Notices

lsv-t

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsv-t

ok so i have a ls vtec turbo build going and everyone keeps trying to tell me that it is going to blow up. it is really frustrating me, and has finally started making me doubt doing it.
i have a fully built head, valves, springs, retainers, port + polish
my block is a b18a and has about 30k on it, im throwing some 81.5 forged pistons in, and scat rods (which i believe are pretty much the same as eagle?) performance bearings, ARP bolts, gsr oil pump + pan, and i have eagle lsv kit. basic t25 turbo set up.
my main question is to those of you that run turbo lsvtec, have you had any problems? what are they? and how often?
and after tune will my motor be reliable? i know there are a few threads about this but they dont talk much about the downfalls and such.
so basicly, what are the chances i am going to blow my motor?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsv-t (blakh)

It all depends on how you drive it, how much you wrap it out, and the way you maintain it. I run a fully built ls-vtec turbo set up and the only issue I had was with my eagle crank that was in it, it kept spinning rod bearings 'till I finally changed out to a stock crank. Other than that I change the oil every 1500 miles or after running it hard. It all really depends man how much boost are you going to be running, block, power goals everything. The tune will help reliability by a lot however they all go man thats just how it is, save up some money for when it happens or invest in a daily driver.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default boosted LS-V t

Hope this answers your question......I couldn't find no good and reliable thread as well during a search...so here it goes..

Stock crank, mains, and sleeves.......cp's, crower billets, stock head, supertech valve train......block has been rebuilt at 81.5mm.....no block guard or aftermarket girdle....

turbo gt3582r and F-R manifold....

Tuned at pump gas 91 made 430hp 1 bar and 116 made 495hp 22psi and still making power, but I decided to stop due to the stock sleeves.....I think 400+ is plenty for a DD!!

This has been very reliable for almost a year now driving it normal and then beating to its fullest during track time! Until this recent tune....

Hope others chime in as well....

Good luck

Modified by mighty137 at 5:59 PM 12/18/2007
Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya thanks, i forgot to add that ,my crank will be balanced, ect. i keep telling people that from what i understood if you replace bolts and bearings with performance ones it should be ok. but everyone kept telling me your motor will blow, even mechanics. i hope a few others will post too.
thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just stock main bolts in this one on some ACL bearings...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted LS-V t (mighty137)

Bro, i really, really hope you can get a downpipe as soon as possible. Just look at your expensive radiator being fucked up.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's already fixed....that blk spot was when the wastegate dump tube broke and shot flames to the radiator...
Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else with lsv want to chime in? i would appreciate it.
and if there is something to watch out for or anything like that please let me know
Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (blakh)

you will want a larger turbo.

ive run lsvtecs for a few years now and toasted a few of them. first one was stock sleeves and it blew because i had a boost spike that maxxed out my fuel system. cracked a finger sized hole in the #3 cyl.

all other times ive had to take my motor apart were due to coolant and oil mixing along the headgasket. never blew one up after that first one.

all the setups were at very minimum street tuned and almost all dyno tuned before i beat the crap out of them or hit the track. tuning is the key.

stock mains will work fine. i use oem bearings
Old 12-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditch the t25 and get a holset hx35 youll be much happier!

I had a ls vtec turbo'd for a solid 2 yrs tuned by myself (learning how to tune etc) and it only blew up when i made it...running 22lbs tune to 18ish is a quick way to grenade a motor...but it was sooo much fun!

so yes a reliable ls/vtec can be had...just dont skimp on the little **** like new seals etc...