Notices

Need help on my turbo sohc setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 02:30 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my turbo sohc setup

Whats up,Im new so go easy on my,anyways my setup as of right now consists of sohc vtec motor,greddy 15g turbo,small trust fmic,3 angle valve job and a mild port and polish,jg cams,apex-i bov,as of right now im boosting 7lbs with what i have,no problems so far,anyways I want to up my boost,im thinking 10-12 daily and 15 drag,for 10-12 i was thinking about doing a greddy 2mm head gasket,nuformz block guard,arp head studs and a upgraded fuel system,will this be enough to support 10-12 psi,also what am i looking at whp at 10-12 psi,for 15 i was thinking about same setup but hondata and some pistons and rods,i think that could take me to 15,few more questions,say i want to boost more does the 18 g turbo bolt right up to the sohc manifold,im thinking no,also what other manifolds can i look into that could maybe support both,hks?is it worth getting a tial wastegate?thats about it for me now,i only want really 225-250 whp along with 13's with the sohc kit,thxs for all your help
Old 09-27-2001, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help on my turbo sohc setup (HiFi Civic)

It'll last you for a little while at 12+psi w/ the GReddy gasket, but your cylinder wall sleeves will eventually fail. I know of 2 guys who've had the same problem in their D16's when boosted to 12psi or so. Lasted a pretty good while, but eventually the sleeves just totally warped and eventually shattered. It wasn't so much the strength of the sleeves so much, it was something to do with "cylinder wall flexing" or something like that. Basically, close decking the block was the route taken by both guys to prevent the tops of the sleeves from flexing, and to my knowledge both are running in the area of 15psi or so with no problems. BTW what's your fuel setup now?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:56 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help on my turbo sohc setup (VTC_CiViC)

my fuel set is gsr injectors,and a walbro fuel pump,thats about it,i dont know what to do,as of right now i cant afford the hondata stage2 and boost upgrade but i know in the future i want to run this with 15 lbs,so i think i might just save up for a while instead of blowing money on vacf or whatever,damn so even with the head gasket the motor couldnt handle 12 psi very long?**** oh well,so you think im gonna need to get my block resleeved in order to handle 15 psi,also the 2 guys you mentioned what mods did they have,tuned?I heard you could run some crazy amounts of boost on a really tuned motor,maybe i will just get the hondata stage2 + the boost upgrade,bigger injectors,head gasket and pray for 12psi,also at 12 psi what am i pushing to the wheels,is it true you lose 1 psi with a fmic or is that just the oversized fmic,what can I hang with at 10psi,type r?m3?thxs for all your help