Notices

Nitrous vs. turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous vs. turbo

i currently have a 99 civic dx..and i want more horsepower i know these are they two things to get a reasonable amount or power from and i was just wondering like which would be better in the long run and stuff...and help would be good thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (99hatchboy)

=[] let me jump on you before everyone else does..type search and search on a simmiliar topic b4 posting their are numerous posts on this -.- gl welcoem to ht
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (2slow2curious)

It doesnt matter, whatever you use your going to blow up your motor due to knowledge. So go with the nawzzzzzzzzzz because its cheaper. Why spend 3k just to blow the motor
Old 08-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just want some opinions..and which would last longer
Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nitrous is the cheapest easiest way to go, Turbo is nice because you can upgrade the kit as you go to produce more hp, they both can be unsafe on your motor if you dont know what you are doing so it really depends on your setup and how you do things on how safe it will be and how long it will last.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just want some opinions..and which would last longer</TD></TR></TABLE>

turbo cuz you at least have a chance of tuning it properly.

nawzzzz is easy, and you'll just end up slapping it on and running it till ur motor blows.
turbo takes some thinkin, so maybe while you're at it you'll put some of that thinking into fuel management, tuning, and reliability.

and you can always run SAFER boost levels.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (Tad)

I'd definitely go with the turbo because

1. running N2O could blow you engine

2. make sure you do a little tuning before you spray.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (civic rights leader)

Go with turbo. ..in my opinion...it is a lot cheaper in the long run. It may not seem like it, but wiht nitirous..your looking at about 500 for a kit, then refilling the bottle is 50 dollars each time. Over time, that really adds up. A greddy kit can be bought for about 1500, and a junkyard set-up would be even cheaper. Turbo may not always blow your motor if you have proper fuel managment and tuning. Stay away from nitrious if you dont know what your doing. Search and learn.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (xtremeazian)

id go with the turbo because at first it would cost more mula but in the long run "besides building the motor to run more boost cause you will want to" it would be a little more safe plus it sounds sweet to here the turbo spooling up but if you got nitrouse you would want to to do the same you will want to run a higher shot after awile but to to that without blowing your motor you would have to build a nitrous motor but the bad thing about the nitrous is you got to keep refilling up and you have to carry around the bottle all the time unless you take it out and if you take it out no nitrous and it cost a lil bit of money to refill the bottle unless you got connections so your better off with going with the turbo plus with the bottle if you get pulled over youll get introuble with the turbo you wont
Old 08-31-2004, 04:59 AM

Take into consideration that a turbo will boost you everytime you drive. Vs. nitrious where you'd have to refill it and get one or two shots out of it. Plus, you don't want to be hittin your NOS in 1st or 2nd gear, so your looking at maybe 2 gears of 'power' vs. five.

I just installed the Edelbrock Turbo on my D16Y8 and it's phat. Would trade for NOS to save my life. Can't beat the sound of a BOV everytime you let of the throttle either!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:53 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (SE7EN3S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SE7EN3S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take into consideration that a turbo will boost you everytime you drive. Vs. nitrious where you'd have to refill it and get one or two shots out of it. Plus, you don't want to be hittin your NOS in 1st or 2nd gear, so your looking at maybe 2 gears of 'power' vs. five. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is exactly the reason why nitrous when installed properly is easier on your engine...because it's only on when you NEED it. An engine doesn't know the difference internally between FI or nitrous because they all do EXACTLY the same thing. They all add more air to the combustion process which allows more fuel to be burned and that's where the extra power comes from. None of these things put any more stress on an engine relatively speaking, when engaged, than any other. The difference is that a boosted motor is under the "stress" of boost most of the time, even if it's not full boost as any boost is more than a N/A motor will ever see. With Nitrous, your engine is essentially an N/A motor most of the time so the "stress" it sees from nitrous use is very minimal vs an FI setup.

To say that you're more likely to destroy your engine with nitrous than a turbo is hilarious! If knowledge is something you lack, you're gonna have problems no matter what you choose to do but the more technically sophisticated something is the more likely you're going to have trouble.

Nitrous isn't "all used up" in 1 or 2 shots either... I can get at least 10 passes or more out of my 10lb bottle at the track which is often a full day of racing for me. On the street it's not uncommon to get a month out of the bottle before refilling. I also have used nitrous in every gear including 1st so to say you can only use it in 2 gears vs 5 is totally wrong.

