Notices

Missing Link, car running WAY too rich HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Link, car running WAY too rich HELP!

I heard that the missing link is supposed to fix all the problems with the map sensor. I've got a y8 pushing 8 psi on a greddy kit, and lately its been idling funny, around 200-600, barely keeping on, and ts throwing thick black smoke so I know its running way too rich, plus it surges during normal driving (and my new plugs are black). Its also throwing the 3 code. I've had the car for about 3 months now and it just now started acting this bad, I knew it was running a little rich but it never had this problem. I swapped the map sensor out with another from my old teg which i knew was working, and it still runs like crap.

i heard that the missing link is supposed to fix this problem so i ordered it on ebay, but i was wondeirng if anybody's used this before, or knows another way to fix this problem? I'm wondering if its the wiring but it just started acting this bad lately. Of course the turbo was on the car when I bought it so its going to be hella hard to check the wiring. I dont even know whats supposed to run into what...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missing Link, car running WAY too rich HELP! (modifyORdie)

installing the ML will make your car worse - if the ECU can't see boost it can't compensate for it, and you'll be running lean.

if this has just started happening something may be wrong with your motor or something else in the setup. you may want to do a compression test to ensure your motor is still OK.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Missing Link, car running WAY too rich HELP! (notoriousB)

hmmm but everyone says that the map sensor problem is often cause by boost? i dont think theres anything wrong with the engine, it just keeps screaming map sensor at me
Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missing Link, car running WAY too rich HELP! (modifyORdie)

unless you're using an FMU blinding the ECU from boost is not going to help your situation.

what fuel management are you running? I'm assuming blue box or emanage since you said greddy kit.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch that FMU/Blue box/ MIssing link setup whatever it is. And get a chipped ECU and get it tuned. Problems solved.

This will definitley save you from headaches in the long run. I can help you out with such things, you can PM me if you have any questions on it.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

ive got the blue box..and theres no place around here to get it tuned....plus i dont have the money either...dynos are way expensive

i havent gotten the missing link yet, but ive heard on honda-acura.net and other places that it works, but i dont know if it would work if the wiring is bad or something ><; my fiances a mechanic but both of us dont get home to super late and its either been freezing or raining on the weekends (typical ya know)

i knew i should have never bought this car.....its a great car but someone else put the turbo on and now im having to screw with it

Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 AM

It really isn't that hard. It can only be a few things. Does the check engine light come on all the time? What size injectors does the car have?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

the check engine light stays on and was throwing a bunch of ingition codes, but i believe its because of the map sensor, after we cleared the ecu, it was only throwing code 3 which is map sensor high/low input...ive got the upgraded injectors that came with the kit, i dont know if i need to follow the entire wiring on the car......its always run a little rich, but it just started going crazy yesterday
Old 03-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked your FMU? I think the Greddy comes with the boost dependent 8:1 FMU. Check it, make sure it isn't stuck open or something. Is the vaccuum line on it properly. If I'm way out in left field, sorry, but thought I would try.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (MoonScryer)

yeah i think theres some ***** underneath the front cover of the fmu? cause i wanted to adjust vtec too....jeez i know NOTHING about this kit and wished there was someone around here who did...im gonna play with it a little bit when i get home....but i have no clule what im doing and i dont have much time cause ive got to be at work so ill have about an hour to look at it ><;
Old 03-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, only adjust the **** things a little, IF IT HELPS. There had to of been some sort of change to the car or the environment the car runs in for it to start doing this. Have you checked your O2 sensor? It is hooked up still? Check the vaccuum lines going to various things, are they all still hooked up ok? Did it get real warm up there recently, or rainy? I know it get real warm here in Atlanta, so you might have a weather change issue.

Check the O2 hookup, check it all the wall to the ECU for voltage. Check the FMU to make sure it isn't cooky.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (MoonScryer)

i know it isnt the fmu, because i unplugged it and it still did the same thing. it also looks like it was never changed either, so i think its the same as it came from the factory, which is good.....we just changed the 02 sensor recently so i dont think its that (of course its prob ruined now just like my plugs) i think i have been hearing osme kind of leak since ive had it, but i thought it was coming from the blow off valve...you only hear it when your not pushing the gas....and i check the map sensor and theres no vaccum lines, just wires, and theres a plug going form the turbo intake spliced into the map sensor wires...could that be screwing it up?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (modifyORdie)

it got a little warm here too...but i didnt think it would make it go psychotic ><: here is what i've learned about this problem so far:

1. Never buy OBDII
2. Never buy someone's project (duh i knew that..why didnt i listen?)
3. Never get a turbo kit unless you know what your doing OR make sure you put it on yourself so you know what you fucked up

other than that i'm still baffled....i took the map sensor off my integra and it didnt seem to help any so i know its gotta be wiring or vacuum or something.....is there a vaccum to the sensor? the only thing coming off of it was some wiring, but i notcied theres some lines ocming off the bottom of the throttle body, but they looked ok
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 AM

If you are throwing code 3 all the time then you either have a bad map sensor or have a problem with the wiring. CHECK WHERE THE EMANAGE splices into the wiring harness. My bet is it lies in there.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it sounds like you have a problem with the wiring. check all the connections/splices like 93turbo16 suggested. see if u can get a wiring diagram to look at as a reference. good luck.