Notices

my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu

everytime I go to this damn track something bad happens. the last time we were here everything bad u could possibly think of happened to iggys(quikb20's) car. We swore never to go back to this track again, well last night I went, with iggy and he brought his wierd karma with him too.

cliffnotes at the bottem.

I borrowed arts BFG drag radials and strapped em on before I raced. set tire pressure to 16psi, boost was at 12psi I was ready to go.

my first pass:
luanched the car at 4000rpm's and kinda eased it out of the hole. its been awhile since i dragged so i wanted to spend some time getting used to the tires and the track. well that didnt work. I try to leave the line softly and the car stalls. wtf, lights stay on but no fuel, similar to a boost cut. car comes back online and i try to go again but it stalls again. when it comes back online I floor it and end up running a 10.8 @ 79 stalling the car twice and flooring it from past 100ft.

my 2nd pass:
This time I was racing a turbo GSR civic so I wasnt babying the car just racing it. I guessed on my launch and ended up doing ok. hit a 2.095 60ft and I was killing the GSR turbo civic but then 3rd gear, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it wouldnt go in. I was expecting this to happen so I wasnt too pissed. my 3rd gear has been gone for awhile. our time slips looked like this.

me him
2.095 2.223
5.765 5.921

9.544 8.837
58.999mph 85.709mph

so looking at that time slip I probably would have ran at least 8.6 if i didnt miss 3rd. I have raced this GSR turbo civic on the highway before and I pulled him so I should have more mph then him too.

my 3rd pass:
this one I wanted to just baby the car down the track and not miss any gears. I ended up running an 8.9 @ 83 shifting slower then slow and loosing all my boost inbetween shifts. didnt get a time slip cause they are idiots at this track and couldnt find it.

every pass after that i just tried to get a good time. but then I ran into my original problem again with the car stalling. except now, when i luanched too high and got tire spin I would ease off the throttle to get traction and as soon as i got traction the car would stall. WTF I am getting pisssssssed, 3 passes in a row the car stalls. but it doesnt stall to where i have to turn it back on, it just stalls like no fuel and then comes back online on its own. its not a boost cut cause not even in boost.

to top it all off my last trip down the track when i was making my exit the car was hella hard to turn and I hear CLANK CLANK CLANK! at this point, my stomach went above my head and i felt sick. i stopped the car, got out, got back in and decided to drive it back to the pit area. all of a sudden no clanking the car drives fine. wierd!

first things first I need to get my drivetrain back together. im pushing too much torque for my clutch, my 3rd gear is gone, has been gone, and I need a new tranny. probably gonna invest in some axles too. i still have no idea what happened when the car was clanking, could be tranny, maybe an axle popped out and went back in i have no idea.

as for the car stalling. what could it be? could it be the hondata? or is the track just way too sticky? i only have one guess and that is that since my blue box is just sitting in the glove box maybe its getting knocked around and it lost connection. i have no idea but I am pretty pissed off right now and I need all the help I can get.

edit: CLIFF NOTES : my PROBLEM is that my car is stalling off the line, not bogging, but stalling. and it also stalls if i spin through first and ease off the throttle to get traction. the seconed the tires grip without much force behind them it stalls. never had this problem before. anyone else?

[Modified by DIRep972, 8:42 PM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Better than steak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (DIRep972)

Chris, the clancking noise heard may have been the cv boot. make sure they are ok and no grease is coming out. We can do the tranny if you want to take it out.

art
Old 10-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (Arturbo)

i gotta find a tranny first. I think im just gonna go with a stock GSR tranny w/ quaffe and get rid of the LS in there now.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Smarter than you

the tranny problems I am just bitching about. I really need to get to the bottem of this car stalling problem. please help tia.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shitty, sorry to hear you are having problems....

EDIT: i dont think its the blue box, cuz ive unplugged it before while the motor was running ( ) and it didnt do anything, just made me not be able to rev above like 3000 rpms or some ****

[Modified by Mase, 11:43 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everytime I go to this damn track something bad happens. the last time we were here everything bad u could possibly think of happened to iggys(quikb20's) car. We swore never to go back to this track again, well last night I went, with iggy and he brought his wierd karma with him too.