My post isn't trying to say which is better (boost vs nitrous) since I believe in them all depending on what a person is looking for out of their car. All I'm trying to do is give you some proper info and dismiss all the common misconceptions people have about nitrous out there.

To answer the original post, I would suggest that you read up on as much info as you can about forced induction and nitrous so you can make an educated decision about what's best for you. As a personal recomendation I would suggest a small nitrous kit for your car, set it at 50 hp max and leave it. You should have decent power and reasonable reliability out of that setup with minimal cost. If you want more power later, you're going to have to do some internal work on that D series to get reliability and you can easily sell a nitrous kit if you choose to go another route.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (00Red_SiR)

go turbo...

nitrous on engine's not built for it are for pussies.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 AM

the dude that said u will blow up is an ***, sounds like form his past experiences he cant tune his car properly, i have got a turbo 98 civic type r, got 350whp from it with stock internals, with proper tuning u can make ur engine last and have a quick ride, i would take turbo over nos
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 AM

This site has already answered any question you will ask anytime soon. If you don't want to get flamed on every post, search for threads on your topic. If you are unclear after searching, post a thread, along with links to what you don't understand. You will get much better results. As for the topic at hand, I personally chose Turbo. I spent about 15 months learning everything I could about every part of a turbo and buying the best parts I could afford. I like turbo a lot more than the spray. It's no fun if for some reason you can't get your bottle filled, or you cant get your tank pressure high enough, or you run out of juice right before a good match up. Turbo is always there when you need it.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

A turbo on a y7?

I imagine that it will still be pretty slow.

Upgrade the head to a y8 along with the tranny. Then bring on the boost.
That's just the way I'd go. I'm not trying bash your car or anything. I have the same one. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (Smith Wise)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smith Wise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A turbo on a y7?

I imagine that it will still be pretty slow.

Upgrade the head to a y8 along with the tranny. Then bring on the boost.
That's just the way I'd go. I'm not trying bash your car or anything. I have the same one. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the difference in the y7 and y8 tranny's are ridiculous.

ANY y7 bottom should have a y8 tranny, that's the best thing you can do for your car, along with the y8 intake mani.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (vsm98civic)

Do what i did and get both
easy answer
Old 08-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LeesB)

yeah i got a y8 head just not installed yet...
Old 08-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of nitrous misinformation here. Blow your motor, ha. I have been running nitrous for 3 years with no problems and its a dry kit. Comp tested the motor and its running strong. But turbo definetly has more potential, thats why I am going that route now.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (97hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lots of nitrous misinformation here. Blow your motor, ha. I have been running nitrous for 3 years with no problems and its a dry kit. Comp tested the motor and its running strong. But turbo definetly has more potential, thats why I am going that route now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i second that there is allot of nitrous misinfo out there such as &lt;n20 will blow up your motor&gt;nitrous is a verry good power adder if used properly, most of the time its not used properly like using a 1oo shot dry with no fuel and no timing retard, thats an equation for trouble and thats where you will get ito trouble, if setup right nitrous will last a long time.

as far as your set if your looking for a street car that does mostly stoplight to stoplight running not much top end running a n20 motor will be faster if its a full 1/4 mile car making 100+ mph runs that a turbo will be faster then.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (97hb)

well nos goes more like
SSSt SSSt

and turbo is like
Vrooooom Chhhhhhhh

that help you out?

Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (2slow2curious)

nitrous will be cheaper initally but the costs of refills will creep u up to the point where turbo would be cheaper..Plus wouldn't you want a permanent shot of nitrous
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Nitrous vs. turbo (SiKid86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiKid86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nitrous will be cheaper initally but the costs of refills will creep u up to the point where turbo would be cheaper..Plus wouldn't you want a permanent shot of nitrous </TD></TR></TABLE>

It takes quite a few refills to equal the total cost of a turbo kit and the tuning involved. For the guy that started this post N2o is probably the best way for him to go for now since it's not expensive to get started, it's not technically sophisticated as he already said he wasn't knowledgeable, and it will give him a quick, easy and safe power boost untill he gains more knowledge and experience and can get into a turbo kit at a later time when it makes sense for him.