Notices

nitrous why not more users?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous why not more users?

ok so last few yrs i have had an itch to spray a b series(mildly) but the more i read it seems like almost eveyone is scared to use it unless full out drag/ built race style motor. so simple question why is this?

i have a virgin gsr mated to a usdm itr trans and i think a nice well tuned 75-100 shot would be fun, however not looking to destroy the thig either. my line of thought was either nice 100 shot on progressive or a nitrous/meth combo. i do also know longevity is all in tune. to me it is just another forced induction but why not more users?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: nitrous why not more users?

Most states have laws against its use. You can have the bottle in the car but it's illegal to have it connected

Plus it has limits and to make any real power the motor needs to be purpose built for nitrous use, which is a lot of money invested for not a lot of return

Plus with big shots you have to tune the car for norma na driving then on the bottle, plus the bottle runs out and has to be refilled and not everyone has a local place to refill it. Also nitrous backfires are a constant looming threat.

And once you have the built motor, tune, complete nitrous kit you still have to keep paying for refills.

I myself just can't justify the trouble of nitrous. I like my turbo... the power is always there all across the rpm range and throttle load, not just under WOT conditions like nitrous. .. so yoi can't really have fun on public roads as well
Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i personally do not care bout the road law as 99% of time bottle would not be in the car (kids) and secondly i have several bottle refill places semi local.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well it's a pretty nasty ticket and fine from what I understand.

You're lucky to have a few refill places local. The closest one to me is Pro-Boat and that's almost 50miles one way. (I worked at a bike shop, customer had us put nitrous and a quick shifter on his zx14 (stupid stupid fast lol) and I had to get the bottles filled for him

Plus filling a 15lb tank isn't cheap, nitrous has gone up

And I'm glad to know you don't drive your kids around with nitrous in the car. Very responsible of you. I bet you're an awesome parent (no sarcasm, serious) plus you have to opportunity to get your kids involved with cars, it's a great way to keep them out of other bad kinds of trouble. So I applaud you for that
Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't relish the thought of having to refill bottles all the time.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's because nitrous isn't as friendly as most people think. You have to constantly battle with bottle pressure. Pressure affects flow of the gas, so if you have a way of keeping that steady (IE: heat or progressive type controller) then it upps your chances of keeping the car alive.

IMO it's got a small margin for error, which is what you want to avoid at all costs. Especially if it's a DD. Bigger window of tunability = better chances of reliability.

Getting a bottle filled is the least of your potential issues....
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 AM
The Grumpiest

True. When I researched this option I thought it was just too delicate and too unforgiving a route to take. Plus I don't relish the thought of refilling a bottle all the time.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of "car people" (if they can even be claimed as that anymore) tend to have most of their knowledge stem from this.

Or at least from what I've seen. I managed to pick up a Zex dry kit for $25.00 minus the bottle. During the extents of installing, finding said bottle, wiring, and planning of using I got tons of criticism from my "car modifying friends" that purely didn't understand anything but a fast and furious education of nitrous. Most people don't understand how it works, or how it improves performance, or how it wears on the engine (if at all). Or at least that's what I've experienced.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Well it's a pretty nasty ticket and fine from what I understand.

You're lucky to have a few refill places local. The closest one to me is Pro-Boat and that's almost 50miles one way. (I worked at a bike shop, customer had us put nitrous and a quick shifter on his zx14 (stupid stupid fast lol) and I had to get the bottles filled for him

Plus filling a 15lb tank isn't cheap, nitrous has gone up

And I'm glad to know you don't drive your kids around with nitrous in the car. Very responsible of you. I bet you're an awesome parent (no sarcasm, serious) plus you have to opportunity to get your kids involved with cars, it's a great way to keep them out of other bad kinds of trouble. So I applaud you for that
thank you for applause i am no like 90% of the **** tard on here (dont anyone take personally or get butt hurt) but i am a family man first and car guy second. i have 11yr old som and 2 yr old and they ARE only priority. i dont feel i NEED to rack up $50k on a civic to be "cool" i buy/afford what i can and when i can but at same time i dont buy junk. so thank you again.

on to side note thouh if i can find a way to keep stable flow(pressure) on a dd would it be "more" safe for reliablity stand point? i persoanlly feel a progressive 75 shot would be safest route for longevity. i also have multiple "tunable" ecu's so having 1 ecu for dd and one for nitrous is fine with me since i would have to install bottle when i want to play anyway.

also any other friendly tips if i choose to try it? direct port/wet/dry so on? run meth with
progeressive (if possible)?

should also be noted i am NOT going spray on the bottom end of rpm range to save shock load on engine bearings. i fig activate near 4.5rpm's
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
thank you for applause i am no like 90% of the **** tard on here (dont anyone take personally or get butt hurt) but i am a family man first and car guy second. i have 11yr old som and 2 yr old and they ARE only priority. i dont feel i NEED to rack up $50k on a civic to be "cool" i buy/afford what i can and when i can but at same time i dont buy junk. so thank you again.

on to side note thouh if i can find a way to keep stable flow(pressure) on a dd would it be "more" safe for reliablity stand point? i persoanlly feel a progressive 75 shot would be safest route for longevity. i also have multiple "tunable" ecu's so having 1 ecu for dd and one for nitrous is fine with me since i would have to install bottle when i want to play anyway.

also any other friendly tips if i choose to try it? direct port/wet/dry so on? run meth with progeressive (if possible)?
A lot of people tend to run dry systems on their daily Honda's. That's what I planning on running. The only difference is fuel pre-intake with a wet system and dry alters the FPR to increase fuel flow. Dry systems usually come with a "smart box" or "brain" that controls the FPR based off of the amount of nitrous pressure coming from the bottle. The engine obviously doesn't need the FPR to be keeping full fuel pressure at the rail with a half full bottle. Dry systems are also very easy to install, wiring, a single nitrous line, bottle, and two vacuum lines. You can also install a purge system to increase the amount of power quicker.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Man U FTW

