle or two is fine but as soon as lines are attached it's a huge ticket **** storm. Some have tried quick disconnects but that causes a whole different safety issue

Now if I had a purpose built drag car and needed help spooling a large turbo I might consider it but I've never been much into drag

We do mostly road courses and nitrous really doesn't have a place in it. Even when it comes to building v8s I still prefer NA power and torque, especially since we make 600whp with our LS7 and unless we're on our Hoosier R6 slicks. It spins everywhere even on Michelin pilot sport cups
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
ok so last few yrs i have had an itch to spray a b series(mildly) but the more i read it seems like almost eveyone is scared to use it unless full out drag/ built race style motor. so simple question why is this?

i have a virgin gsr mated to a usdm itr trans and i think a nice well tuned 75-100 shot would be fun, however not looking to destroy the thig either. my line of thought was either nice 100 shot on progressive or a nitrous/meth combo. i do also know longevity is all in tune. to me it is just another forced induction but why not more users?
There's a bunch of people w nitrous cars. Most just don't post bout basic setups like a 75-100 shot anymore. Pretty simple. Don't get all complicated with meth Injection n stuff. U dont need it at that level. Just go w a nice hondata s300 with a dry direct port setup n just get bigger injectors Go check the nitrous thread. ,,That motor will last a long long ,, time w a 75 shot. On a proper tune. . I would go upto 120 shot no prob with a direct port dry serup on a healthy gsr motor. With a proper dyno tune N it should still last along time
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
This thread is like asking why most people don't like to bang the fat chick aka fall on the grenade

It's just obvious lol
Obvious? There is nothing bad about nitrous on Honda motors. 99% blown motors are because people have no clue what there doing n it's not tuned proper. I had a Ls vtec stock block sprayed 135 shot for 2 years. Went 11.6@119,mph. N never blew it up. I eventually put the motor in a diff car. N boosted it n it still lasted. It's all about the tune. A nitrous Honda that can make instant tq is a blast to drive on the street. N will beat higher hp turbo cars easy on the street. ,,,, Anyone who needs. Real info on running nitrous.',,,Just pm me. I have alot of experience with nitrous,,, I even tuned a 386hp built nitrous gsr , With dual stage. Dry setup. ,, Or go post in the. Official nitrous thread. There plenty people who will tell u. How to safely use nitrous. Don't believe all the bs. Most the people telling u it's bad. Or ur gonna blow it up. Prob never even used nitrous. Or they did. And blew there motor. Cause they didn't know what they were doing.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also in Pa. No fine for nitrous. I been pulled over many times w my bottle bottle right where my passenger seat should be lol. N cops said there's no law about it being hooked up to the line either. That's. where I live. So check ur local laws. I even got pulled over once n I was usin nitrous on my b20-v. N cop didn't say ****. Just gave me a speeding ticket. ,, True story. That was when I found out it wasnt illegal here,,,. I asked him

Also check my utube channel jimmynitrous plenty of vids on there of mine an my boys nitrous cars. Dyno runs n track runs. Few street races. If u check it out the white hatch on dyno made 386whp w dual stage , tuned by me, made 300whp on the single stage n. it was 207whp n/a. Has piston rods. N my hatch is the gold brownish one
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I totally agree with you

The reference was that everyone is afraid to **** the fat chick lol. That and being seen with her in public and all, you know how that goes

Again like I previously stated, there's too much bad surrounding nitrous, at least in the import community. Mainly due to lack of good info and experience. You rarely here about someone having success with a big nitrous setup. All most people hear and see are the bad parts because someone didnt do their nitrous build properly.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to put in my two cents on this. I agree that the lack of information is why Honda owners don't use nitrous and the fact there have been a ton of horror stories. nitrous is just like a turbo charged car, not properly tuned it is only a matter of time before it goes boom. I personally have used nitrous lots of it.The only problems I have ever encountered was due to my error. Don't become scared there is plenty of information out there on how to use it. personally dry kits are not good. If you are going to put it in, put it in wet.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Now I'm curious what my build could make using a small wet direct port kit (only way to go imo to ensure equal cylinder distribution)

My car should make 450-500whp by 5000 and make close to 400 or a tad but more torque between 3-4000 and carry it across the rev range, especially with the extensive amount of water meth injection I'll be using (pre turbo and direct port at the intake manifold) I just have a sudden itch to wonder what a shot starting down low in the rpm range with a progressive controller could do for torque production (that's all I really care about is how much lowend/midrange torque I can make, since this is a DD as well as a mountain run/road course car.)

