Notices

MBC custom job...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBC custom job...

I wanted to run this by you guys to get your opinions.

I used to have a cheapie b&s MBC on my Z, but it stopped working not too long ago. I find the reason to be my newbie-turbo-*** let the b&s out when I was adjusting it. (Yeah I know, what a dumbass.)

So, needing a new MBC, I decided to just go ahead and order a Hallman MBC and be done with it. Today I went to the hardware store to get a small air compressor to use at the track among other things, and I happen to see an air regulator valve. I snagged it to use on the compressor and started to leave. Then I spot the 1/4" barb fittings... and an idea forms.. I grab two 1/4" barbs, a 1/4" coupler and go.

I took the barbs and couplers and "adapted" the regulator to be an MBC. Stuck it on the car and *boom*. It works prefectly. I can adjust to within .5PSI or so, and the regulator is rated for 160PSI. The adjusting part is lockable, so no accidental bumps of the boost setting. It has no boost creep or spikes, and is very easy to adjust. I don't plan on running it permanently since the Hallman is on the way anyway, but I had to run this by you guys and see what you thought.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow and post it.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: MBC custom job... (Dramier)

bump for pics
Old 10-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MBC custom job... (1.8T_EG)

Here are the pics, as promised.

Sorry it took me so long, wife took the car...

Feel free to ask any questions...

EDIT: Accidently made them URL's instead of images..

[Modified by Dramier, 11:42 AM 10/10/2002]
Old 10-10-2002, 10:47 AM

nice!!!... i am actually now considering this versus the c-speed ball and spring... couple questions though... how much did the air valve regulator cost you?... and what does gauge on it read?... actual psi?... did you still have to test run/check boost/adjust?... and lastly how do the internals of the regulator work?... is it just a bleed?... or does it hold shut then open at a certain pressure like the b&s?... lemme know... thanks...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MBC custom job... (1.8T_EG)

Air regulator + 2x 1/4" barbs + coupler = ~$8.00

Yep, 8 bux.

The guage reads 0 to 160PSI, and since I can't look under the hood while driving, I have no idea what it shows.. lol

Test run/check/adjust still applies. That's one of the reasons I ordered a Hallman, because they offer an "in-cabin" extension that allows adjusting the boost on the fly.

The regulator works on a valve system. It only allows a certain amount of pressure by. It uses this to fool the wastegate into thinking the proper amount of boost has not yet been reached, thus you can boost over stock. When the gate is fully closed you boost till you stop or until something blows. When fully open it boosts to whatever the wastegate is set to.. In my case, 7PSI. I've been able to adjust it by a single PSI, so it's pretty precise. So far NO creep or spikes at all.

You could easily make a simple B&S valve. They make a T-connection fitting that has 3 threaded holes. Put two 1/4" barbs on it, one screw. Add ball bearing and spring, fit on and adjust. The problem with them is they tend to have boost spikes for some reason, and aren't very precise with adjustments. Mine would set to 7, 10, 15 or 17, but would spike at least 3psi higher. That's what prompted me to get a better one.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:13 AM

mines is the same way!!!!!!!....haha....I don't have pics of it but it's the EXACT same thing as a GReddy MBC, but without the GReddy price...You barely have to turn it....It's great...Air compressor accessories work wonders!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:00 PM

Default Re: MBC custom job... (SiDESLiDE240)

so ya ive been checkin online for the regulators at lowes, home depot etc... and the cheapest i could find a regulator was $14 where did u get it from and whats the part # thanx
Old 10-10-2002, 12:12 PM

http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html

I got the "full race" version and it works extremely well. Very fast, and no spikes.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MBC custom job... (turbo craig)

I bought mine from a local hardware store called Harbor Freight. I highly doubt they are a major chain since I've never heard of them until moving here. I did however see the same regulator at Home Depot for 10 bucks. Check in your local stores in the section where they have air compressors and fittings.

By the way, it is notoriously hard to find the right parts on Home Depot's website.. better to just go and look, or ask the Pro Team desk if you can't find it. They -should- have one, but if not, any place that sells air compressors should have them.

[Modified by Dramier, 3:17 PM 10/10/2002]
Old 10-10-2002, 08:45 PM

thanx alot man
Old 11-17-2002, 06:23 AM

Default Re: MBC custom job... (turbo craig)

This thing is nice, however, im guessing putting the guage there is kind of useless since you can never see it reading anything positive (except a dyno maybe).

I wonder if there is a way to make a DIY Hallman MBC?
Can anyone get closer pictures of the components, I want to see if they have anything of the like at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware store around my house.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MBC custom job... (integra-modder)

Uh... a Hallman/Greddy/any brand MBC is nothing more than an Air Regulator Valve. That's all it is. Unless you have an electronic one featuring "fuzzy" logic or other nifty doo-dads, then you just have a really expensive ARV.

The guage is not necessary, and I saw versions that didn't have it. What you're looking for is a very common hardware part that is used to control the flow of air in a compressed air system. It's used on all kinds of things from air compressors to scuba gear. At your hardware store, head straight to the compressed air fittings area. You know, the place where they have all the hoses, guages, air tanks, compressors, etc.

I cancelled my Hallman since I didn't see why in the world I should pay $40 for what I made for $10. The only time I'm going to replace this MBC I've made is when I get ready for an in-cabin electronic, and I'm only doing that for the logic chips they feature. If you paid > $20 for an MBC, then you wasted money. I had a chance to look at a Hallman and Greddy MBC both, and they are just ARV's with stickers on them or chrome finish. This type of MBC isn't like the cheap $2 fish tank bleeders either. It doesn't spike and it doesn't break. I would recommend some kind of POV or BOV running an MBC system like this though, since backflow from the boost could head into your intake. I'm running the stock POV modified to blow off at 14 PSI. So far I haven't had a single problem whatsoever with this MBC.

As far as the parts go... you will see what I'm talking about when you look at the fittings in the hardware store. You will see 1/4" barb fittings and the ARV's. If you've ever spliced into any type of hose like 1/4" fuel hose or vacuum hose you will know exactly what the barb fittings are.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 AM

im actually refering to the parts that it would take to make an incabin boost adjuster....It would be a paint in the *** to drill holes in the firewall and send the boost/vacume lines through. So I wanted to get the parts that Hallman uses in their incabin controls.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:25 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: MBC custom job... (integra-modder)

I just picked one of these up a little bit ago at lowes. mine had 2 outlets for a guage and something else, but it came with little screw in caps so i dont even need to use the guage if i dont want. this device looks really simple, blow thru it and adjust the **** and u can feel it adding or reducing resistance. it also locks too. this will prolly work better than my turbo xs mbc, it spiked like a **** ( and one of the screws was stripped )