Notices

Need advice on turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on turbo build

Hey guys. I'm a new member here, but I've visited the site many many times over the last few years. Never thought I needed a membership since I always found the answers I needed without having to ask, but now I need some advice.

I currently have a '96 EK with a B18C built for NA. 12:1, S2 top end, built bottom, 218whp. Love it, but it's getting tired, I want more power, and I don't want to spend the money to build a NA monster.

I know a little about turbos, enough to build a decent setup, but my question is this: If I build my next engine for turbo (it will be a B18C, sleeved, LS crank and rods, 84mm, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression) will it hurt anything to set it up for boost and run it in my car for a while until I can put together everything else I need? I know tolerances need to be a little looser when boosting, so that is my main concern. I know I'll have to get it re-tuned, which is no big deal. Also, is there really a big difference between NA and turbo cams? Because I would like to reuse most of my top end. My goal is around 350whp. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need advice on turbo build

Originally Posted by schmitty-1
Hey guys. I'm a new member here, but I've visited the site many many times over the last few years. Never thought I needed a membership since I always found the answers I needed without having to ask, but now I need some advice.

I currently have a '96 EK with a B18C built for NA. 12:1, S2 top end, built bottom, 218whp. Love it, but it's getting tired, I want more power, and I don't want to spend the money to build a NA monster.

I know a little about turbos, enough to build a decent setup, but my question is this: If I build my next engine for turbo (it will be a B18C, sleeved, LS crank and rods, 84mm, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression) will it hurt anything to set it up for boost and run it in my car for a while until I can put together everything else I need? I know tolerances need to be a little looser when boosting, so that is my main concern. I know I'll have to get it re-tuned, which is no big deal. Also, is there really a big difference between NA and turbo cams? Because I would like to reuse most of my top end. My goal is around 350whp. Thanks.

you can make 350whp SAFELY with stock sleeves you dont need a built block... you should just pull out those 12:1 pistons and put in low comp pistons and get a turbo kit... 350 is easy....

now if your saying just driving it without boost... i dont see why not as long as you dont drive it hard
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you will have no problem doing what you want schmitty. all motor cams are the way to go on a turbo setup they make great power. as long as its tuned properly you can run the 10:1 motor all day without a turbo. the springs/retainers will work fine for a moderate build, but if you plan on doing a big boost build you might need different ones depending on which ones you have. most all motor spec'd springs have a softer spring rate and FI ones heavier due to having 20+psi trying to unseat the the valves.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Trial User

I figured that since I'm building it from scratch I would add some displacement. I know displacement can be made up for with boost, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think a 2.0L would be a little more reliable than a 1.8L when making the same power. Will it make any difference in reliability boring the stock sleeves to 81.5mm? The block I have needs machine work done and boring would most likely be necessary.