Notices

Ls block weak sleeves??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls block weak sleeves??????

ok so i have a jdm b18b in my 91 hatch back and i have a 57 trim turbo and log manifold as the forced induction set up and the motor is completely shot i run it at 6 lbs for a long time on a 48 trim turbo and never have any problems but like most of you i want more all the time cuz i want it to keep up with my fast cars ha ha any way so i up it slowly go with a 57 trim on 6lbs then 8 then 10 then 12 then 16 then 18 then 19 re tuning every time i mess with it and so i do my first pull after my buddy gets back from tuning it.... holy crap this car hauls now at free way speeds 75 and up if ya drop it into third just spins and spins and this is on a ls trans so its fairly long and im very very impressed so i have fun iwth it for a few hours then my buddy hears about it and wants to race me in his modded evo so i say i will i race him once he pulls from me cuz im kinda a noob racer and spinnin at a 60 mph roll sucks ha ha ha so my buddy gets in the drivers seat and i ride along we go from 50 and he just holds the throttle in 3rd about 75 percent still spinning but getting a little bit of traction and the same time dead even with the evo and then he shifts from 3rd to 4th stabs it pulls away and BOOM oil water all over the wind shield i tear it all down and 2 of the sleeves are totally jacked like horrible ha ha ha i was laughing so hard but the thing that i dont understand is the pistons look perfect no detanation nothin so i know i was gettting enough fuel and there wasnt any ping or knock?? so im at a miss at how strong stock ls sleeves are oh ya and it either broke the bottom of #4 piston or shattered the rod i havent taken that one out yet. Is it just me or are ls stock sleeves kinda weak? im not sayin i wasnt pushin it too hard cuz i was but i thought that the pistons and maybe the rods would go first not the sleeves? cuz the rods and pistons out of the broken sleeves are still good not messed at all?... so give me some feedback cuz i was thinkin bout doin a bore and forged rods and pistons in a ls but whats the point if the sleeves are junk and will ruin my brand new forged pistons and rods? cuz i didnt think that 19lbs on a 57 trim turbo would be enough to totaly destroy sleeves and not rods and pistons? the other thing that is weird is the rod that broke is one of the sleeves that are still good not the broken one?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls block weak sleeves??????

paragraphs please
Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy f#ck dude, do you not know how to use punctuation? nothing made sense.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you tuned it yourself or had a sub part tuner tuning it at 19 psi with that turbo then there is your answer right there.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to run 19PSI SAFELY, then build it. you probably were detinating and you couldn't tell because of all the excitement. blame your tune and yourself for this. pushing it to the limit without a good tune. that's bad. I bet the backfiring sounded cool too.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cliff notes??
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something about how he boosted a LS block to 19psi on a 57 trim turbo, and the sleeves cracked but didn't noticed much damage to the pistons or rod, so he was wondering if his assumption that LS stock sleeves are weak is correct...
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

weak sauce
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Surprised the pistons didnt go first though. Probably beating the **** out of it and not letting it cool down weakened part of the sleeve.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

iv never overheated this block ever and the tuner is experienced tuned tons of cars he has tuned 14 of my turbo setups and plently of others and there is no detanation on the pistons, and the timing was very ver conservative btw and no ping, pops, backfire nothin so if you dont have anything constructive to say gtfo lol jk but seriously give me some good feeedback
Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Surprised the pistons didnt go first though. Probably beating the **** out of it and not letting it cool down weakened part of the sleeve.
like i said never over heated it and yes that is exactly what i was curious about that the pistons are all fine no broken ring lands or anything look brand new
Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smoovy
if you want to run 19PSI SAFELY, then build it. you probably were detinating and you couldn't tell because of all the excitement. blame your tune and yourself for this. pushing it to the limit without a good tune. that's bad. I bet the backfiring sounded cool too.
didnt backfire or pop dude this isnt my first boosted car obviously and the pistons are perfect so obviously not a detonation problem he was pullin 1.5 degrees of timing per pound up to 5 lbs of boost then yankin tons after that like gobs of timing. I wasnt lookin to make the car last i knew it was gonna blow fairly quik i just thought pistons and rods would give out way before sleeves, and this car is not my dd i was lookin to push the limit which i did.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redlinetuning
holy f#ck dude, do you not know how to use punctuation? nothing made sense.
sorry bout that lol i didn't have a ton of time when i first posted it
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Then don't post it, or do the absolute min - problem, suspected cause, and main turbo/engine parts. It's not hard.

Basicly I get its a stock B18B, 57trim t3/t04e, and 19psi street tuned, with 2 sleeves blowing at 19psi. IMO it was just too much power, maybe just a tad too much timing. Sleeves blow out mainly from detonation, but generally after pistons and rods. The other reason they go, which I suspect is mostly the cause - it too high of cylinder pressure. If you want a stock motor that can make 400whp daily, buy that guy's evo; otherwise, build a Honda motor.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... Still hard to read your posts Pettyboy69, but that's besides the point now. cracked sleeves are typically a result of ovalled cylinders, in other words, too much piston-wall clearances. Detonation will cause pistons to go, in result damaging the rod and cylinder walls. If your cylinders were honed poorly, or unevenly honed, your un-even piston-wall clearances will result in piston slap. Honda cylinders are tapered slightly, bigger at the bottom and smaller at the top. TDC clearances and BDC (if you will) clearances should be measured to ensure all cylinders aren't ovalled. There's a guage tool you can use to measure uneven spots inside. In your case, it probably wasn't detonation, just weakpoints in the cylinder walls.

LS sleeves are just as strong as B16A, B18C1/5 sleeves. It's just the condition of the cylinders from one motor to the next. Most people think LS sleeves are weaker, but not simply the case. LS motors just came with a lower compression, didn't mean they have inferior parts.