Notices

Need help putting together an SOHC build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help putting together an SOHC build.

Ok the debate between boosting a B16 or building a D16 is over.

My current funds are about close to 3g's which is what I was going to use for the swap. For 3g's I want to be able to have a built block in my

I have a 95 ex coupe, it has 150k miles.
My goals are about 250 maybe more if that's realistic. I don't plan on running a nasty precision turbo. I'm hoping a nice t3 will be able to push me there. I live in south florida so A/C is a must . I'm gonna be running hondata for management.

I'm under the impression that 250+ is ok without sleeves. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

What piston/rod combination should I be looking to use? I just read about some guy's SRP's melting at the dyno so I want to be sure to get the right set.

ARP's are a must, is there anything else in specific I should change? I just got new fuel pump, water pump, timing belt and all that for my current car so they should still be ok for use.

My current block has 150k so I would probably go ahead and get a new head or have one rebuilt. I'm also hoping I can pick up a tranny for cheap somewhere along the line. My current one doesn't grind or anything, but why risk it?

I would probably leave it around 10-11 for daily driving and crank it up when someone wants to feel the wrath of the single cammer!!! (GS-T's and z28's are big near my home).

I want to do this right, but I need help getting this done properly .

Now that's where the problem is, the shop I had been hoping to use just informed me that they would no longer be doing rebuilds, strictly swaps and such. Maybe there's someone in the South Florida, more specifically Miami, area that does work or could refer me to a capable shop? I would be willing to drive up to Orlando or Tampa, maybe even in Tally if the price was right. I have friends that stay in all 3 so arranging pick-ups and just meet in general would be more than possible.

Ever since I learned to drive my friend's GS-T I've been sure about two things.
1) I had to have boost.
2) My car had to be faster than his!!

Please help steer me in the right direction. This is a lot of money that I want to invest into this and maybe someone's willing to get me some good prices for buying and doing everything through a person or two. Maybe that's not even that much money, but it's been well over a year's savings for me. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (chezicrator)

Wow there's nobody in florida? No SOHC love?

This blows...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:23 AM

Im not in florida but I can help.. Take a look into the Suzuki vitara pistons.. They can hold alot of power and are like $125 shipped for a set of them with wristpins.. This is what im going to use and im also going to go with ls integra rods since with a little bit of machine work you can make the ls rod work in the D16 motor..
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 AM

I would ask the guys at this forum. They have help me a ton and do know there build ups when it comes to the D'

http://www.sohchonda.com/home.shtml
Old 08-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (RA166E)

sohchonda is very informative
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (SOHC_MShue)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=899923

eagle rods and wiesco pistons. get them along with arp headstuds and you will be able to handle 300 whp if tuned. this is what i was going to buy for my d16 but i had some other **** happen instead. just have your head hot tanked and get new valveseals. i also hear good things about the zex 59300 and boost . you will need a clutch. i would go with the act xtss, which can hold like 270 ft/lbs torque and is still an organic disk so it wont engage too hard and tear apart your tranny.
if you want a t3, gotta make it a super 60 to get you to 250+ whp efficiently. you might have to get slimline fans to help with clearance, depending on what kind of manifold you get. you will also more then likely run into clearance issues with the downpipe and the ac compressor, so you might not be able to go bigger then like 2.25 inch downpipe. perhaps a new fuel filter would be in order...hope this was of some help
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (blackeg)

I had a nice talk with RyanCivic2000 so now I pretty much know the items that I want to get.

CP 9:1 .20 overbore pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP head studs
ACL bearing

Am I missing anything?

The biggest problem is still someone that could assemble it. The shops I've called want way too much. One shop told me 2k for the assembly itself.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check my sig...
cant type a lot i am at work

or u can get a hold of me soon on aim and ill help ya out all u want..

i have a built D16Z6
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well since u have 3k to spend on the build alone, you might as well sleeve it just for some extra insurance. for head work i'd check out exospeed.com they seem to have quite a bit of stuff for sohc.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (flip1199)

I might be interested in that crank you have.

I have 3k, but that can't just be spent on the block alone. I have to set up the block, pick up a cheap tranny (maybe keep my current one i really don't know), get a crank fixed up, pick up a new head, and then get the sucker dropped in.

I figure with the things I plan to do 3k should be just about enough (I can go a little over I suppose if I'm doing everything right). The part that's gonna kill me is the labor work.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help putting together an SOHC build. (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i also hear good things about the zex 59300 and boost . you will </TD></TR></TABLE>

So does that cam and turbo make a good match?

I was thinking about that cam for my z6-t, but heard a few bad things...