Now I'm curious lol
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk but I been using nitrous fir years so if u need information I got it. Check out richiewerks 5150 or jakespec racing. There both deep in the nitrous stuff to There is no lack of information. Idk what to tell u guys. Lol. There's plenty info on hondatech alone. In the nitrous thread. I also have experience spooling a 6765 turbo on my teg with nitrous too. ,,, You guys do realize. There are like hundreds of street racers that use nitrous right? If u guys really can't find info. I did alot with nitrous.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16lewis
I have to put in my two cents on this. I agree that the lack of information is why Honda owners don't use nitrous and the fact there have been a ton of horror stories. nitrous is just like a turbo charged car, not properly tuned it is only a matter of time before it goes boom. I personally have used nitrous lots of it.The only problems I have ever encountered was due to my error. Don't become scared there is plenty of information out there on how to use it. personally dry kits are not good. If you are going to put it in, put it in wet.
I agree with everything except the. Dry shot being no good. Lol On a Honda dry shot work very well, And then control fuel via the ecu. And injectors. And less chance for a back fire on big **** setups. From fuel in intake. As u said. Nitrous is no diff from turbo. Or all motor for that matter if not tuned correct. They all will fail. It's just a matter of when.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look @ jimenzracing, in TX.

He's on a huge nitrous shot on top of his built, Huge Turbo setup.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i would lime to thank all of you have had FIRST HAND input. i WILL deff read the nitrous thread and look into the control setup on page 1 someone posted.

as far as what i am looking for and my complete setup info.

01 gsr STOCK and will be left that way right down to the snail mani, compression test last week was 195-193 across the board , leak down less than 5% on any 1 cly and with in 3% across the board. I called a local sheriff buddy anout local laws and he said "tech" speaking it only has to be turned off. However they dont look to fine or write tickets unless they catch a street racer and looking to add charges. i am only after minimal top end gains as far how engine "pulls" to redline. i WOULD run stock rev limiter and cams. i do have proper exhaust setup. anyway thanks again for input
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
V8 guys love it and use it all the time with great success, so why cant Hondas?
V8 guys already have a good amount of power to start with. That being said they don't exactly need spray or any power adder to accelerate up to speed at a decent rate. Most of the Honda crowd relies on forced induction for good reason, even heavily built/expensive NA setups aren't making tons of power.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i only read the OP so idk what been said.. but a guy here has a bone stock GSR in a hatch with a 70 shot thats been tuned and he hurts some feelings with it on 22" slicks
Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a 75 wet shot on a stock b16 a couple years ago.. Went 12.20's for the better part of 8 months before the turbo kit went on. Engine is still alive today.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous is a different animal compared to superchargers or turbochargers where the power is more progressive. Even with a progressive controller for nitrous, it doesn't start with a 5 shot and gradually go up. A 50 shot instantly can make like 40whp and 60ft lbs more. The instant cylinder pressure is what is harder to tune and harsher on everything else. All that said people are scared away because of seeing wet systems with fuel pooling when the valve is closed. Notice Hondata recommends a dry shot with bigger injectors to compensate. I've highly considered toying with it due to not having to run it all the time. Have a race coming up that odds aren't in your favor? Cheater juice all the way. Costs for refills are much more expensive now days but when you figure a decent turbo, just the turbo is $1200... that's a lot of nitrous!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
A lot of "car people" (if they can even be claimed as that anymore) tend to have most of their knowledge stem from this.

Or at least from what I've seen. I managed to pick up a Zex dry kit for $25.00 minus the bottle. During the extents of installing, finding said bottle, wiring, and planning of using I got tons of criticism from my "car modifying friends" that purely didn't understand anything but a fast and furious education of nitrous. Most people don't understand how it works, or how it improves performance, or how it wears on the engine (if at all). Or at least that's what I've experienced.
I know this is old post. But people fear what they don't know. But I ran a direct port dry shot on pump gas on a type r. Before I had to do anything to the motor I sprayed it for 3 years. At least 40+races for money. And just driving around fishing beating cobras lightings more srt4 then I can count. Fast ones. A colbolt as that went 1220s. And a 2 door Mitsubishi something with a evo motor in it. That also went 1220s. Every car I ever raced I gave two cars. Everyone I was passing them by the time I was going into second.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimmynitro
I agree with everything except the. Dry shot being no good. Lol On a Honda dry shot work very well, And then control fuel via the ecu. And injectors. And less chance for a back fire on big **** setups. From fuel in intake. As u said. Nitrous is no diff from turbo. Or all motor for that matter if not tuned correct. They all will fail. It's just a matter of when.
I agree with you 100%. I have always used direct port dry adding fuel threw ecu. Them solenoids deff have not open for me before. So if you have a wet system and the fuel don't spray. Sucks for you. I have had the other way around happen to me. But the car just fell on its face and I let off.