To me, nitrous is like leasing power...every time you want to have fun, you pay for it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ but see to ME that is the big advantage. i LOVE to drive fast (ALONE) and fig if i went turdbo i would speed MORE and would in long run have more wear and tear on engine. YES i know turdbo's are safe and good if tuned right, BUT for me if i dont have a bottle in car the. i cant be "boosting" **** out of the car. i really only have 4-5 days a month (VERY FEW hrs at that) without having my kid/s in the car.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 AM
The Grumpiest

You could always unhook a coupler.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ haha tru, but were is the fun in that? but it is a valid point. i guess i will nust have to fig out what i REALLY want over what i should do.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

V8 guys love it and use it all the time with great success, so why cant Hondas?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ that 100% why i made this thread (sort of). what is SO diff with a 4cly honda motor? open deck, less overall displacement, if it ALL works the same one would fig less CI/CC then just dial back amount of nitrous.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your motor built? IE sleeved, pistons and rods?

If not, then I wouldn't even bother with it.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
Is your motor built? IE sleeved, pistons and rods?

If not, then I wouldn't even bother with it.

did you bother to read OP?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Respect the gas is all, I safely ran a dry 65 on all stock fuel system B16 and it confused people bad but the clutch wasnt happy....then i realized i spent $400 on nitrous refils and called it quits
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that 100 shot will blow the wields on your intake and your floor pan will fly off.
Really though most people go boost instead of spray because boost is much more cost effective. To do spray correctly it will cost you as much as a decent starter turbo kit, yes there is more to No3 than just the bottle and basic wet or dry kit. To do it right on a Honda the best way IMO is to get a good dry kit, 255lph fuel pump, larger injectors, bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, Hondata S300 or similar tuning setup, basic bolt ons like IHE I am sure I am missing something but that is the basics. Then have the ECU tuned for all motor and then maps tuned for the spray. If done right it can be just as safe as a turbo and can be fully controlled by the ECU. Now that you are feeding your motor by the bottle you have to refill that bottle every time it runs out and that gets pricey fast. A turbo never needs to be refilled.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
did you bother to read OP?
Rhetorical question.... always tough to pickup on via the interwebs
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

This thread is like asking why most people don't like to bang the fat chick aka fall on the grenade

It's just obvious lol
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I am Jack's...

Nitrous doesn't kill motors, #$&@# that don't learn how to use it correctly do. Nitrous is oxygen (once released), and all combustion processes enjoy the extra ammount; with the added fuel of course.
Your stock motor is a detuned race motor that Honda researched years to build; not some junk by the way 2 valve, poor you name it's gota be improved bucket of bolts. You can easily apply, the correct way,a 100hp shot to that motor without issues. Correctly is progressively. Learn about Pulsoids and progressive controllers. Pulsoids will NEVER, EVER, EVER fail no matter how long you use them. 30 years now and 0 Failures. No crapy US solenoid can ever claim that.
Wet or dry, nearly the same cost at the 100hp level.
Water/meth injection is a proven, reliable, practical, affordable, and essential component to a 100hp+ system for extreme protection by controling in cylinder temps instantly.
These systems, nitrous and water/meth require constant attention so, if you aren't the type to love over the system, forget it.
Check out "Who Is Running The Really Big Nitrous Set Up" for some in depth perspective on any nitrous system.
Read between the lines:
__________________________________________________ _________

NITROUS IS AWESOME
__________________________________________________ _________
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to jump in a bit..

Things may sway because i'm a tuner, but.. anywho.

I love nitrous.. I've been a huge NA guy for along time, but also nitrous user.

On a lot of my NA car's, I've used nitrous on top. A few years back I had a Direct port Nitrous ITR, bone stock with cams, bolt ons. Car lasted for over 3 years. 75 shot, 100, 125, direct port shots. Wet, I tuned it, and i'll admit when using the nitrous, I always had the laptop with me lol.. I was constantly making adjustments for the better while on the Gas.

I feel like nitrous gets a bad name with the Honda guys because most people don't give any **** when using it, and then when something goes south, its always blamed on the nitrous.

Ring gaps, wall clearances, Tuning, reading plugs, there's a ton that goes into really doing nitrous tuning really well.

Right now, just to let you know, I have a NA b20vtec. 85x89 on stock sleeves, 12.5CR. I'll be putting a 75 shot on top of it because I run AMP and down here in the south, we're grouped with FIS or Comp class as cliff likes to call it.. With that said, I est my b20 will make 250-260whp on the motor and hopefully 300+ on the gas...

You gotta really take everything into consideration. These jerkoffs that are going buy these kits, and just slapping em on Stock d series with a 175 shot are the reason Honda guys are all scared of stuff.. because for years and years things were also done HALF ASSed.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

^very true. Nitrous has always had a stigma surrounding it because all you hear about are the failures. The blown motors, backfires etc (we've all seen the videos on youtube lol) and it seems like fast and the furious (the first one mainly) made it even worse

People like to think nitrous is "bolt on" when it really isn't. Now a 50 dry shot, sure you can bolt that on to most cars and run that small of a shot without issue, most of the time.

It's when you get into wet kits and big shots that people get into trouble, either because the think they know what they're doing and really don't or because something legitimately goes wrong because let's face it... **** happens

But mostly it's the first one. Someone thinks the wet shot does all the work because it adds the extra fuel not knowing timing plays a big part

It's just like people and ebay turbo kits

Quick Reply: nitrous why not more users?