Notices

MSD and VTEC???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD and VTEC???

As soon as i installed my turbo kit on my 94 gsr....the car has a rev limiter right at the vtec crossover. It feels exactly like hitting the limiter; the car just spudders. I think its just ignition problems cause im not getting a cel. I want to know if i should get the msd btm AND the 6AL.....or if the btm will also increase ignition spark besides retarding timing. Thanks guys.
-steroidguy-
Old 10-01-2003, 10:29 AM

bump
Old 10-01-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: MSD and VTEC??? (steroidguy)

How much boost are you running? Have you completely retarded your timing, is it stock, advanced? The BTM will allow you to retard your timing a certain number of degree's for each lb of boost you run on the motor. If its a Rev limit, is it Bouncing back down after cutting fuel, or is it just Stuttering and Predetonating(loud poping noise, like a halfassed backfire)? If its a rev limit, its an ECU issue, turbos don't impose random rev limits. It seems like your running into predetonation. This can happen at Vtec if your timing is not set for the boost your running becaues you get better airflow and the pressure can cause it to combust to early. Try retarding your Timing completely. Your car will loose low end power and may start/idle odd but it should solve the predtonation problem temporarily. If your motors not Built for boost, do this imediately just to be safe. A built motor can withstand predetonation, but most stock motors will eventually destroy themselves. Look into Hondata or the Uberdata software(its solid) to control your fuel and timing. It will be more effective to have it dyno tuned with one of these two(or another) to control your fuel and timing well. A BTM will work if you wanna run stock timing, and I have one I could sell you. It will do the job, but they are impresice in comparison. More of a stop-gap. This could slow my ability to sell it, but I'd rather you have good info, hehe. There are lots of other things that COULD be contributing, but thats what it sounds like without getting to see it first hand. Message me if you have questions or post here, i might check back.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: MSD and VTEC??? (Distorted)

Im running 8lbs of boost on a stock block/built head. My timing is stock and when the vtec should engage it studders.....not sure if its predonating or if its the rev limiter. It sounds like a bunch of muffled pops. If i disconnect the vtec solonoid i can take it to redline. How much you wanna sell the btm for....ive been looking around
Old 10-11-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: MSD and VTEC??? (steroidguy)

Mine does the exact same thing, Studders when vtec kicks in at 5000 rpm, if i change the vtec to 7000 rpm it doesn't happen. i have the msd 6 btm, but it is not installed in the car yet. Any solutions? thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: MSD and VTEC??? (B16Tcivic)

I believe i found the problem with studdering when vtec engages. It was actually running too rich, i set the vtec for 6000 rpm and it works fine, but anything lower then that it will fall on it's face from too much fuel. I haven't try to tune the fuel yet to set vtec lower, but thats future plans. Hope this helps.