Is my oil pressure normal?

 
Old 09-03-2018, 03:04 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
91integraLSVTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 950
Default Is my oil pressure normal?

Hey guys can you have a look at my oil pressure? is this normal or should i be worried? the oil pressure seems to drop in vtec but picks back up when out of it??
Its a rebuild b16 with acl race bearings and endyn ported itr oil pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWvj...ature=youtu.be
91integraLSVTEC is offline  
Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Holy **** how much boost are you running?

looks pretty normal there's a small dip but didn't dip much below 50 psi so Imo nothing to be worried about
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
Holy **** how much boost are you running?

looks pretty normal there's a small dip but didn't dip much below 50 psi so Imo nothing to be worried about
Agreed.. Pressure will dip a little in VTEC, nothing here I'd get in a fuss over either.
Txdragon is online now  
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 744
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

I’d prefer to see over 60psi but as others stated it’s not far off normal. I always like to have 10 psi per 1000rpms. I used to max around 100psi on my old engine I built. My b18c1 stays around 60 under throttle
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland.
Posts: 1,104
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Jesus lol. If that's a stock bottom end you better turn the boost down before you're picking up pieces off the road haha.
Aradin is offline  
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 494
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Keep in mind there is such a thing as too much oil pressure, and too much can do nearly as much damage as too little. What you need to be very sure about, especially in a boosted engine is oil flow (i.e. the volume of flow), something which is much harder to calibrate than simple pressure.
shipo is online now  
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Keep in mind there is such a thing as too much oil pressure, and too much can do nearly as much damage as too little. What you need to be very sure about, especially in a boosted engine is oil flow (i.e. the volume of flow), something which is much harder to calibrate than simple pressure.
So then how would one measure the volume of flow while not taking pressure into consideration?
Txdragon is online now  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Balor_Gr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 824
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

To my eyes its low.
Are you sure that gauge reads ok?
Balor_Gr is offline  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 494
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
So then how would one measure the volume of flow while not taking pressure into consideration?
Think about it this way, if tolerances are loose you could be running say 30 psi at 3,000 rpms but still pumping say twelve liters per minute, however, if you have very tight tolerances you might be running say 55 psi at 3,000 rpms, but only pumping eight liters per minute. Said another way, pressure and volume are, for the most part, independent of one-another.
shipo is online now  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Think about it this way, if tolerances are loose you could be running say 30 psi at 3,000 rpms but still pumping say twelve liters per minute, however, if you have very tight tolerances you might be running say 55 psi at 3,000 rpms, but only pumping eight liters per minute. Said another way, pressure and volume are, for the most part, independent of one-another.
What I'm saying is that you can't figure what volume you're flowing without considering pressure; which you said shouldn't be considered OVER volume.
Txdragon is online now  
Old 09-04-2018, 10:46 AM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Agreed this is why u get a good pump (usually oem) and note what's normal for your setup and use a gauge to monitor the pressure
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 494
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
Agreed this is why u get a good pump (usually oem) and note what's normal for your setup and use a gauge to monitor the pressure
Yup, get a good pump, note the pressures at certain operating metrics, log them and consider them normal. If things change over time, then you have a problem. Long story short, don't get hung up about pressure.
shipo is online now  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

holy **** on the boost hahah bye bye engine.
Cupajoe is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:55 AM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by Cupajoe View Post
holy **** on the boost hahah bye bye engine.
bah, c'mon now.. Boost gauge only goes to 20. Could be running 30psi. Hardly worth batting an eye. What impresses me is how fast it builds. Lol!
Txdragon is online now  
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 AM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Looks to be about 30 Depends on setup fuel used etc.....could be damn dangerous but hard to say without knowing other factors
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 AM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
91integraLSVTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 950
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I rarley post, but when I do it is because im unsure of something and that i could always rely on great memebers of H-T for help. Ive been losing sleep over this! Ive lost 2 engines already, 1 was from using a crappy tuner, cracked the sleeve from to much timing, second one melted piston ring lands ( please do not use nippon pistons for boost on 93 pump gas they are weaker than stock, however on e85 around 400whp they should hold) and finally this one is a CSS b16 with cp pistons 10.5 compression with scatt-er all over the floor rods with arp2000 rod bolts. It is tuned on 30 psi 93 pump gas. Ive read that these rods are good for 500whp so i dont plan on exceeding that.

