Notices

n2o question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n2o question

how big of a shot can a stock b16 motor (si) safely use? and which is better, wet or dry shot?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n2o question (Nitrous151)

no shot is "safe" depends on how you set up your fuel system and what you do to control it. Just do a search.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: n2o question (sohcvtec1995)

id say 50 or 75 shot would be sufficent and relatively safe. I agree and disagree with sohcvtec1995 saying there is no safe shot. But you can run N20 very well with a good balance of fuel, and it wont harm the engine much. dry shot is safer than a wet shot, but a wet shot is more effecient. In my 95 coupe im running a 50 shot (dry) and it works great i love it. But the HP gain is your choice.

<U>N20 HP increase </U> <U>wear+saftey</U> <U>effectiveness</U>
35 shot= safer you wont notice much at all
50 shot= good you will notice it
75 shot= moderate to high you will notice real well
100shot += lots of wear, hold the **** on

also search.....
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: n2o question (SOHC50shot)

Why would you say that dry is safer than wet?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n2o question (Nitrous151)

I'm running a wet 60 on a z6 in my coupe. I spray at full throttle only, after 3500 rpm, 2 degree retard, and I've got an air/fuel meter so I don't spray it lean. No problems. Most people say dont exceed 50% of the rated HP of the motor. Stock internals were designed tougher than required, but not that tough. So a stock b16 (160 HP) should take a 80 shot (wet - its not good to go above a 50 dry because it really pushes stock injectors). Just don't get spray happy and do something stupid, thats how nitrous got the bad name. Its safe for a motor, as long as you use it wisely.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a topic to bring up in the forum labeled "forced induction" run a 100 shot and get some fuel management mods.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: n2o question (delScho)

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/faq.htm

N2O is just oxygen that is more dense, and the more air you fit into the cylinder the higher the combustion.

In a wet system, nitrous oxide and fuel is mixed and then delivered through a "fogger" which is in the intake tube. (so its basically ready to explode all it needs is to be ignited)

In the dry system the fuel and nitrous oxide are NOT mixed at the fogger. The N2O is injected into dry air (without fuel) upstream in the manifold and it is then mixed with fuel at the injectors.

The dry system is safter because of the point of mixture, instead of before the fogger its mixed at the injectors. since it isnt mixed with fuel then injected in the intake tube its not as dangerous because its not as explosive. Also the wet system can cause fuel to puddle in your intake system which could cause sever backfire conditions......

Boooom....

Modified by SOHC50shot at 12:51 AM 7/30/2004
Old 07-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dry shot is safer than a wet shot</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, no. A dry shot is very risky. In a dry shot your engine actually goes dangerously lean for a few milliseconds (at the very least, one full cycle) before the O2 sensor senses the condition, the ECU reads it, and then the injectors are trimmed to provide the needed fuel.

A single detonation event is still a bad thing.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: n2o question (beepy)

i was talking more along the lines of personal saftey not engine saftey..
Old 07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n2o question (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Uh, no. A dry shot is very risky. In a dry shot your engine actually goes dangerously lean for a few milliseconds (at the very least, one full cycle) before the O2 sensor senses the condition, the ECU reads it, and then the injectors are trimmed to provide the needed fuel.

A single detonation event is still a bad thing.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG. The stock o2 sensor does not adjust fuel for a dry shot and does not have the capability to do so. My ZEX dry kit for example, adds fuel by bleeding off nitrous to the fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC50shot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/faq.htm

N2O is just oxygen that is more dense, and the more air you fit into the cylinder the higher the combustion.

In a wet system, nitrous oxide and fuel is mixed and then delivered through a "fogger" which is in the intake tube. (so its basically ready to explode all it needs is to be ignited)

In the dry system the fuel and nitrous oxide are NOT mixed at the fogger. The N2O is injected into dry air (without fuel) upstream in the manifold and it is then mixed with fuel at the injectors.

The dry system is safter because of the point of mixture, instead of before the fogger its mixed at the injectors. since it isnt mixed with fuel then injected in the intake tube its not as dangerous because its not as explosive. Also the wet system can cause fuel to puddle in your intake system which could cause sever backfire conditions......

Boooom....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good SOHC50shot. You hit it right on the money.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: n2o question (RyanCivic2000)

Maybe that is how it works in Hondas. I'm sorry for assuming. That is how it works in the other engines I have experience with. In any case using nitrous to increase fuel pressure seems real imprecise.

The fuel puddling is only as issue if you are stupid and stick the foggers in your intake pipes. The foggers should be in your intake manifold runners and thus are no worse off than in carburated or TBI engines. Puddling will not occur in the runners, but it is likely to occur in the plenum of the intake manifold if you are injecting the nitrous prior to the throttle body.

BTW, fuel takes a lot of ignition energy to burn, and nitrous oxide requires a lot more to decompose. Neither have even a slight chance of spontaneously occuring in your intake manifold. You can actually put out a modest-sized fire with nitrous. That is not to say that people have not had engine fires before due to backfiring. But the event is unlikely and a result of poor placement of the foggers and bad valve timing.