I borrowed arts BFG drag radials and strapped em on before I raced. set tire pressure to 16psi, boost was at 12psi I was ready to go.

my first pass:
luanched the car at 4000rpm's and kinda eased it out of the hole. its been awhile since i dragged so i wanted to spend some time getting used to the tires and the track. well that didnt work. I try to leave the line softly and the car stalls. wtf, lights stay on but no fuel, similar to a boost cut. car comes back online and i try to go again but it stalls again. when it comes back online I floor it and end up running a 10.8 @ 79 stalling the car twice and flooring it from past 100ft.

my 2nd pass:
This time I was racing a turbo GSR civic so I wasnt babying the car just racing it. I guessed on my launch and ended up doing ok. hit a 2.095 60ft and I was killing the GSR turbo civic but then 3rd gear, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it wouldnt go in. I was expecting this to happen so I wasnt too pissed. my 3rd gear has been gone for awhile. our time slips looked like this.

me him
2.095 2.223
5.765 5.921

9.544 8.837
58.999mph 85.709mph

so looking at that time slip I probably would have ran at least 8.6 if i didnt miss 3rd. I have raced this GSR turbo civic on the highway before and I pulled him so I should have more mph then him too.

my 3rd pass:
this one I wanted to just baby the car down the track and not miss any gears. I ended up running an 8.9 @ 83 shifting slower then slow and loosing all my boost inbetween shifts. didnt get a time slip cause they are idiots at this track and couldnt find it.

every pass after that i just tried to get a good time. but then I ran into my original problem again with the car stalling. except now, when i luanched too high and got tire spin I would ease off the throttle to get traction and as soon as i got traction the car would stall. WTF I am getting pisssssssed, 3 passes in a row the car stalls. but it doesnt stall to where i have to turn it back on, it just stalls like no fuel and then comes back online on its own. its not a boost cut cause not even in boost.

to top it all off my last trip down the track when i was making my exit the car was hella hard to turn and I hear CLANK CLANK CLANK! at this point, my stomach went above my head and i felt sick. i stopped the car, got out, got back in and decided to drive it back to the pit area. all of a sudden no clanking the car drives fine. wierd!

first things first I need to get my drivetrain back together. im pushing too much torque for my clutch, my 3rd gear is gone, has been gone, and I need a new tranny. probably gonna invest in some axles too. i still have no idea what happened when the car was clanking, could be tranny, maybe an axle popped out and went back in i have no idea.

as for the car stalling. what could it be? could it be the hondata? or is the track just way too sticky? i only have one guess and that is that since my blue box is just sitting in the glove box maybe its getting knocked around and it lost connection. i have no idea but I am pretty pissed off right now and I need all the help I can get.

[Modified by DIRep972, 6:02 PM 10/18/2002]
What gsr turbo hatch?It wasn't me.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (espanol)

it was this kid whose car was put together at jotech. he goes to unt. its a nice gsr turbo it has the tubular manifold that jotech was selling awhile back.

humm i think i made the post too long. ill make some cliffnotes.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh...I remeber him..he's cool..Anyways, like i said, "your car is bad ***.."i can't wait to get my car back...
Old 10-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chris weren't you goingto replace 3rd anyway? I thought you said something 2 weekends ago.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (FredoSP)

Chris weren't you goingto replace 3rd anyway? I thought you said something 2 weekends ago.
yeh i have been trying to decide what I want to do about my tranny because im buying a quaffe at the same time. if i get a LS quaffe i cant put it in the GSR so im just twiddling my thumbs right now trying to find a deal.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:30 PM
Smarter than you

so is the hondata causing my fuel to cut off?
Old 10-19-2002, 09:36 PM
New User

might want to secure the Hondata box. If you are over 3k rpm, and you unplug the box, it will stall. What I do now with every Hondata unit is silicone the connections. This keeps them from pulling out of the joint, which is really easy to do.

Tranny wise, forget the axles, get a diff first. LS/B16 diffs are really weak, and if they break they usually take the casing and clutch with it. Breaking an axle usually doesnt harm anything.

Best of luck Chris...
Old 10-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (VaporTrail)

might want to secure the Hondata box. If you are over 3k rpm, and you unplug the box, it will stall. What I do now with every Hondata unit is silicone the connections. This keeps them from pulling out of the joint, which is really easy to do.

Tranny wise, forget the axles, get a diff first. LS/B16 diffs are really weak, and if they break they usually take the casing and clutch with it. Breaking an axle usually doesnt harm anything.

Best of luck Chris...
\

thanks john. im definitly securing the hondata. that seems like it would be the most obvious problem. definitly getting the diff soon too, just gotta figure out what tranny i want before i buy the quaffe. 99% sure im going with GSR though. im not gonna get axles until these actually let go haha. well see

oh changing the timing belt this week too.

[Modified by DIRep972, 6:47 AM 10/20/2002]
Old 10-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Better than steak

Did you see me give you the evil grin when we talked about quaife today? hehe
Old 10-24-2002, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What track was this??? Denton, kenendale, raceway???
Old 10-24-2002, 03:06 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: my 1/8 mile track visit. deja-vu (97hb)

Denton.