Notices

lsvtec build skunk2 pro1 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsvtec build skunk2 pro1 opinion

I am planning on doin a ls-vtec turbo build but i am lookin for a few opinions. going with a golden eagle sleeved block with either 81mm or 83mm arias pistons probally around 9.5 to 1 with manley rods,skunk2 pro series valve springs and retainers and ferrea valves stock size with precision sc61 turbo and victor x manifold with rc 750 inj already have stock ITR cams but an lookin at skunk2 pro1's and trying to figure out if it is worth it as far a streetability or stick with the ITR anything will help. share your knowledge
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lsvtec build skunk2 pro1 opinion

what your power goals?

heres evans most recent test with the pro1s vs the ctrs. He also talks about how the newest version does not have to be degreed in like the previous versions did
http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5518
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srmofo
what your power goals?

heres evans most recent test with the pro1s vs the ctrs. He also talks about how the newest version does not have to be degreed in like the previous versions did
http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5518
well my last build was a b16 with stock valve train and ITR cams and je pistons and eagle rods and stock sleeves and made 400 on 20 lbs but the sleeve cracked so im goin same thing but lsvtec but i figured with the new build more like 450 or more that is why i am wondering if the cams are worth it for the power gain that is why i am wondering about the streetability and idle of these cams bc there is someone local with a set that has 2k miles on them for cheap
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the pro1's in my car (degree'd of course) and it idles like stock almost. Im running the ID1000's though. That might be the difference.

BTW idle is set at 1100
Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SilverEk3dr
I've got the pro1's in my car (degree'd of course) and it idles like stock almost. Im running the ID1000's though. That might be the difference.

BTW idle is set at 1100
what kind of power gain did you get from them and what is the reliability of stuff wearing out because of them do most shops that do turbo work know how to deqree cams in how hard is it
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're not looking for 550+ hp, I wouldn't bother using anything but OEM cams.. The Pro1's do make power on the high hp stuff, but they don't work well if you are using any sort of log style turbo manifold.. I haven't gotten around to installing my Pro1's yet, I am still on OEM R cams, making 800+ hp at 30 psi on a BW S372.. I figure I'll see how quick I can go on these before I put in the Pro1's..
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
If you're not looking for 550+ hp, I wouldn't bother using anything but OEM cams.. The Pro1's do make power on the high hp stuff, but they don't work well if you are using any sort of log style turbo manifold.. ..
x2

not at all needed for 450whp. gsr cams would even work fine for this application. just stil with the type r's there a really nice cam with boost
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jody754
what kind of power gain did you get from them and what is the reliability of stuff wearing out because of them do most shops that do turbo work know how to deqree cams in how hard is it
I dont have anything to compare it too since this was the first time I had the car dyno'd. Tony1 degree'd the cams and tuned the car for me. Made 471hp 324trq @18psi on E85. Had some issues that were my fault so that where we had to stop. Luckily the car is not a daily driver. Its mostly a weekend warrior/track *****. So Im not so worried about stuff wearing prematurely
Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jody754
well my last build was a b16 with stock valve train and ITR cams and je pistons and eagle rods and stock sleeves and made 400 on 20 lbs but the sleeve cracked so im goin same thing but lsvtec but i figured with the new build more like 450 or more that is why i am wondering if the cams are worth it for the power gain that is why i am wondering about the streetability and idle of these cams bc there is someone local with a set that has 2k miles on them for cheap

Im in the process of building an lsv-t also, just cant seem to find time to assemble it....After emailing evans and discussing it, I choose the tuner1s. He said the pro1s tend to beat up valve train components and although its not a DD, Id like it to last a little while before I have to replace stuff. Bottom line was the additional amount of power I would get from the tuner1s to the pro1s didnt outweigh the additional cost of premature wear on the valve train. I choose after market because I was unsure of the condition of the stock components and I want to spin this f@*ker up to 9000-9500.

My power goals are around 500 with room to spare when I want more. GE 84mm LS block, 9.0:1cp piston,manleyrods, stock crank, ati dampener, skunk2 valvetrain, tuner1s, ID 1000 injectors,gt35r, CC stage 5 clutch, Racersteves treated gears, trac bars, blah,blah,blah you get the idea. The only thing holding me back from more power is my fuel system and possibly a bigger turbo. Its just a single walbro for now, but When I need it Ill proly just upgrade to dual walbros....

like everyone else has said stock stuff can get you there, but if you have the money now, tuner1s can never hurt.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

less than 600 don't bother
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SilverEk3dr
I dont have anything to compare it too since this was the first time I had the car dyno'd. Tony1 degree'd the cams and tuned the car for me. Made 471hp 324trq @18psi on E85. Had some issues that were my fault so that where we had to stop. Luckily the car is not a daily driver. Its mostly a weekend warrior/track *****. So Im not so worried about stuff wearing prematurely
yea thats basically all this will be is a weekend warrior but i was just wondering if it was worth spending the 400 bucks on or spend it on something else i keep hearing that it is harsh on the valvetrain but harsh as in if you even have the pro series valve train or not i guess i vould always just crank the boost up for my power gain but i also wonder whats the pros and cons of log manifold vs ram horn i have a log but am lookin at a ram horn
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pro 1's arent much bigger than the tuner 2's

I think if you use the right oil then it helps tremendously.

Basically I used them cause I got a good deal on them and was originally shooting for 550ish. I kinda liked the choppy idle too. Just gotta go back for the retune now.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd have to say that for all of these power goals, you can't beat the reliability of an OEM cam.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the new Pro1 Bandwagon, well racers use them so i want them in my 400hp street car. LOL Like You said for any of these power goals nothing beats the reliability of oem cams. People have made huge numbers on ctr/itr cams. pro1's add additional 40-60whp YES but thats when your talking about a drag car already making 800+ numbers. stick with oem people, no premature wear, stock idle and driveability.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Its the new Pro1 Bandwagon, well racers use them so i want them in my 400hp street car. LOL Like You said for any of these power goals nothing beats the reliability of oem cams. People have made huge numbers on ctr/itr cams. pro1's add additional 40-60whp YES but thats when your talking about a drag car already making 800+ numbers. stick with oem people, no premature wear, stock idle and driveability.
sounds good to me think that is what i will do thanks everyone for you time