So yesterday i did my first oil change on this setup. the break in oil i used and on video was castrol 5w-30. So i dropped the oil pan to check to see if there was any bearing material and sure enough i did see some! my magnetic oil drain plug had lots of metal filings on it. Is this normal to see so much metal shaving???
91integraLSVTEC is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:16 AM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Bearing material usually is not magnetic Some metal on freshly rebuilt engine on first oil change is normal. Why are you running such think oil.
Cupajoe is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
  #18  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,310
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by Cupajoe View Post
Bearing material usually is not magnetic Some metal on freshly rebuilt engine on first oil change is normal. Why are you running such think oil.
Not understanding how 5w-30 standard oil is "too thick".

TheShodan is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM
  #19  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

*such thin oil on a turbo car.
Cupajoe is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM
  #20  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

I wouldn't worry about shavings until after 500 miles unless it's excessive. Shavings are normal on fresh motors.

for oil I run 10w30 but if you live somewhere cold you may need something thinner.

what turbo u using 30 psi seems high there's more to worry about then the rods. Detonation usually is most stressful on sleeves and ringlands. Would be a lot safer on e85 then pump gas at that boost pressure
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:06 PM
  #21  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Balor_Gr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 824
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

I find it strange tou had problems with the nippon pistons.
Were they the nippon racing turbo pistons from uyunira(or something) ?l
Balor_Gr is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM
  #22  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 744
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by 91integraLSVTEC View Post
Hey guys can you have a look at my oil pressure? is this normal or should i be worried? the oil pressure seems to drop in vtec but picks back up when out of it??
Its a rebuild b16 with acl race bearings and endyn ported itr oil pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWvjJ0tji8I&feature=youtu.be
Look at the attached video, I just took this today as a reference for you. Everyone turn your heads from the wideband lol. I apparently have a lean spike right after vtec that I must attend to. This is a b18c1 with stock rods and some JE pistons. Also my speedometer is broke Incase someone looked at it for a reference
Attached Files
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 PM
  #23  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
91integraLSVTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 950
Default Re: Is my oil pressure normal?

Originally Posted by Cupajoe View Post
Bearing material usually is not magnetic Some metal on freshly rebuilt engine on first oil change is normal. Why are you running such think oil.
I was running 5w30 motor oil for break in. right now it has 10w40 castrol. its about ready for the 3rd oil change in which i will be using shell rotella t6

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
I wouldn't worry about shavings until after 500 miles unless it's excessive. Shavings are normal on fresh motors.

for oil I run 10w30 but if you live somewhere cold you may need something thinner.

what turbo u using 30 psi seems high there's more to worry about then the rods. Detonation usually is most stressful on sleeves and ringlands. Would be a lot safer on e85 then pump gas at that boost pressure
i agree the plan is to go to e85 but i want to break in the motor on pump 93 octane first on this ebay turbo. when i go e85 i'll be using a much bigger turbo. im about the drop the oil pan for the 3rd time. if i still see flakes im pulling the motor



Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
I find it strange tou had problems with the nippon pistons.
Were they the nippon racing turbo pistons from uyunira(or something) ?l
i was using b16 nippon pistons. maybe the turbo ls pistons are a bit stronger. i doubt it though.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post


Look at the attached video, I just took this today as a reference for you. Everyone turn your heads from the wideband lol. I apparently have a lean spike right after vtec that I must attend to. This is a b18c1 with stock rods and some JE pistons. Also my speedometer is broke Incase someone looked at it for a reference
thats pretty sick video


so when i dropped the oil pan a second time i shimmed the oil pump. i got a few bump in psi but i dunno. its ready for the 3rd oil change in which ill drop the oil pan again and if i see flakes im pulling the motor.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_3ycJUNeQ&feature=youtu.be


update 9/25

dropped the oil pan and no bearing material, there was bearing material the first time i dropped the oil pan thats the reason for this thread about oil pressure. also torn open the oil filter, nothing in it. just alot of metal filings in the magnetic drain plug, so all seems to be well. thanks everybody!!

Last edited by 91integraLSVTEC; 09-25-2018 at 01:29 PM.
91integraLSVTEC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: