major oil leak after build....help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major oil leak after build....help

alright setup
96 gsr, aebs t sleeves, je pistons, full race rods, moroso pan and pickup, aebs headstuds, cometic headgasket, drag manifold, t3/t4 turbo, 10 an oil return(aeroquip), 4 an oil feed(goodridge). Walbro 255 lph fuel pump.

problem
just tried to start my car after putting the motor together and back in. had a few small bugs but fixed them before cranking the motor. i crank the motor and start it up, i shut it off after about 5 to 10 seconds because something seemed wrong. i look down and there was a lot of oil on the ground, probably most of what i put in. i checked the oil sending unit and the feed line and it is dry and not leaking, then looked at the oil filter, changed it and looked at the gasket for a tear or hole in the filter, none. fill it back up with oil and try it again, same problem. it is from the back of the block. it is also not my oil feed line. im guessing it has to be something with oil pressure to come out that fast. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major oil leak after build....help (JDMwhiteDC2)

hhmm i would clean the mess up put the car on stands fill it bakc up with oil and have a friend start it while i was underneath it yes start it while your underneath it be very very careful keep your head off to the side so it doesnt get hot oil on it and whatch where it comes from. good luck
Old 06-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major oil leak after build....help (mattcivic)

yeah i think im gonna have to. i just dont see where else it could possibly be coming from.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, ive been up all night...heres a little more info. i dont think it could come from the pcv box but i used a oem honda new o ring for that so i dont tihnk that, the oil sending unit, which is used for the oil feed is tight and has teflon tape on it. th oil feed line has teflon tape on the compression fitting and none on the AN fitting and i dont believe is leaking either. the part where the head meets the block is sealed well and there i no oil around the little lip between it and the gasket.

Modified by JDMwhiteDC2 at 8:39 AM 6/25/2005
Old 06-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok....the head gasket is on backwards and the hole for the oil for vtec is blocked off...fun...its my first motor but im still mad.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:02 AM

headgasket is on upside down, glad to see im not the only one to make this mistake.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

oh **** thats some funny ****. dont get mad im just playin but in the future if u look on the headgasket (OEMs) u will actually see an "UP" on it glad u spotted it and saved the motor im getting ready to assemble my engine im sure this will make me think twice about my head gasket good luck on the next start up.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mattcivic)

Damn I would be kicking myself in the *** if i did that. I did something similar sometime and forgot to put the dowel pins in, but i caught it before torquing the head down.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:55 AM

well i did it on an aftermarket gasket that didnt have it printed on there, mr. gasket i believe, but i felt really stupid still. but oh well.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMwhiteDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok....the head gasket is on backwards and the hole for the oil for vtec is blocked off...fun...its my first motor but im still mad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just about to suggest that. or sometimes you might have the wrong hg on there also. sounds like you have everything handled.