Notices

need opinons on my turbo set up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinons on my turbo set up??

ok guys i have a b16a2 in my 96 ek. plan on running boost in spring. going to run stock internals in bottom end. but iam going to pull head and replace the valves and seals and a fresh head gasket. and have machined of course. looking for oppinons on the set up iam thinking of going with. honestly this is my 1st set up and i choose everything on research and others opinons. let me know what you honestly think!
arp head studs
neukin ram horn
tial mv-s v band wastegate
autometer wide band
crower stainless valves, retainers and clips
possibly crower sage 2 turbo cams
walbro 255
edelbrock intake manifold
real good ram horn or top mount turbo manifold
turbonetics t3/t043 60 trim /.63
injector dynamics 1000cc tuned down untill fuly built.edlebrock or aem fuel rail
apexi ws2 cat back
2.5" down pipe
hoping to safley fun 8-10psi reliabley with a good tune for this summer.
the car will be geting a fully built bottom end overnext winter. if i left anything out just let me know i am looking for honest opinons this car needs to be a daily driver. hoping 240-260HP thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by r1paniccia; 10-04-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need opinons on my turbo set up??

You dont need cams for 260 Whp in a B16. If you're gonna shoot for more after the bottom end is built then thats a different story.

BUTTTT... with a turbo car and and plans of building your block... Id look into 3" downpipe, ID 1000 injectors and the new walbro 400lph pump... Just saying.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are planning on doing a fully built bottom end next winter, I would go with larger injectors and probably a 340lph pump. It will give you room to grow with out having to buy new stuff again later. Thats just my .02
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

overkill for such a small power goal.

and shooting for HP numbers leaves out what torque your wanting.

240hp will put your torque somewhere around 175-200.

you dont need the fuel rail either. Pick a reasonable power goal and your tuner will decide what safe PSI you can run to reach it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lowwryyy
You dont need cams for 260 Whp in a B16. If you're gonna shoot for more after the bottom end is built then thats a different story.

BUTTTT... with a turbo car and and plans of building your block... Id look into 3" downpipe, ID 1000 injectors and the new walbro 400lph pump... Just saying.
ok so then 3" down pipe it is. whats a good high quality 3" exhasut? i dont think any of the apexi's are 3" but i could very well be wrong
Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why go with injector dynamics over rc injectors? just asking bc i honestly dont know. is it a better brand? also arent there a type of injectors i can buy so i do not have to run a resitor box???
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How loud do you want it? Those $140 3" turbo exhausts on ebay are a no brainer. I've used 2. Hacked up the first one to make it how I wanted, left the 2nd alone. Good fitament.

Or custom build it from kteller kit.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
How loud do you want it? Those $140 3" turbo exhausts on ebay are a no brainer. I've used 2. Hacked up the first one to make it how I wanted, left the 2nd alone. Good fitament.

Or custom build it from kteller kit.
i was really not trying to use anyhting ebay on this build lol heard alot of horror stories
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by r1paniccia
i was really not trying to use anyhting ebay on this build lol heard alot of horror stories
Stick with this thought process. You pretty much have Thermal (http://www.thermalrd.com/about.htm). You also have custom, which is more likely your option. But to help you along in case you want the thermal, here are the part numbers
90-93 INTEGRA 3 DR. all mdls B138-C138
94-02 INTEGRA 3 DR. all mdls B130-C130
94-02 INTEGRA 4 DR. all mdls B131-C131
92-00 CIVIC 2 DR. & 4DR. all mdls B131-C131
88-91 CIVIC 3 DR. all mdls B134-C134
92-96 CIVIC 3 DR. all mdls B133-C133
88-91 CRX all mdls B137-C134

Otherwise, you can use KTeller with Burns Stainless, or get a 3" muffler from Apex'i (They make both 3" N1 and World Sport 2) and make your own.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the skunk2 mega power catback. i beleave thats 3"
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Trial User

The way I built my head was with type r cams stock polished gsr valve and a 5° valve job, walbro fuel pump, 1100cc injectors, stock gsr fuel rail, stock intake manifold, and stock distributor. Im safely making 432hp at 16lbs thats with eagle h beam rods and cp pistons though. But with the top end setup I have I would imagine you could make right at 300 maybe 315 at 10 psi. You might as well throw in some fresh piston while you have the head apart.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious how you went this route:

8-10psi
b16a2
240hp-260 hp

I think you need to do a little more research, and I mean no disrespect. There are by far better turbo companies and better turbo's to be matched to that motor. It is hard to tell based upon motor, turbo and PSI to derive at a HP figure. I would really look at a ball bearing turbo if you can afford it and review those numbers, 60 trim /.63. I would upgrade the injectors, and fuel pump as well as start to look at some type of engine management like Neptune or some other external device. Depending on how much you want to spend and what your after talk to the tuner you will use. I know a few in my area who have done some many honda's they know pretty much the results. This is my second honda that is boosted and while I learned a lot from my last EK, you know where to draw the line unless you have the time to keep after it, or you have the money to pay someone else to. Not so sure why everyone is fixated on the exhaust size more then his options he chose for that motor.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phat00civic

