Notices

Look, oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Look, oil

Got the engine swapped in around 5 hours combined time. Started right up on the p28 and the hack(450ccs)(didnt have a functioning knock sensor for the H22, wanted to avoid CELS), so I decided to run it. Right out of the driveway, massive smoke all over. And there is oil literally dripping out the DP. So I swapped turbos with another turbo that was known to leek a little bit, but didnt smoke.

I decided Id better check the plugs considering I was running the H22 on the stock p28 ECU. They were a light tan, almost yellow color....I think this means lean.

So, I swapped in the P13 ECU(of course CEL right away) and take off with the other turbo. Still smoke all over the place, and this time there is oil all up and down the front of the block.

I then decided to check the compression: 200, 185, 185, 185. Thats decent for say an LSVtec or something, but I have no clue on the H22(they are like Chevy 350s to me at this point).
So, do you all think its the questionable turbo? Ring lands? Both? I peeped down into the spark plug holes, and the pistons arent wet or anything...
I dont have anymore turbos to try, so any other suggestions? I know I should perform a leak-down test, but I dont have the means to do so locally, unless someone instructs me how to build the guage myself, etc...
so whatcha think?
ps...the car is faster then hell, just needs to quit smoking...
pics:

Old 08-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (Tinker219)

where did you t into for your oil feed?
Old 08-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (legendboy)

back of the block, oil sender....
Old 08-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm intresting, it has to be something simple i bet! just start the car and have a look while its running!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Look, oil (legendboy)

Whadupy Cody. So when you swapped turbos was oil dripping out of the DP just as bad as it was before, better, worse?
Are you running 3" flex in front of engine for now? Could it be spraying oil on front of block? Clean surface area, re-route exhaust if necessary and take it for a slow spin and see where it's comin from.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (GITWIDIT)

Im borrowing a friends turbo that is GOOD, and Im going to try that. The inside of the head/manifold is dry, so tahts a good sign.
As for the oil all over the block from the DP, its a good possibility because the H series engines sit about 2 inches lower then stock(and angled back and up taboot), and having no hood on there would definately act as a huge air "ramp", bring any dripping oil along with it.
All you can see while the car is running is oil dripping out the DP...a drip a second or so. Ive gone through a quart of oil in about 5 miles
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your turbo is fuberd! I had massive oil leaking problems with my old T-25 setup kinda like what you described here.

Only my Turbo would leak out of both the turbine and compressor!

I smell either a rebuild or a new...(perhaps precision... ) turbo.

Bryson
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car/setup is sick. You are my new idle my friend. Hope you work out all the bugs.. Keep me posted of your progress..
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (Jason kiDD)

Whats the deal with all of our oil issues, cody?? me, you, your brother... WTF man!??!

Craig... we are going out to finish the car tonight... CEL is only because chip was burned with knock sensor and I dont have one. Once I get the new chip it should be CEl-free and we THINK we have the oil situation contained. Get my number from Chris or just come out with Chris.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Look, oil (phiberoptik)

I would make some janky header just to slap on real quick, to see if the oil stops when the turbo isn't on there. Then you'll get a better idea of what's going on.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:54 AM

When I did a compression test on the h22 it came out 220- across the board. Car was warm, but it only has about 3000 miles. Im thinking you might need to do a leakdown test?

Didn't know it was going into a delsol! Damn that looks good. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (youngkow)

i put my brothers brand new turbo on there(50 miles, ZERO smoke) and its even worse. I shut the car down before I sent a ******* rod through the block.
Welp, Ive already contacted Earl, time to get a Bensons sleeved h23 block (bummer because I was so close to purchasing a frame lift, but I need a car). Updates throughout the whole process, hopefully wont take too long(month or less would be sweet).
Over and out on this POS for now
-Cody
Old 08-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put my brothers brand new turbo on there(50 miles, ZERO smoke) and its even worse. I shut the car down before I sent a ******* rod through the block.
Welp, Ive already contacted Earl, time to get a Bensons sleeved h23 block (bummer because I was so close to purchasing a frame lift, but I need a car). Updates throughout the whole process, hopefully wont take too long(month or less would be sweet).
Over and out on this POS for now
-Cody</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, keep us posted on what the actual problem is. We do indeed have the same, or atleast very similar problems. MY car smokes like crazy but runs and drives like a bat out of hell. Let us know what you find out!
Thanks.
Mark
Old 08-06-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Look, oil (Jason kiDD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jason kiDD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That car/setup is sick. You are my new idle my friend. Hope you work out all the bugs.. Keep me posted of your progress..</TD></TR></TABLE>
IDOL.... posting that on a car forum can make you confused LOL
i thought you meant he was your car idle
Old 08-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (01ITR#700)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01ITR#700 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn, keep us posted on what the actual problem is. We do indeed have the same, or atleast very similar problems. MY car smokes like crazy but runs and drives like a bat out of hell. Let us know what you find out!
Thanks.
Mark</TD></TR></TABLE>
well now its a dog. Pretty much wont run anymore....Im pretty sure I heard a bearing spin,(or chunks of the piston slam into the turbine wheel), but we will see in a month when I pull everthing to swap in the Benson H23
Old 08-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ouch! that stinks
Old 08-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (5thgencivic)

I couldnt just let it sit there anymore, so I re-tested the compression...
210, 205, 203, 209....
did it again, and the same numbers popped up.
does anyone know if the H22 oil pans have wierd baffles inside that could impede oil flow from a turbo? I welded the return line with the pan on the car, so as far as I know, this is a good possibility. Tomorrow Im ditching the oil feed and using just a header...hope may not be lost...
Old 08-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Look, oil (phiberoptik)

What????? What the hell is goin on? I bet you sucked up some big *** misquito out in the sticks(thems corn fed). What do you think the clunk was? Keep us posted.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phiberoptik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Craig... we are going out to finish the car tonight... CEL is only because chip was burned with knock sensor and I dont have one. Once I get the new chip it should be CEl-free and we THINK we have the oil situation contained. Get my number from Chris or just come out with Chris. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Just got home from the watering hole, hit you in a few.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I couldnt just let it sit there anymore, so I re-tested the compression...
210, 205, 203, 209....
did it again, and the same numbers popped up.
does anyone know if the H22 oil pans have wierd baffles inside that could impede oil flow from a turbo? I welded the return line with the pan on the car, so as far as I know, this is a good possibility. Tomorrow Im ditching the oil feed and using just a header...hope may not be lost...</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, let me know if you need some help...figure that shyt out for the sake of both our ***'s. Hope the header shows some results
Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look, oil (redlineh22a)

sounds line you oil feed or return line is leaking.

My oil feed line was leaking so I had to take the entire kit and raditor off agian..GRRRR.