Notices

ls vtec

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec

hey im new to this whole turbo thing i currently have the ls vtec in pecies in my shop, im wondering if anyone would help me out with this, i have a eg si coupe mint, and ive been driving it for awhile now, but ive come to conclusion that its not fast enough lol, im wondering if anyone could give me a list of things i will new to properly boost my civic my goal is 450 whp. i have my turbo kit greddy t3/t4 injectors fual rail exceta, just want suggestions on pistion and rods plus a full head rebuild
Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Re: ls vtec

wiseco pistons are good
eagle rods are good
stage 2 cams, like skunk2 as well with the whole valvetrain.
on ur t3/t4 with a good tune shld see 450
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

yah but i wanna build my motor to beable to stand up to a bar of pressure, i need a good compression extimate
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM

You want to know what comp wld be good for you? or do you know what comp you want to acheive already?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM

and i dont understand your post abt pressure, at sea level theres is over 1 bar of pressure
Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see alot of people run LS turbo, but not many with LS-V. is vtec even worth it? are there power gains? or is it less beneficial than non vtec? this of course is all with turbo set ups. opinions? sorry for thread jackin. didnt wanna flood the forum
Old 12-18-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mayfly
i see alot of people run LS turbo, but not many with LS-V. is vtec even worth it? are there power gains? or is it less beneficial than non vtec? this of course is all with turbo set ups. opinions? sorry for thread jackin. didnt wanna flood the forum
no its pointless to build an ls-v and then turbo it, you might as well leave it as an ls for more reliability
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt55
no its pointless to build an ls-v and then turbo it, you might as well leave it as an ls for more reliability
your kidding right? LS-vtec will make a ton more power the vtec head flows a stupid amount more than a non vtec ls head. On 12lbs my ls vtec would have walked my ls on 18lbs with the same exact turbo setup. Im not against LS motors at all, actually i like them a lot tons of tourqe ftw but with ls vtec you get that and upper rpm power because ls motors dont like to make upper end power they are a mid range motor.

As long as you do forged internals and a good tune the car should make power and be reliable as a DD

Here is one of my current setups and goals to give you an idea

91 civic si stock chassis
LS-vtec engine B16 trans
LS bottom end stock bore
SRP pistons 9:1 cr
Eagle rods

B16 head 3 angle valve job
Skunk2 valve springs and ret's
Skunk2 Tuner 2 camshafts

Turbonetics 57 trim turbo
Blox cast iron turbo manifold
RC 1000cc injectors

Im shooting for the 350-400whp range im worried bout the turbo not being big enough and also i need to upgrade my clutch but other than that the setup will make the power without any issues.

And remember your head/cams make all your power, your bottom end is just a container that needs to hold together and withstand the power

good luck with your goals

Last edited by pettyboy69; 12-18-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pettyboy69
your kidding right? LS-vtec will make a ton more power the vtec head flows a stupid amount more than a non vtec ls head. On 12lbs my ls vtec would have walked my ls on 18lbs with the same exact turbo setup. Im not against LS motors at all, actually i like them a lot tons of tourqe ftw but with ls vtec you get that and upper rpm power because ls motors dont like to make upper end power they are a mid range motor.

As long as you do forged internals and a good tune the car should make power and be reliable as a DD

Here is one of my current setups and goals to give you an idea

91 civic si stock chassis
LS-vtec engine B16 trans
LS bottom end stock bore
SRP pistons 9:1 cr
Eagle rods

B16 head 3 angle valve job
Skunk2 valve springs and ret's
Skunk2 Tuner 2 camshafts

Turbonetics 57 trim turbo
Blox cast iron turbo manifold
RC 1000cc injectors

Im shooting for the 350-400whp range im worried bout the turbo not being big enough and also i need to upgrade my clutch but other than that the setup will make the power without any issues.

And remember your head/cams make all your power, your bottom end is just a container that needs to hold together and withstand the power

good luck with your goals
a fully built ls verses a fully built ls-v isnt going to be much of a difference
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a fully built ls verses a fully built ls-v isnt going to be much of a difference
you really have no idea what you are talking about so i would stop now before you make a fool of yourself.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please stop
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

im thinking a smaller turbo to dull the effect of low end leg, im not making this car for a dd, its gunna be a track car complettly gutted
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hybrdthry911
you really have no idea what you are talking about so i would stop now before you make a fool of yourself.
lol ok
Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going ls turbo, but my eventual power goals are going to be met with the help of ls-v. A stock vtec head verse a stock ls head....there is no comparison. B16 heads i think are the ****. I went with cp pistons, eagle rods. I havent built my head so really not much research into that. I like the cp's! I havent heard anything bad about wiseco though, lots of ppl run them. Dont go too low of compression though, because you will go through turbos faster. If you are worried about spool time, go with about a 10 comprresssion. (sorry for the typing errors...ive drank too much tonight)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
Im going ls turbo, but my eventual power goals are going to be met with the help of ls-v. A stock vtec head verse a stock ls head....there is no comparison. B16 heads i think are the ****. I went with cp pistons, eagle rods. I havent built my head so really not much research into that. I like the cp's! I havent heard anything bad about wiseco though, lots of ppl run them. Dont go too low of compression though, because you will go through turbos faster. If you are worried about spool time, go with about a 10 comprresssion. (sorry for the typing errors...ive drank too much tonight)
Why would low compression pistons make you "go through" turbos?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly
LS/Vtec is very benificial. It's easier to make power with a better flowing head, end point. My LS/Vtec turbo has been 100% reliable so far driving it everyday at 400whp. I don't beat on it all the time though, but it's seen it's fair share of WOT to redline through the gears. built head/bottom end.