8-10psi
b16a2
240hp-260 hp

I think you need to do a little more research, and I mean no disrespect. There are by far better turbo companies and better turbo's to be matched to that motor. It is hard to tell based upon motor, turbo and PSI to derive at a HP figure. I would really look at a ball bearing turbo if you can afford it and review those numbers, 60 trim /.63. I would upgrade the injectors, and fuel pump as well as start to look at some type of engine management like Neptune or some other external device. Depending on how much you want to spend and what your after talk to the tuner you will use. I know a few in my area who have done some many honda's they know pretty much the results. This is my second honda that is boosted and while I learned a lot from my last EK, you know where to draw the line unless you have the time to keep after it, or you have the money to pay someone else to. Not so sure why everyone is fixated on the exhaust size more then his options he chose for that motor.
i prefer turbonetics for my own reasons however this is not a budget build. plan on running 1000cc injector dynamics tuned back untill fully buily, also hondata s300 and walbro 255
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

8-10psi
b16a2
240hp-260 hp

i appreciate the feedback. what would you say is a better turbo for this? i would want something 400hp maybe + capable to keep me from having to buy a bigger turbo once my block is finished being built
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate the feedback. what would you say is a better turbo for this? i would want something 400hp maybe + capable to keep me from having to buy a bigger turbo once my block is finished being built
You can not just slap on a turbo for a HP figure you have down the road. Turbo's have a rating on how well they operate at specific conditions, air flow. If you are unable to flow that much air through the turbo then you wind up hurting the turbo. Pretend you stick a **** actress on a kid straw to suck up water, and now do the same on a larger straw. Get my drift? She will get tired faster on the smaller straw then on the larger one, well that depends on the **** actress...lol. In any event most guys start with one and then upgrade as they do motor work, or some just do it all at once. I would always recommend a Garrett ball bearing turbo over anything else. BB spins faster then a journal, although the max power is about the same just a faster spool. Lifetime out of the turbo has been said that a BB last longer but who knows, have not found any hard cold facts. I also like Greddy turbo's which are very reliable, again this is just my opinion. I am sure if you ask 10 guys on here everyone has their own choice.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i prefer turbonetics for my own reasons however this is not a budget build. plan on running 1000cc injector dynamics tuned back untill fully buily, also hondata s300 and walbro 255
Sorry just noticed this post as well. Tuning down 1,000cc injectors to what? Like a turbo these have a flow / duty cycle. While it is better to go bigger, sometimes it is not a great idea. Too small would also be a bad idea if not worse. You might have to find a happy medium to all your parts you plan on putting in as you upgrade.

My friend was in your shoes and he had a D16 in his civic, bought another D16 off ebay and then replaced it part by part and rebuilt it from scratch. While a D series block is by far cheaper then a B series, its another idea you could do. Also look at getting a larger fuel pump. 255 is on the small side.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok iam ready to order my turbo today, just have a few last questions here are my goals again

this spring approx-250hp
next spring 400 on fully built block.
i want to use the same turbo when the block is built i do not want to have to buy another one!

i decided turbonetics bc of there warranty ,they seem to have a good rep, good cust service, parts are easily available threw them

talked to turbonetics yesterday and they recomend i use a t3/t40E 50 trim .63 A/R what do you guys think?? sound right for a ending goal of 400hp? will the .63 A/R give me a decent spool? and the last question is should i order it in a 4 or 5 bolt down pipe flange????whats the pros and cons? thanks for all of your help guys
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can not say personally if you will hit your goal based upon a turbo I need more information then that. Personally I have a 5 bolt but most use 4 bolt.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, it will spool late the way you have it now..

later, with the right compression, should kick in rather nicely once the block is built
Old 10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can not say personally if you will hit your goal based upon a turbo I need more information then that. Personally I have a 5 bolt but most use 4 bolt.
what more do you need to know? i posted my set up at top of page
Old 10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
well, it will spool late the way you have it now..

later, with the right compression, should kick in rather nicely once the block is built
when you say spool late, how late is late lol is it going to be a dog?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arp head studs
neukin ram horn
tial mv-s v band wastegate
autometer wide band
crower stainless valves, retainers and clips (waste.. oem are good to 600+)
possibly crower sage 2 turbo cams (waste Oem good to 600+again)
walbro 255 (might as well get the 400 its only 40 bucks more)
edelbrock intake manifold (OEM or Type R will work fine)
turbonetics t3/t043 60 trim /.63 (Precision SC61 or entry level turbos)
injector dynamics 1000cc tuned down untill fuly built.
edlebrock or aem fuel rail (OEM is good to 500 hp)
2.5" down pipe (depends on what size the exhaust wheel is)
Just go for 300 whp it will put a smile on your face and the block will handle it just fine. As for exhaust thermal makes good stuff and I have had an ebay exhaust on my civic for almost 2 years and it still looks new. Most times you just have to have a shop correct some of the angles. 1000cc injectors are good from like 200 hp to 700 hp so you will be fine there. Precision has a 39mm wastegate that helps with boost creep and are pretty good. Alot of things for your goals are fine at an OEM level. It will give you money to save for your rods and pistons, pretty much leave it as oem as possible till you get to much higher HP levels.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what more do you need to know? i posted my set up at top of page
I said that because you have no motor work done and that motor stock can only handle so much. For instance ARP bolts is not an engine mod in itself. I would shoot for 300 and call it a day. Any more I would start looking to rebuilding that motor. Search on here for those running boost on that motor and you will see what most run for dd's. Then search for those running 400 and look and see what they have done. The work has been done for 11 years now, you just have to search and find a setup you want to achieve. Most of the time people will even say how much they spent on parts. If you have a question on a part or why something is not working we can help you more specifically with that then how much HP will you achieve with this setup. No offense to you but I think you need to research this a bit more or ask more granular questions in regards to your build. Your on a good track just keep it going. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

what about the skunk2 mega power catback. i beleave thats 3"
That's the Megapower RR. That too, is a possibility.